Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th September 2007, 15:48   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default A chipped but is it a replacement engine ECU or not, what do you think?

I probably could have thought of a more obscure title but ..........

Billnick came to see me today for a Testbook session on his way back home to the North East. He bought Matts lovely BRG Saloon that was for sale a while ago.

Once on T4 a couple of weird things presented themselves, firstly T4 could not talk to his FBH which made extracting fault codes from the car a bit more involved than usual, the FBH can be a bit funny on the K bus plus this car has a Telephone based Telestart which may be the culprit so I wasn't too concerned about that.

What caught my eye was Testbook reported his Engine ECU as not being correctly coded and with an incorrect Vin number, to us perhaps this is interesting, we all believe we can't fit a second hand ECU to our cars because the car won't start as the engine and immobilser ECUs won't match and you can't code a previously coded ECU to the car.

Now this car has been remapped I believe by Upsolute so I expected T4 to possibly offer to reflash the ECU back to standard as not all remaps are truly invisible despite the claims by the suppliers and therefore I expected something to show up but not an incorrect Vin Number.

Normally Vin and ZCS Codes are correct but other checks on the Engine ECU that Testbook automatically does throws up warning messages that something is amiss

In Bills car the engine ECUs ZCS codes were all Zeros and the Vin number relates to a 2003 CDT Tourer (checked on the EPC) certainly not a 2001 CDT Saloon!

Taking a stab in the dark maybe Upsolute write a standard ECU map which includes a default Vin rather than downloading each cars ECU Map, changing just the bits that matter then rewriting it.

What I find baffling is if that is the case why does he not have an immobiliser related problem, i.e why does the car run with what to it must be an alien ECU?

Fortunately Sworks gave me an ECU to play with at the Holker meet
I might be Brave and plug it in to the Tourer I am fixing and see what happens once I have it all back together again.

How this may have happened is a mystery and hopefully Bill will contact Matt to see if the car has had a replacement ECU
It would also be worth him dropping a line to Upsolute to ask if the remap contains a default Vin code as that would then make sense
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 18:06   #2
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I recall seeing different vin numbersin ecu's in a few cars a long time ago. T4 would just say there was a mismatch ecu and would request a retune. Never thought much about it other than the factory entered the info incorectly! If you have problems communicating with a system try a different way, a general search through all systems or just a sub system test

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 18:15   #3
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

arent there a few other upsolute cars in the club that could help get to the bottom of...?
Interesting development to knowledge of how it all works though...
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 18:51   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I recall seeing different vin numbersin ecu's in a few cars a long time ago. T4 would just say there was a mismatch ecu and would request a retune. Never thought much about it other than the factory entered the info incorectly! If you have problems communicating with a system try a different way, a general search through all systems or just a sub system test
That is exactly what is happening a bit odd isn't it and yes because the FBH was playing silly bu****s I resorted to subsystem tests to read the fault codes from each ECU which was a bit of a pita!

Might shoot my plan to use the ECU you gave me in the foot to try and get the thing to request ZCS codes though!

Cheers again anyway
Old 27th September 2007, 19:05   #5
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Just had a quick browse on their web site, and certainly looks the part. http://www.upsolute.com/eng/main.html

They've got 2 distributors in the UK.

I'm going to contact them to see if they can help with getting my cruise control up and running.......
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 21:33   #6
billnick
Loves to post

ex 75

Thumbs up

Hi Keith, First of all thanks to you and your good wife for the coffee and biscuits, and the use of the T4, got back ok and have read your post regarding ECU, so have emailed Matt to try and get some answers, will keep you updated.
regards bill.
billnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:07   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Keith i have that remap and although you originally had a problem communicating, it didn't say wrong ECU number or anything as far as i remember.
We can run mine through again when i get back to check if you like.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:40   #8
mattl
Avid contributor

MG ZT260 SE

The car to the best of my knowledge has not had a new ecu.

Whilst i owned the car it had been on testbook a few times with no problems. The first time was under my supervision when i got a mate to rest the service interval indicator. No problems then! I think this was before the remap.

The 2nd time was for the spare key, i cant recall if this was before or after the remap. Bill has the receipts for both items of work i believe. He definately has the receipt for the key, which could then be checked against my report on the .org site. But again no problems reported back to me.

Im sure the comms with the fbh is due to the telestart, although it did have a brand new fbh and pump under my ownership, which i fitted.
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:41   #9
mattl
Avid contributor

MG ZT260 SE

Just to add Simon Coe did the remap and removed the ecu and removed the chip and reflashed it and then resoldered it and refitted the ecu. He keeps all of the customers old maps to be able to return to standard if required.
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 15:17   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Hi Matt

That's interesting I had no idea they took the chip out I thought it was all done via the OBD port

That probably explains what I noticed though, chances are they use a default map hence the odd Vin number but that map is also suitably reworked not to upset the immobiliser etc unless that side of the ECUs operation is held in a different chip so not affected.

Otherwise Simon would have to edit each individual ECU map and that would take a while.

You can see where this is leading me, has Simon unknowingly developed a way that could allow the re use of second hand ECUs, as that would be worth knowing?