Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th March 2018, 01:52   #1
Retrorob
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Our cars are disappearing so fast

Some interesting but gloomy figures for the rapid reduction in the number of our cars left on the road/SORN. From the information shown on www.howmanyleft.co.uk the number of 75’s has reduced by 59% and ZTs by 49% since 2006/7.

In 2006 there were 98,000 Rover 75 and in 2007 19,327 ZT’s (327 on SORN) but by the 3rd quarter of 2017 numbers had reduced to 39,700 (8,700on SORN) and 9,900 (2,800on SORN). The number of cars lost between the 3rd quarter 2016/2017 were 7,100 and 1,300. The rate of loss has been roughly consistent over the past 2/3 years.

Whilst I have no way of knowing how accurate the figures shown by howmanyleft.co.uk are, if they are anywhere near right and the loss of cars continues at the same rate our cars will be a very rare sight on our roads in the not too distant future.

To my mind the situation makes the existence of this forum and the members wishing to keep these cars on the road and the knowledge that is shared very important. Long may it continue.
Retrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 02:15   #2
whyte850
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 Connoisser SE 2.0 L V6 Auto and 1950 Rover P4 75 Cyclops

Indeed it is a fast rate of decline and a double whammy at that because as there are less cars on the road it makes it less attractive to procure parts. However this forum seems to be busier than it was when I had my first 75 9 or 10 years ago which is great.

2019 Seat Mii Design

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6

2006 Renault Twingo MK1 LHD

1971 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe (Restoration project)
whyte850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 02:57   #3
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare with other cars from 1998 to 2005. I doubt there is too much support for the older Mondeo or Vectra etc. Apart from the small band of modifiers and rare hotter versions of mainstream cars I’m sure they are disappearing too.
Old 18th March 2018, 05:48   #4
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

More spare parts for those on the road
Old 18th March 2018, 06:52   #5
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

It's not too surprising really! People who aren't really interested in the 75, and for them it's "Just a car" will scrap them in an instant if an large repair bill arrives. With the value of some of these great 75's and ZT's being just a few hundred quid at the moment, virtually any garage bill will be more than the car is worth.

I purchased my 75 with the intention of keeping it for many years and at any cost. It will go up in value at some point, but that's not the reason I wanted one. To me, I see it as the last car from what was once the great british car industry. It turned out to be one of the best cars Rover ever built. I love driving it, I love the old style interior, I could go on and on lol.

The thing is, they don't seem too rare around my area. I see loads of them, both on the road and parked in driveways.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 07:02   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Talk about rare. Over here the only 75 or Zt I ever see are the ones I own or the one my daughter drives.
The odd ones for sale here either have issues and are cheap or low mileage great condition and asking 8k Aud.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 16:36   #7
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I purchased my 75 with the intention of keeping it for many years and at any cost. It will go up in value at some point, but that's not the reason I wanted one. To me, I see it as the last car from what was once the great british car industry. It turned out to be one of the best cars Rover ever built. I love driving it, I love the old style interior, I could go on and on lol.

The thing is, they don't seem too rare around my area. I see loads of them, both on the road and parked in driveways.
My thoughts exactly mate. I don't want a French, German or Japanese car - I want a great British car, designed by British minds and made with British hands on British soil. No idea why so many people sent their money to foreign lands when we had a thriving industry producing some great cars right here - with our own people employed in fulfilling jobs with real skills and abilities. They're not rare in my area either - I pass one or two every day but nobody ever waves back lol.
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 17:40   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
.......No idea why so many people sent their money to foreign lands when we had a thriving industry producing some great cars right here......
Sadly, in reality, I think we know. My father was a toolmaker in a business supplying the aerospace industry so knew more than a little about tolerances and the needs for quality. He bought many Austin/BL etc. cars.

Niggles and breakdowns and component failures with all of them culminating in a brand new Allegro going back for at least one and possibly 2 replacement gearbox(s) and never ending water leaks.

He went Ford (having previously vowed never to) which was better but still not brilliant then Japanese and never picked up the spanners again. Drive it, have it serviced, drive it again.

The days of lying under the car spannering it every weekend have long passed into the unacceptable.

In current terms a "no brainer" really.

Some got great cars, others duff ones and the great motoring public voted with their feet.

IMHO people demand reliability and if the quality control doesn't produce that then expect to fail.

I'm hearing some very disturbing reports about MINI clutches so, guess what, there're not on my list for consideration nor are several German models that seem to be trading on their historical reputation rather than their current one.

I realise that with all things stuff can go wrong but reducing the odds is an effort worth doing in my book.

So I bought a Rover 75......One driver from new, a folder full of paperwork and clearly much loved.

Keep an open mind.

Provenance is everything. .

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 18th March 2018 at 18:48..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 18:57   #9
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare with other cars from 1998 to 2005. I doubt there is too much support for the older Mondeo or Vectra etc. Apart from the small band of modifiers and rare hotter versions of mainstream cars I’m sure they are disappearing too.
No scientific evidence but when I've made similar checks on my Fords it seems quite normal for only 10% of original production to be still around after about 15 years and only the most desirable models (think RS Turbo, XR3i, Sierra Cosworth etc.) after bout 20 years with just a sprinkling of 'barn finds' of the lesser types.

With values for our cars at rock bottom and insurance companies unsympathetic, any small bump or minor MOT failure will result in all the remaining (non-enthusiast owned) cars going to the crusher.

On the positive side, on the M25 this afternoon, in the snow, I spotted a black ZT, a 214 or similar, a K reg 820i fastback or similar plus a couple of ZS's. Not together and not going in the same direction.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 19:05   #10
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

After years of lying on cold drives under broken cars my wife often says to me, 'You say that make of car is appalling, but you say that about all of them - you think ALL cars are NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-!' And as usual, she's right! I've had much worse cars than British cars over the years - usually French but don't even mention FIAT to me or I'll have a nervous breakdown!
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote