Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st July 2015, 13:15   #1
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Brake warning light...

Hello all,

I had my brake pads and disks replaced about four months ago and they have been working fantastic! (Pagid disks and pads all around, might be cheap but has already stopped us on an emergency stop at 65 MPH, with hardly any drift!).

The other day without going over a bump or pothole the brake light came on, but goes out every time we reset the car and will then take maybe half an hour of driving before it comes on. I'm wondering why is this happening, I know it come on with a break in the circuit, but for it to be intermittent like this I'm lost for an answer!

The pads last time were not to far down and were replaced as a preventive measure! the sensors worked before and didn't trip the light and thinking of this I am stumped to what is going on.

Are there any connectors where I can squirt some contact spray in, if there are...were are they?

Is this just a sensor fault, cabling fault or could it be anything else?

Thank you for your time guys, I much appropriate it and you guys as always have helped me a great deal and am humbly grateful for you advice.

My MOT come up in just over a week and know the assessors look for lights that come on and can fail it over that.

I also have the washer bottle light which also comes on intermittently, so will buy a new sensor for this, but am unsure also what sensor to buy for it?

Have a nice day people and hope everyone's enjoying the sun, where they can!

Hopefully I can get these things sorted in the next week and give my car a greater chance of getting through it's MOT!
Old 31st July 2015, 13:34   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Hi, The pad warning light will come on for a few reasons, but overall the two main ones are -
The pads are low (Not in this case)
There is a contact or break where it should'nt be.

First of all I would check to make sure the under bonnet connection plug is firmly together (O/S/F next to the blue ABS connector) Whilst doing this check to see if any of the wiring has rubbed the insulation away and causing an earthing.
If this is all ok, I would be removing the O/S/F wheel, and making sure the push-in part of the sensor is fully home inside the inner pad material backing, sometimes these can work loose. BUT .... Be careful if you remove the sensor as there is a metal clip that forms part of the set-up. It is tiny and they are very easy to lose, it is "U" shaped with a lug at the top of each leg. This may be missing and allowing the sensor to wobble about and cause the warning system to go live. The sensors are all on the O/S front and rear and attach in exactly the same fashion.
Also to test which end is playing up, you could bridge the two contacts inside the Black plug to the car to make the light go out!
I hope this helps you and if you would like one sent down, just PM me, also have the reed switch for the screenwash tank if you would like it.

Take good care, and good luck with this and please keep us up to date on your progress sorting these issues out.

Cheers JohnH.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 14:06   #3
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
Hi, The pad warning light will come on for a few reasons, but overall the two main ones are -
The pads are low (Not in this case)
There is a contact or break where it should'nt be.

First of all I would check to make sure the under bonnet connection plug is firmly together (O/S/F next to the blue ABS connector) Whilst doing this check to see if any of the wiring has rubbed the insulation away and causing an earthing.
If this is all ok, I would be removing the O/S/F wheel, and making sure the push-in part of the sensor is fully home inside the inner pad material backing, sometimes these can work loose. BUT .... Be careful if you remove the sensor as there is a metal clip that forms part of the set-up. It is tiny and they are very easy to lose, it is "U" shaped with a lug at the top of each leg. This may be missing and allowing the sensor to wobble about and cause the warning system to go live. The sensors are all on the O/S front and rear and attach in exactly the same fashion.
Also to test which end is playing up, you could bridge the two contacts inside the Black plug to the car to make the light go out!
I hope this helps you and if you would like one sent down, just PM me, also have the reed switch for the screenwash tank if you would like it.

Take good care, and good luck with this and please keep us up to date on your progress sorting these issues out.

Cheers JohnH.
Thanks John, I will give it a look in a bit, maybe tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the suggestions and will see, but will report back in abit
Old 31st July 2015, 16:28   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Not sure, but some cars have a low level warning on the brake fluid which gives the same warning light. Or handbrake switch? Worth a check?
Mike