Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2018, 17:09   #1
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Club SE: BRG, Deep Sea Green and plenty of options

Default Hi-Line equipped car multiple malfunctions, advice please!

My car is a 75 Tourer with Hi-Line, Harmon Kardon, FBH and parking sensors.

So, last week my wife reported that the radio started playing up (screen went 'strange') then went off altogether, and the indicators stopped working, along with the central locking. It resolved itself, but started again next day. On investigation, the indicators themselves were working, but the tell-tales on the dash weren't.
After reading threads about K-bus issues (and once I'd educated myself about what this actually meant) I started to unplug a few things yesterday.
I unplugged:
  • TV module (had some corrosion under it as the wheel well is a bit damp)
  • Radio receiver
  • Head unit
  • SatNav
  • Fuel Burning Heater
When I reconnected the battery this didn't seem to have worked- the indicator tell tales still didn't work for instance. So, I reconnected the radio receiver and head unit, and at this point the radio didn't work, indicator tell tales didn't work, the oval LCD panel didn't work, had 'Err' on the Climate Control and the central locking didn't work.

I did some more reading last night, and noticed the advice about needing half an hour or so for a battery-off reset.

Today, when I went out to the car, while the radio screen is kaput (it shows pale illumination whether off or on, but no display) but the radio does work, as does the locking/tell tales etc and the oval LCD screen.
The plenum is definitely dry, and while the spare wheel well is wet, the right hand side wheel arch area with the Sat Nav etc is bone dry. I haven't had time to get into the left hand wheel arch yet.

I've now unplugged or removed the following:
  • TV module
  • Radio receiver
  • Head unit
  • CD Changer
  • Harman Kardon Amplifier
  • SatNav
  • Fuel Burning Heater

I aim (if all goes according to plan) to re-introduce items one by one.
The questions I have at this time are:
  • Is the multiple error situation I was left with yesterday possibly down to not leaving a long enough time for a reset?
  • Should the Hi-line screen work with the TV module removed? I'm sure I read somewhere that it should, so I suspect I need a new head unit...
  • Could the screen fault be a symptom of a fault elsewhere?
  • If the fault reoccurs with all these things removed, what would be the most sensible things to look at next? I was thinking of disconnecting the Climate Control and Parking Sensors as a first step.
Apologies for a long explanation but I wanted to cover it all... Any comments/advice gratefully received!
Old 11th March 2018, 17:44   #2
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Best to send a pm to marinabrian buddy
I’m sure he’ll be able to help
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 07:01   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Hi Karl, this type of issue is normally difficult to isolate, however memory seats, and PDC can also cause this, as well as LSM rain sensor ecu etc etc.

There is no need to disconnect the battery to see if the last step you carried out has solved the issue, as on ignition on, once the climate control has carried out it's self test successfully "Er" will no longer be displayed.

Here is a diagram of the Kbus layout to see what is actually connected.

And the locations of the headers which contain the individual wiring to each module.

This type of fault is notoriously difficult to trace, and T4 won't necessarily help, however working methodically keeping track of what you have done, isolating the offender will happen

Best of luck and let us know how you get on please.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kbus.jpg (96.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg CO291.jpg (101.1 KB, 93 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 07:15   #4
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

When I had the same indicator issue it turned out to be water ingress to the reversing sensor module in the boot. Once it was removed the issue was gone. A lot of these faults are water ingress related.
Old 12th March 2018, 07:34   #5
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Many thanks Brian, that diagram is really useful. The car seemed to be behaving last night (though I found a damp patch in the headlining just in front of the interior light switches, with no evidence of where it came from) so I'm going to see if it remains ok for a couple of days before adding anything back in....

I'll post when I've come to a conclusion about the cause (I hope!).
Old 12th March 2018, 19:01   #6
allegroman
Gets stuck in

So... despite a wet night and soggy day, the car seems to be working well today, which does seem to suggest that something I've disconnected is the problem. If the fault doesn't re-occur tomorrow I'll start to reconnect things.
Old 15th March 2018, 07:05   #7
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Ok, FBH reconnected for a day and no faults thrown up, so that seems to be narrowing it down to part of the Hi-Line set up.

Which brings me to the head unit- can anyone confirm that the screen should still function when not all components are connected (i.e. with TV/SatNav removed)? If it should then the head unit seems to be kaput and I'll source a replacement...

Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:33   #8
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Ok, further advice now definitely required!

All week the radio has been working, and the indicators/central locking etc functioning fine. The only problem is: a blank screen, with faint illumination (so it's gently glowing but blank). I plugged everything back in tonight (so, CD changer Sat Nav and TV module) and it's the same. Radio working, but screen malfunctioning.

I'd got hold of a head unit from Ebay, so I plugged that in and the screen on that is entirely blank (as in off completely).

So, the questions I now have are:

1: Does it sound like I've bought a dud head unit?

2: Does everything need to be plugged in and working for the head unit screen to work correctly?

Any help welcome, totally at a loss as what my next move should be.
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:44   #9
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Sounds like the video module in the boot has failed, mine is doing the same at the moment. I have tried it with a borrowed unit and everything works normally.
A very kind customer of mine has a replacemnt that he's going to drop off for me when he's over this way next.

Looks like it was the cause of your K-bus problem too. Do you know anyone who could let you try with theirs to confirm if it is causing the problem.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:23   #10
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Sounds like the video module in the boot has failed, mine is doing the same at the moment. I have tried it with a borrowed unit and everything works normally.
A very kind customer of mine has a replacemnt that he's going to drop off for me when he's over this way next.

Looks like it was the cause of your K-bus problem too. Do you know anyone who could let you try with theirs to confirm if it is causing the problem.

Russ
Unfortunately no I don't.

So, a faulty video unit stops the screen working altogether. I assumed it was just a TV tuner I must admit. The unit does show signs of corrosion to the bottom of the case so that would make sense.

I am puzzled as to why the two head units don't have the same appearance though- one blank but slightly illuminated, one totally blank...