Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th May 2018, 10:26   #1
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Default Broken rear spring - MOT fail or not?

The rear springs on my tourer both snapped within a few months of each other over 5 years ago.

In each case, only the bottom half turn of the spring broke, and the height of the car was unaffected

After replacing one rear spring, I recall being told by someone who I had believed was informed, that this was not an MOT failure.

The car has been MOT tested more than 5 times since the original failure.

I had also assumed that the lower seat of the spring was not viewable with the wheels on and that could be why it was not noted.

I have just had the car MOT'd and it failed due to "Offside Rear Upper coil spring broken (2.4.C.1a)" and two other items that I have since rectified.

I would have had a go at replacing the spring, but I am struggling to undo the ARB drop-links as the nuts are just rotating and I cannot see any suitable flat section to get a spanner onto.

I need to take it to another MOT station and pay again, because the original centre does not have any convenient appointments and it has been over 10 days since the failure.

From these photos of the spring, would it look like a definite or marginal MOT failure ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20180518_110658.jpg (130.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg _20180518_110745.jpg (123.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 18th May 2018, 10:58   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Broken spring

At the end of the day the spring is broken so it needs replacing.I have replaced mine with out having to remove/un doe the ARB,Just disconnect the lower shock absorber bolt this will allow the arm to drop enough to remove the broken spring.

it is normally recommended to replace them as a pair.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 12:02   #3
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Thanks for the reply. It is interesting to read that fact.

All of the other info on the forum, Haynes and YouTube suggests that ether the ARB must be disconnected or removed and the top and bottom bolts of the hub need to be removed as well as the shock absorber bolt.

I had also read that it was possible to leave all of these connected and to unbolt and partly drop the subframe on one side.
Old 18th May 2018, 14:17   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveharvey2001 View Post
Thanks for the reply. It is interesting to read that fact.

All of the other info on the forum, Haynes and YouTube suggests that ether the ARB must be disconnected or removed and the top and bottom bolts of the hub need to be removed as well as the shock absorber bolt.

I had also read that it was possible to leave all of these connected and to unbolt and partly drop the subframe on one side.
Yes by far the easiest way of doing the job Steve

You don't need to remove the ARB to replace the rear springs

Simply slacken slightly the subframe bolts opposite side to the spring you're changing, and remove the ones on the side you're changing the spring on, along with the bottom damper mount.

Once you done that, refit the subframe bolts to that side and remove the opposite side.

Once the new springs are fitted, torque up the subframe bolts to the specified torque and job done

Beats frabbing about with drop links and rusted fasteners any day of the week.....20 minutes to do both rear springs

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 08:49   #5
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

No ifs & buts a fractured spring is now a major failure and thus a fail for MoT purposes. according to new test requirements :-https://training.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-5-Axles-Wheels-Tyres-and-Suspension.html#section_5.3
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 09:27   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

No change there then - it was a fail under the old system and quite right too.

Very easy to miss broken rear springs on our cars though.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 10:12   #7
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Just fitted a pair of rears on my 190 because the O/S had broken on the bottom.

Very straightforward job & to be honest, I'll only fit them in pairs.

It's true that the lower part of the spring is concealed but if you know these cars, you know where to look!!

In any case, a broken spring is something that should be rectified irrespective of MOT.

Last edited by mh007; 19th May 2018 at 10:17..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 12:09   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Yes it’s deffinately a fail, if the tester spots it and by now they should be well clued up on the 75’s for broken rear springs.

Several years back my diesel passed three tests with a broken rear spring.

My current project car failed among other things, a broken front spring.

When I was doing my partial restoration on the car it also had both rear springs broken unnoticed in the test, which of course have now been replaced.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 12:53   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

If broken, then have them replaced, both. I managed to do mine and after releasing the lower nuts, on advice I believe I found on this forum, placed a plank of wood on the hub and balancing on that gave enough space to pop the new springs in.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 17:19   #10
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Chaps - one of my rear springs has broken and of course I now need to replace both. I know for a fact that the pivot bolt on the lower arm on the broken side is rusted in place as I've tried to shift it in the past, and so too (annoyingly) is one of the ARB bolts - so do I take it from Brian's message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Simply slacken slightly the subframe bolts opposite side to the spring you're changing, and remove the ones on the side you're changing the spring on, along with the bottom damper mount.

Once you done that, refit the subframe bolts to that side and remove the opposite side.

Once the new springs are fitted, torque up the subframe bolts to the specified torque and job done

...that I don't need to touch that upper arm joint or the ARB? I just wondered if those instructions had been omitted!

I'd been putting the job off until I could get hold of another subframe and rebuild it with new springs and associated parts to avoid the possibility of getting my car into an undriveable state.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote