Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2018, 16:33   #1
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Default ZT rear boxes new SAIC Manufacture

At long last a decent long lasting and quiet rear box made to OE specs ?

I’m sure could be made to fit 75 by either cutting off end pipes and welding on bent pipes or fitting bumper cut out below.

In my experience the stuff from Tazo parts take about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

https://tazoparts.co.uk/collections/...mg-zt-rover-75

https://tazoparts.co.uk/collections/...d-dqq000020mmm
Heatshield link is listed for pre-facelift models.

Last edited by Lovel; 30th May 2018 at 20:28.. Reason: Clarity
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 16:41   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Back Box:https://tazoparts.co.uk/collections/...mg-zt-rover-75

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 09:16   #3
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
At long last a decent long lasting and quiet rear box made to OE specs.

I’m sure could be made to fit 75 by either cutting off end pipes and welding on bent pipes or fitting bumper cut out below.

In my experience the stuff from Tazo parts take about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

https://tazoparts.co.uk/collections/...mg-zt-rover-75

https://tazoparts.co.uk/collections/...d-dqq000020mmm
I have ordered a ZT rear exhaust from Tazo for my 75 1.8T as I'm fed up with the constant drone from the Klarius. Also ordered exhaust finisher for the facelift ZT rear bumper DQQ000140MMM from AE Wilcox for £18.50. Will update with some photos once the bits arrive and when I have tried fitting the parts.
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:28   #4
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

Hi Gary,

has this arrived yet? If so what do you think? I looked into this a few years back but no one at the time was willing to attempt to try and obtain. X part were also not interested.

I have a Klarius system on the ZT auto at the moment and whilst the noise is more comparable to OEM then a stainless the exhaust tips really bug me! I am currently trying to find some of those slip on chrome tips that will fit!

Last edited by jn12; 23rd May 2018 at 11:34..
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:33   #5
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn12 View Post
Hi Gary,

has this arrived yet? If so what do you think? I look into this a few years back but no one at the time was willing to attempt to try and obtain. X part were also not interested.

I have a Klarius system on the ZT auto at the moment and whilst the noise is more comparable able to OEM then a stainless the exhaust tips really bug me! I am currently trying to find some of those slip on chrome tips that will fit!
Have been informed by Taz that it is on way. I would expect a week or so yet?

I have klarius back box currently fitted which is boomy and annoys me greatly, and it fit is less than desireable. To get it to fit neatly I had to cut the mounting lugs by some 1" or so and then weld them up.

Last edited by Lovel; 23rd May 2018 at 11:35..
Old 30th May 2018, 20:07   #6
Lovel

Rear exhaust arrived yesterday. My initial thought was to cut the rear bumper and fit an exhaust trim same as the ZT style. The chrome tailpipes are rather large (perhaps the chrome tailpipes are the size of an ZT exhaust, I just don't know?) but may need a larger cutout on the bumper more than the existing alloy trim gives in my opinion. I noticed the Chinese cars don't have the alloy trim heat shield fitted, they just seem to have the bumper cut to allow for the larger chrome tailpipe. However with this in mind I have decided to leave the bumper alone as it is and weld on end tailpipes to try and replicate the original look of a 75 petrol model pipe which points downwards I believe?

Photos showing exhaust as received with chrome trim.

I am planning to fit downward tailpipe extensions to retain the Rover look, so as you can see I have begun to grind off the tack welds with my trusty belt grinder to the chrome extensions. Once I trial fit to the car I'll measure up for end tailpipe extensions to see what can fit in

End tailpipes something like this preferably welded on. However I think this one is too long, will see what I need once I hang the exhaust up in place, otherwise the bumper is going to get a little cooked.

Last edited by Lovel; 30th May 2018 at 20:31..
Old 30th May 2018, 22:43   #7
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default ZT rear box

Hi and thanks for excellent pictures of this item. Could you accurately measure the internal diameter of the input pipe? I can see the end is slightly widened to accept the join to the centre exhaust section. I believe original ZT exhausts were 60mm and 75's 57mm. If it's at least 60mm I may order one myself.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:30   #8
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Hi and thanks for excellent pictures of this item. Could you accurately measure the internal diameter of the input pipe? I can see the end is slightly widened to accept the join to the centre exhaust section. I believe original ZT exhausts were 60mm and 75's 57mm. If it's at least 60mm I may order one myself.
The original exhaust pipe on my 1.8T R75 is 60mm OD and 58mm ID, and it fits the new tailpipe, although I would say that my original exhaust pipe was cut perhaps a little short when fitting the klarius rear pipe, something to be aware of. I was able to join then up but I could have been done with an inch or two more on the original exhaust. The new rear pipe must be something like 62mm ID as it is quite slack on the original pipe, and needs a good yark up. Oh and the bolt in the exhaust was low tensile at 4.2 or something. I changed it to 8.8 and applied a little grease to get good squeeze on the pipe along with exhaust paste it is fine. Perhaps a U-pipe clip might be better? Actually to improve the fit and reduce the gap a bit of rolled up shim could be used to optimise the gap, but I didn't use and shim on this occasion.

Last edited by Lovel; 2nd June 2018 at 11:54..
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:46   #9
Lovel

Default Fitting Rear Pipe

Well today I tackled fitting the new pipe. Once the old one was removed you can see that the heatshield mountings were in need of sorting.
Given the new MOT guidance on loose heatshields I made sure that they could not catch me out on that.

I noted that the old exhaust mounts were well stretched compared to the genuine new one, so I obtained some from Rimmers.
Also showing handy tool for removing rubbers from mounts. A bit of silicon grease helps removal and fitting greatly.

I also bent up the mounting lugs a touch with a sturdy lump hammer, and you can see the heatshield galvanised plate repair on the left and previous repairs on the right.

New mounting bracket from Rimmer, although it says genuine it is not really but it fits exactly like the original.
It will be made to MG original drawings but manufactured in a simpler process as the genuine version is a more formed shape.
I noted that the mounting brackets on Tazo website photos look to be exactly like the originals.

Overall its a very good fit and as per OE standard fit is quiet compared to my old boomy klarius.
Does it make financial sense? probably not as there are cheaper options around, but who said owning car is all about that

I just need to decide what I am going to do with the tailpipes, in the meantime Ill have a drive to establish how hot the bumper get if at all.

Last edited by Lovel; 2nd June 2018 at 15:59..
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:22   #10
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Back box

Many thanks for the reply and further excellent pics. Sounds like the Tazo back box is intended to fit a 60mm ZT exhaust so will look into one soon,
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote