Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2017, 15:41   #21
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
- - - pulley only appears to have a very thin rubber in the center of the 2 metals on the front- - that looks sound - is there more rubber on the rear?
Sure is:

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:31   #22
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
resurrecting an old thread I know but

we had a look at what we thought was a failed crank pulley today and arnt sure - we have a ticking noise on lift off and its varies with revs - the crank pulley only appears to have a very thin rubber in the center of the 2 metals on the front (i havent removed it ) that looks sound - is there more rubber on the rear ?
Worth whipping the belt off and feeling all the pulleys for play. A worn water pump gives a similar sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuHeZmkcyrs
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:39   #23
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Worth whipping the belt off and feeling all the pulleys for play. A worn water pump gives a similar sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuHeZmkcyrs
Id rather change a bottom pulley...
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:17   #24
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Me too Andy, but needs must.
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:27   #25
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

Default May this be the Crankshaft pulley failed?

This morning went to reverse my car out the garage only to be welcomed with this noise:

https://youtu.be/QkABFohHUrk

Sent this video to a friend of mine and he's forwarded it onto a mechanic. He reckons it's inside the engine, possibly the cam chain or one of it's tensioners. What puzzles me is that with revs, at above 1500rpm the noise goes away.

I thought maybe a tappet, but on my other car when a tapped failed (dry) the tempo of the ticking/rattle went accordingly with the revs.

The symptoms where that on steering lock, or when the steering pump worked the rattle came on. Then after a bit the rattle is always on at idle. At first I thought it'd be the steering pump. Then the noise can be heard, sort of internally, top left of the engine (in front of driver in RHD car/ passenger on RHD car).

I soooo hope it's the pulley and not the cam chain as it'll be an expensive bill!

Already looking at parts:

https://www.recambioscoches.es/oen/l...0aArV8EALw_wcB

Corteco is the one to go for, right? Land Rover reference. May do a stock check tomorrow at local Land Rover dealer.

Would you advise just the pulley
https://www.recambioscoches.es/corteco/2102634

or also the pulley and screw kit?
https://www.recambioscoches.es/corteco/7706133

TIA!
jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 22:33   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordimussol View Post
This morning went to reverse my car out the garage only to be welcomed with this noise:

https://youtu.be/QkABFohHUrk

Sent this video to a friend of mine and he's forwarded it onto a mechanic. He reckons it's inside the engine, possibly the cam chain or one of it's tensioners. What puzzles me is that with revs, at above 1500rpm the noise goes away.

I thought maybe a tappet, but on my other car when a tapped failed (dry) the tempo of the ticking/rattle went accordingly with the revs.

The symptoms where that on steering lock, or when the steering pump worked the rattle came on. Then after a bit the rattle is always on at idle. At first I thought it'd be the steering pump. Then the noise can be heard, sort of internally, top left of the engine (in front of driver in RHD car/ passenger on RHD car).

I soooo hope it's the pulley and not the cam chain as it'll be an expensive bill!

Cam chain and tappet problems on these particular engines are pretty much unheard of.

My own car has covered 396k miles and all the tappets and both camchains are fine. Come to think of it the crank pulley is also original and quiet.

Listening to your video clip it does sound like the pulley is starting to fail but worth whipping the serpentine belt off and checking all the other pulleys for roughness and play just to rule them out before splashing out on any parts.

Oh and don't let that mechanic get anywhere near your car, or it could cost you a small and very likely unnecessary fortune.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 22nd March 2018 at 22:38..
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:10   #27
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Cam chain and tappet problems on these particular engines are pretty much unheard of.

My own car has covered 396k miles and all the tappets and both camchains are fine. Come to think of it the crank pulley is also original and quiet.

Listening to your video clip it does sound like the pulley is starting to fail but worth whipping the serpentine belt off and checking all the other pulleys for roughness and play just to rule them out before splashing out on any parts.

Oh and don't let that mechanic get anywhere near your car, or it could cost you a small and very likely unnecessary fortune.

I thought so when I heard the guy saying cam chain and opening up the engine and all that malarkey... Especially when above 1500rpm the noise goes away. And especially when the noise started as I was turning the steering wheel (putting load on steering pump).

I'll see if I can buy the pulley (to save time) and have a proper look this weekend.

From my experience with other cars, remove front wheel to get access to engine and from there get access to the crank pulley. Hope I got big enough tools to loosen the screw.
Old 28th March 2018, 12:57   #28
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

So guys, after some time looking at the thing and ordering parts and waiting for such parts to arrive, I ordered a new crankshaft pulley just to 'gain' some time.

Anyway... I've posted on a facebook group about my findings and there IS a way to check that the pulley has failed without removing anything.

If your pulley looks like this:

Then it's bad news. The rubber damper has failed and the inner ring is spinning inside blocked by the outer ring.

If it's ok, it should look like this:

The damper allows the inner ring to spin back and forth ever so slightly to soften/ease the belt movement. When it does fail, you may hear a click when you turn the engine on.

Hope this helps.
Old 28th March 2018, 13:40   #29
JonMs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Just to clarify..........if the rubber blocks come up against the metal stops it shows that there is movement? They should be in the middle of their "range" ?
JonMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 13:42   #30
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMs View Post
Just to clarify..........if the rubber blocks come up against the metal stops it shows that there is movement? They should be in the middle of their "range" ?
yes, the clank, clank of a failed pulley is the outer moving against the inner but the tang shows torque deformation as the rubber denatures over time...