Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2015, 05:11   #11
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleysox View Post
Members carried out this repair at the nano this week. thanks for the info saved the member day thanks for a very useful how too

Yes many thanks I love simple and cheap workarounds like this one

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 07:01   #12
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleysox View Post
Members carried out this repair at the nano this week. thanks for the info saved the member day thanks for a very useful how too
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Yes many thanks I love simple and cheap workarounds like this one

Thanks fellas, glad I could share my idea with all of you.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 21:49   #13
Dallas
This is my second home

Update!
Its now been over one year, and my one little screw mechanism is still doing its job.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:33   #14
NickC
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Spinning boot barrel mod/fix by using just 1x screw.
No replacement parts needed.

One day my key would just turn around in the boot barrel without actually opening the boot.

The cause of this problem is due to the alloy metal end piece within the barrel breaks in two places.
There is a large black plastic triangle piece that has two plastic lugs which slot into the alloy section, the two plastic lugs also break.

This then causes the key barrel to just keep turning without unlocking the boot, this is due to the broken lugs not able to turn the triangle piece section that triggers the micro switch to unlock the boot catch.

IF YOU CANNOT SOURCE A REPLACEMENT LOCK.
THEN THIS HOW TO WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO FIX YOUR MECHANISM BY USING JUST 1x METAL SCREW.

YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BARREL & MECHANISM OUT FROM THE BOOT.
ALL CAN BE PERFORMED WITH THE BARREL/MECHANISM STILL IN SITU (still fitted to boot).

1: Removed the boot door-card by popping out the black plastic fixers. You will see the boot barrel mechanism top right of boot.

2: Pop out the metal striker bar from the red clip that is attached to the large plastic triangle end piece.

3: With a small flat headed screwdriver carefully removed the cir-clip and carefully lift the black plastic triangle end piece downwards (you may find the metal alloy broken pieces and the black plastic lugs will just fall out).

4: The metal alloy end piece will stay in its position, you will not have to disturb this section at all.

5: Remove the spring from the black plastic triangle piece and inspect the two lugs. You will most probably find one or both plastic lugs have broken off, this is why your key barrel just spins (you will just see a footprint where the lugs were attached).

6: Drill one hole exactly to the centre on each lug footprint, use a small precision drill bit. Please Note: Only one hole will be used, this is because I found the cir-clip would cover the other hole, even when adjusting the cir-clip over to one-side).

7: The screws must not be to long, no longer that the black collar moulding (you can just see the tips of each screw).

8: Only one screw will be needed. Remove both screws from the black plastic triangle piece.

9: Now refit the spring back into the black plastic triangle piece, making sure you hook both ends of the spring over the plastic edge moulding.

10: You can now reassemble the black plastic triangle piece back onto the barrel lock mechanism in the boot. Just offer-up the triangle piece over the barrel centre pin and line up the ends of the spring to the lower gaps in the metal alloy end piece (the piece that has broken where the plastic lugs would normally slot in). Everything just slots in carefully, once all in place you can refit the cir-clip.

11: You will find the cir-clip will cover one hole, you can rotate the cir-clip but one hole will always be covered. So choose a hole that suits you and screw in the small screw. The screw is now in position where originally one of the black plastic lugs would normally be, this screw will now act as one of the lugs as a stopper to turn the triangle piece to strike the micro switch when the key is turned.

12: Job done.

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.
The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of this How-To can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result
of you following this How-To.
Ive the same problem, my key just turns, although I can open the boot from inside the car. I have followed your instructions and yes, the alloy parts have broken away although the two black plastic lugs are still intact. The screws that you used surely just replace the black plastic lugs so do I break them off and use this method or is there another fix? Many thanks for any help..
My Vehicle DOB :- Thursday, 10th July 2003 @ 11:53:15
It was the 9,767th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
It was the 2,923rd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
It was the 285th ZT in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 661 Royal Blue ZTs

Cost When new with options = £27,785

Also born on this day...
146 75s
13 75 Tourers 104 MG TFs 108 ZRs
35 ZSs
45 ZTs
15 ZT-Ts
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:54   #15
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

You are a star! Many thanks, bookmarked for future reference 👍😀
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 13:26   #16
Le Mans 190
I really should get out more.......

RIP Le Mans 190 :(

Just fixed mine using this method, Well please and an easy mod to do

Thanks
Le Mans 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 18:50   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

I'm glad this method is still being used, my lock is still going strong after 3 years.
Old 15th March 2023, 15:57   #18
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Unable to find any replacement barrel I came across this gem of a tutorial. Thanks
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2023, 20:12   #19
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Here is a small update. In my case the cast iron piece was shattered to pieces which means there was nothing left to push against the plastic lugs or replacement screws.

Last month I saw exactly one Rover 75 in a breaker's yard; a diesel with almost everything either missing or broken, but when I went back last Saturday it turned out to still have a working boot lock, so mine is fixed. Very happy with that.
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 20:10   #20
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Greetings Westley. Thanks for the reply and excellent info.