Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2015, 16:07   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Squeaks and rattles

Hi, had the car about 6 weeks now and got most of the urgent jobs done (in tank pump, UB pump x 2 - first one failed after 500miles , new bonnet, clutch switch adjustment to get cruise working, replace missing covers/trims) and now want to sort out some noises.

There are 3.

1. drivers door rattling which I can get rid of by pressing and holding the electric window switch in the up position. When I release the "slack" must go back into the setup and the rattle comes back. is there any adjustment of the mechanism when I take the door card off?

2. rattle from 1200rpm to 2000rpm from the top of the dash passenger side. Sounds like it's from behind the airbag. Going to get the glovebox out and have a look, doesn't do it stationery so difficult to see whats causing it I bet.

3. tapping or dripping noise comes and goes. It's quiet and can only be heard with the heater fan and radio off. Sounds like it's coming from the passengers footwell area from the drivers seat.

Anyone had these and cured them?

thanks

Gordon
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 16:14   #2
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
Hi, had the car about 6 weeks now and got most of the urgent jobs done (in tank pump, UB pump x 2 - first one failed after 500miles , new bonnet, clutch switch adjustment to get cruise working, replace missing covers/trims) and now want to sort out some noises.

There are 3.

1. drivers door rattling which I can get rid of by pressing and holding the electric window switch in the up position. When I release the "slack" must go back into the setup and the rattle comes back. is there any adjustment of the mechanism when I take the door card off?

2. rattle from 1200rpm to 2000rpm from the top of the dash passenger side. Sounds like it's from behind the airbag. Going to get the glovebox out and have a look, doesn't do it stationery so difficult to see whats causing it I bet.

3. tapping or dripping noise comes and goes. It's quiet and can only be heard with the heater fan and radio off. Sounds like it's coming from the passengers footwell area from the drivers seat.

Anyone had these and cured them?

thanks

Gordon
I have number 2, despite spending hours and hours and changing engine mounts and gearbox mounts, fixing everything that could rattle behind the dash including insulating everything on the firewall/bulkhead I still have this dreaded rattle/buzzing, many on here do have this and it is so annoying its unreal. Some have cured it but many have not.

Good luck
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 16:46   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Door card rattling is a known problem - replacing all the fixing "trees" is how to cure it apparently - tho I have not yet got round to doing this. May be worth doing a search for this.

Ar regards the rattle - from my experience DO try the simple things first. I had a rattle and clonk on a previous car (Land Rover) that made me strip all sorts of things out of the dash, and under the bonnet - all to no avail.

In the end my son found the cause - it was a can of WD40 rolling round in the under seat tool compartment

So you may want to remove everything to check it is the car and not something in it (if you get my meaning)

I also find that squeaks and rattles often go away with a gentle squirt of WD40 via the red straw aiming device pointed in the direction of the rattle.

Currently I am doing this down behind my door cards and any rattles, squeaks etc disappear for a couple of months. It is shear laziness I know - I really should get on and fix it properly - but it is nice to know the issue is easily sorted.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 16:48   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I have number 2, despite spending hours and hours and changing engine mounts and gearbox mounts, fixing everything that could rattle behind the dash including insulating everything on the firewall/bulkhead I still have this dreaded rattle/buzzing, many on here do have this and it is so annoying its unreal. Some have cured it but many have not.

Good luck
That one is more than likely the black bcu mounted up high behind the airbag. Disconnect it, open up the box and stuff some foam between the pcb and the casing. Should cure it.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 17:25   #5
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
That one is more than likely the black bcu mounted up high behind the airbag. Disconnect it, open up the box and stuff some foam between the pcb and the casing. Should cure it.
I agree with that one.

Your door rattle maybe the window rattling when fully closed, try opening it an inch and see if the rattle disappears.

The third rattle/ noise is possibly the heater motor flaps, which always start making a noise on my car as Winter approaches. A quick squirt of Teflon spray into the tunnel below the dash through the forward side vents on both sides eventually quietens it down. I assume it's sticking heater flaps.
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 17:36   #6
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
In the end my son found the cause - it was a can of WD40 rolling round in the under seat tool compartment
Underseat tool compartment? Is this only on saloons? If not, please pray tell which seat has a secret hidy hole underneath?

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 17:40   #7
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post

Done that David, that was the first thing I went to as everyone said it would be that, I have had everything I can find unbolted from the bulkhead and put high density foam between anything that I found. Replaced any clips that seem damaged but still I am plagued by it.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 18:45   #8
max1
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer cdt

In an old post I read from Jules, if you get a vibration between 1500 and 1800 rpm, try pressing your hand against the head lining just above your left shoulder.

This mainly appeared on models without a sun roof.

Some thin foam or silicone between the head lining and roof panel sorts it.
max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 19:44   #9
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

My car was plagued with rattles when I first bought it. The bcu was the first one to get sorted out. The windows where a right pain to sort out ( excuse to pun ) and tried all sorts of ideas to quiet them down. In the end I found a cure for them.
I put a smear of vasiline in the top recess and in worked instantly.
The dash though had an annoying rattle and trying to track where it was coming from took weeks of messing around. It turned out to be where the dash met the windscreen. It was just loose enough to vibrate against it. I pushed a length of tv coax between it and the rattle disappeared. I'm sure foam would do a better job though if you attempt it.
As regards to the dripping noise have you checked the plenum chamber for water.( very important to keep them clear )
I hope helps
Johnny

Last edited by johnnyb44; 6th October 2015 at 19:48..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 21:10   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
Underseat tool compartment? Is this only on saloons? If not, please pray tell which seat has a secret hidy hole underneath?
The one fitted in most Land Rovers. (If you read my post again...........)
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote