Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2018, 09:22   #1
john robinson

rover 75 saloon

Default VIS motors on Rover 75 2.5l v6

has anyone got any information on the rear VIS motor, i have faults showing when i have it plugged in. nothing is showing on the dashboard, i have had both VIS motors replaced. the rear VIS motor intermittently shows a fault nothing showing on dash can anyone give me any help in what it could be?
john robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 09:37   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john robinson View Post
has anyone got any information on the rear VIS motor, i have faults showing when i have it plugged in. nothing is showing on the dashboard, i have had both VIS motors replaced. the rear VIS motor intermittently shows a fault nothing showing on dash can anyone give me any help in what it could be?[/QUOTE
]

HI John.
I am sure our resident Vis master will be along sometime soon and he will certainly point you in the right direction ( stocktake)

It could be the flap sticking maybe, when were the vis motors replaced ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 15:20   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Steve

John, unless the codes have been cleared then it could be old codes from previous failure. You need to clear the codes and go for a spirited drive and see if any codes return.

If they do then you know you have a fault. A faulty VIS motor will not bring any warning lights on the dash and most people think the apparent sluggishness of the V6 is just how it is.

My experience is that people will suffer a loss of torque or poor fuel economy or a little of both, depending on what has failed and in what position.

Now if you are handy with a soldering iron i can guide you through what you need to do to attempt repairs but the top one (Power) is easier to fix than the back ( Balance ) one. Sometimes it is best to strip everything out and start again with all new components.

I'm only in Leeds and you are welcome to pop round or I could call at yours one day if i'm passing and we can have a look. I do upgrade these motors if needed but obviously that would incur a cost as it entails all new components and one off modifications including the introduction of a sealed bearing but they are far more reliable. Any advice and assistance though is and always will be free

If you fancy a run out this weekend 23rd /24th I will be at the Midlands Nano meet all weekend (Wolverhampton), free to attend and there is a wealth of experience to draw from. We are booked into the Spread Eagle overnight just up the road. Pretty certain we would be able to sort them there. No money is ever asked for or offered at these meets, it is just a group of like minded people helping each other.

Click on the link on Arctic's signature for more info.

D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 20th June 2018 at 14:42..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 17:36   #4
john robinson

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Thanks for the heads up Steve

John, unless the codes have been cleared then it could be old codes from previous failure. You need to clear the codes and go for a spirited drive and see if any codes return.

If they do then you know you have a fault. A faulty VIS motor will not bring any warning lights on the dash and most people thing the apparent sluggishness of the V6 is just how it is.

My experience is that people will suffer a loss of torque or poor fuel economy or a little of both, depending on what has failed and in what position.

Now if you are handy with a soldering iron i can guide you through what you need to do to attempt repairs but the top one (Power) is easier to fix than the back ( Balance ) one. Sometimes it is best to strip everything out and start again with all new components.

I'm only in Leeds and you are welcome to pop round or I could call at yours one day if i'm passing and we can have a look. I do upgrade these motors if needed but obviously that would incur a cost as it entails all new components and one off modifications including the introduction of a sealed bearing but they are far more reliable. Any advice and assistance though is and always will be free

If you fancy a run out this weekend 23rd /24th I will be at the Midlands Nano meet all weekend (Wolverhampton), free to attend and there is a wealth of experience to draw from. We are booked into the Spread Eagle overnight just up the road. Pretty certain we would be able to sort them there. No money is ever asked for or offered at these meets, it is just a group of like minded people helping each other.

Click on the link on Arctic's signature for more info.

D...
Thanks for your offer of help Ive had the car approx 2year its now got 30000 miles genuine.know the original owner.(had 6 -75s over the years , all diesel. 2.5v6 retirement. present.) Your offer to visit from Leeds is more than welcome. I will have the watercress or Bacon sandwiches ready.I am in most days and im sure we can pre arrange things. Regards John Robinson.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:09   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john robinson View Post
Thanks for your offer of help Ive had the car approx 2year its now got 30000 miles genuine.know the original owner.(had 6 -75s over the years , all diesel. 2.5v6 retirement. present.) Your offer to visit from Leeds is more than welcome. I
Quote:
will have the watercress or Bacon sandwiches ready.I am in most days and im sure we can pre arrange things. Regards John Robinson.
HI John.
Make sure he as the watercress sandwiches as he is banned from bacon sarines

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 11:49   #6
john robinson

rover 75 saloon

Hi Stocktake,

sorry i haven't been back with anything my ex wife passed away and iv been out in spain dealing with things.
i am due to got back out tomorrow until friday the 3rd August.
how can we arrange a meet either in leeds or in wakefield just off j41?

looking forward to hearing from you!

regards

john
Old 24th July 2018, 12:13   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi John, You have a PM

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 15th August 2018, 16:21   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Had a ride out to see John today, really well cared for 2000 2.5 V6 with under 40k on the clock.

The garage had apparently fitted 2 "fully reconditioned" VIS motors.

The power one had the plug silicon-ed on but at least it worked, managed to clean that up but the balance one was dead, opened it up to reveal it had two wires soldered in where the tracks had blown on the pcb and the motor fitted in the vis was drawing 4 amp. Not a chance of working.

Replaced the pcb in the balance vis and fitted a replacement motor drawing 60ma. All done and dusted.

John, thankyou for the cuppa, that was payment enough. See you again soon