Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th January 2022, 14:46   #21
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Interesting about the reading of what's in the regs. I was chatting to my local MoT tester back last year and number plates came into the conversation. He told me that as long as a vehicle has a legible registration mark, even if it's written on cardboard, then they can't fail it. However, if driven on the road, then it instantly becomes illegal even though it's just passed the MoT test. If it's illegal, it should be an MoT fail and if it passes, it should be legal. Bonkers if you ask me.
Old 19th January 2022, 15:06   #22
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Interesting about the reading of what's in the regs. I was chatting to my local MoT tester back last year and number plates came into the conversation. He told me that as long as a vehicle has a legible registration mark, even if it's written on cardboard, then they can't fail it. However, if driven on the road, then it instantly becomes illegal even though it's just passed the MoT test. If it's illegal, it should be an MoT fail and if it passes, it should be legal. Bonkers if you ask me.
Well I don't know what the previous test criteria was on registration plates prior to the latest update to the test manual, however the latest requirements can be read here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...of-the-vehicle

The requirements are in line with the current legislation on number plates, and states what the tester should look out for depending on whether the plates have the BSAU 145D or BSAU 145E standard code on them. Surprisingly they are not required to check that the BSAU code and the supplier's postcode are displayed on the plates, which is required legally but not for a MOT it seems.

Relevant extracts from the test manual for this thread:

Registration plate characters:

may contain grey, possibly to achieve a 3D or highlighting effect (only on vehicles first used before 1 September 2021)
may be raised or 3D
must be the correct size, stroke width and spacing
must not be italic, sloping or formed using broken or multiple strokes
must be laid out in the correct format for the age of vehicle
must be formed using the prescribed font or be substantially similar to the prescribed font - as shown below

Registration plates fitted to vehicles first registered on or after 1 September 2021:

must be a single shade of black
may be raised, but the entire surface of the characters, including the sides, must be a single shade of black
may have an integral raised or depressed border around the number plate periphery, not more than 5mm wide and 2mm high

But reading through the full current up to date requirements, there's no way you'd get through an MOT with your Reg written on a piece of cardboard aha
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 15:11   #23
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

All I would add to this is -
For who knows how many years, the stanndard format of number plates was deemed as acceptable for the masses. The now situation lends itself to allow individualism and gross chavvyness to extremes in a wealth of areas of vehicle modifications for countless reasons. We have as a majority seen so many who focus more on themselves and how they appear when they travel or arrive, they put the fear up you when driving within speed limits with tailagting, then overtaking at the most dangerous point possible running uncalculateable risks to everybody on that stretch of road. The noise and awful attitudes they seem to enjoy so much is both far from legal or responsible behaviours.
So chavving up your car with chavvyness is a personal thing and up to the individuals, their concience and their insurance companies.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 15:56   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
ANPR cameras can read any script and patterns. This was confirmed by the inventor who gave a talk which I attended a few years ago. The police are taking us for cash cows, but I wouldn't risk it, and don't mis-space my plates.
I don’t know about cash cows, I think that the police are not doing their job with regards to number plate’s being legal or illegal, even no number plates fitted. I do not cover many miles now, but it makes my blood boil when I see vehicles with either no number plates, or what I call ‘bastardised’ registration plates. I can guarantee that everytime I go out, there are vehicles with either of the above. The child like mentality of people makes me wonder if the police are even bothered to uphold the law.
Old 19th January 2022, 16:04   #25
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Anpr has been brought in as a cost saving, less officers on the beat to do proper police work, cameras managed by public servants.

Don’t be fooled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And now are used to help locate vehicles and flag up vehicles or drivers of interest.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 16:23   #26
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Anpr has been brought in as a cost saving, less officers on the beat to do proper police work, cameras managed by public servants.

Don’t be fooled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANPR cameras did not stop 4 lads tearing through the local shopping centre on their scrambling motorbikes with no registration plates on display.

The law only seems to catch those of us who bother to register our vehicles now !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 17:30   #27
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
ANPR cameras did not stop 4 lads tearing through the local shopping centre on their scrambling motorbikes with no registration plates on display.

The law only seems to catch those of us who bother to register our vehicles now !

ANPR does have limitations at the moment.

But wait until the upgraded versions with an integral rocket launcher are deployed!
Old 19th January 2022, 19:01   #28
Bazzateer

Quote:
I don’t think the police have the authority to remove items from your vehicle. I have seen officers get the owner to remove the tinted window film when it’s been deemed too dark.

I can see many a stand off with this if they decide they want plates removing at the roadside.
I'd imagine they'd seize them as evidence of the offence. Removing the window film may have been instead of prosecution.
Old 19th January 2022, 20:59   #29
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
For sake of completeness, here is the tweet.

https://twitter.com/surreyroadcops/s...37208256348162

Note that the third tweet down states:

'For clarity, we don’t mean all 3D / 4D plates are illegal, but we are finding large numbers which are. The most common places where illegal ones are purchased from are Instagram, Facebook and tradition Markets / Car Boot sales - some will even claim to be ‘DVLA registered’ etc.'
Just to let you know, that is not the tweet I'm referencing from.

The one I saw was tweeted at 5:08 on the 11th January.

Can't work out how to link from twatter.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 21:39   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Here is the tweet you reference.

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/s...49688731947010

To me, it's still pretty clear what they are saying. Post #2 from myself applies.