Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th November 2011, 14:15   #1
Exile_Brummie
Member No. 705

MG ZT 190+ & Supercharged ZT 260 SE

Unhappy Dreaded HGF on KV6

I never thought it would happen to me!

Discovered a small coolant loss around 2 months ago, never had to top up water levels on my 190+ in all the years I've had her (6+ years), she's been good as gold. Temp gauge started showing cool at around the same time, so booked the car into Austin Garages for checkover.

Nick could find no signs of a water leak, so started to suspect you-know-what. I'd already checked oil on the dipstick, but no signs of any creaminess etc. But the filler cap showed tell-tale signs, mayonnaise inside the cap.

I was devastated! I've spent literally thousands in love and attention to this car, most recent upgrades include wide-screen Head Unit, Hi-Line instrument panel, Mk4 Sat Nav etc. Body work is showroom condition. All that was left was to upgrade the seats to power/memory and get the wheels refurbished.

Then this happens! At least she's in the right place. If anyone can sort her out, Nick can.

Gutted!
Exile_Brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:40   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile_Brummie View Post
I never thought it would happen to me!

Discovered a small coolant loss around 2 months ago, never had to top up water levels on my 190+ in all the years I've had her (6+ years), she's been good as gold. Temp gauge started showing cool at around the same time, so booked the car into Austin Garages for checkover.

Nick could find no signs of a water leak, so started to suspect you-know-what. I'd already checked oil on the dipstick, but no signs of any creaminess etc. But the filler cap showed tell-tale signs, mayonnaise inside the cap.

I was devastated! I've spent literally thousands in love and attention to this car, most recent upgrades include wide-screen Head Unit, Hi-Line instrument panel, Mk4 Sat Nav etc. Body work is showroom condition. All that was left was to upgrade the seats to power/memory and get the wheels refurbished.

Then this happens! At least she's in the right place. If anyone can sort her out, Nick can.

Gutted!
a bit of mayo on the fller cap isnt 100% proof of hgf .it is common to see it may be condensation , i see you never said one way or another if they confirmed hgf .best way is smoke test .all other way or not conclusive ...
Old 11th November 2011, 16:00   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

That is not HGF, it is a leak past the liner.
Easily cured. Search under my name, but for the 1.8 engine. Same issue.

Just to cover all bases, there can be a leak into the inlet manifold also from the inlet manifold gaskets. If these are compromised, you are likely to see water trickling down from the inside corners of the cylinder heads.

Last edited by kaiser; 11th November 2011 at 16:15..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:16   #4
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
a bit of mayo on the fller cap isnt 100% proof of hgf .it is common to see it may be condensation , i see you never said one way or another if they confirmed hgf .best way is smoke test .all other way or not conclusive ...
I totally agree with this, I had an overheating incident due to a split hose and found a little bit of mayo under the cap which worried me into thinking it was HGF. A little bit of mayo is fine, especially if it's been a short run. If the car hasn't overheated it's highly unlikely to be HGF.

If it's running cool perhaps the thermostat is stuck open?
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:23   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I also agree with Chris, get the car smoke tested, ease your mind innit.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 20:54   #6
ScottyV6
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra

My dad reckons you can't get better than Nick he looks after his 260 and I would have loved to have given it to him for my Headgasket but the quote was between £780-£1100 to get it fixed. I am now using Jason at mobilelandroverservices who I met tonight before next weeks work who is doing it for £350 all variants of k-series engine are his speciality. example today he had a job in swindon then a job in south wales and then stopped at mine in Worcester on his way home to give my car a thorough going over before he starts the work next week. on my driveway! might be worth giving a call if cost is an option otherwise you can't fault any of nick's work according to testimonials and reviews. unfortunately piece of mind is pricey. but what a car when it's 100%

that's the impression I get from Nick's work he not only does what you book it in for but goes the extra mile. He did for my Dad anyway! best of luck!
ScottyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 22:57   #7
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I feared the worst on mine, but it was not a major failure at all. Looked a lot worse than it was. PM sent.

Also agree with statements above regarding Nick and Jean. Take mine there when I can.

Last edited by Typhoon190; 12th November 2011 at 17:52..
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 16:18   #8
Exile_Brummie
Member No. 705

Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to post on this subject. It is reassuring to know that the symptoms do not necessarily means HGF, and that even if the worst is confirmed, others have come through the experience.

I also believe that the car is in the right place (Nick's), even though he's unable to carry out a proper investigation until later this month. I decided not to risk further damage by driving it home and then back to Burton (200+ mile round trip).

Bolin is right, I also have a sticking thermostat, but in one sense, that's helped keep the engine cool and minimise risk of overheating. This will be replaced when the engine is repaired (not replaced, there's confidence for you!). Will probably have cambelts replaced as well, even though they were done at 60k. Mileage is now 84k.

Thanks again for all the positive messages, they really help. I will post an update once Nick's had chance to do a proper investigation.

Tony
Old 13th November 2011, 16:40   #9
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree that a little gunge isnt always the dreaded HGF. I sell loads of Rovers and have had literally 30 or 40 heads done. I have had ones that drive A1 no overheating etc but a little gunge on the cap if used on mainly short journeys. I have used "wonderweld" on old bangers that have creamy oil etc and after flushing the system and oil it lasted years and on decent cars with little symptoms like above half a bottle in a coolant system with no anti freeze works wonders. Its not a con as £700 on a car worth £1400 can often be money badly spent. If you are a real enthusiast and want it stripped down etc go ahead but it has to be worth it as you are never going to get your hard earned money back. The thing with "Wonderweld" you have to drive the car, get it hot, let it cool, get it hot etc and the more you drive it, it will find the leaks after a 100 miles or so and seal the leak. Just make sure there isnt any anti freeze in the system as it hinders it effect. Then just flush the system but Ive found leaving it in and adding anti freeze later doesn't do any harm.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 12:46   #10
Exile_Brummie
Member No. 705

As promised, here's an update on my 190. Due to huge demand on Nick & Jean's time up at Austin Garages, everything was a few days behind schedule, and I waited with anticipation for news. I received confirmation last weekend, it was a HGF, but there is no lasting damage to anything else. The cylinder liners are perfect. Nick replaced the thermostat (which was causing the cool running), and also replaced the cambelts at the same time.

I collected the car on Thursday and she drove beautifully all the way home.

I guess I was just unfortunate to get a HGF on a KV6, but very fortunate to have Austin Garages around to sort it out for me. Top Marks to Nick & Jean, their service and attention to detail is first class!

Happy to have my beloved 190 back. The 260 can now take a rest from being a daily runabout!

TC