Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2022, 10:40   #1
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Reluctance to start-V6

Dear All,
I really hope you are all well and that you had a good Christmas.
My V6 ZT has been behaving for the past few years. I recently had issues with a reluctance for it to start up and idle (it started spluttering into life and after a few seconds and a blip of the throttle everything is fine, it doesn't do this all the time) and on Monday after a trip back from York and a 10 min stop in Thirsk the car would not start. The rescue guy said the battery was OK and his jump started started the car and I got home. The next morning it wouldn't start and yesterday I replaced the battery. As soon as I did this it started first time and ran fine but this morning it took four/five goes for it to run and again the lumpy idle for a few seconds and then I drove to work and everything seemed fine.
I have replaced the spark plugs in the summer and replaced the viz motors with an updated pair from Stocktake as well. Is it a sensor issued or coils/ht leads etc??
Any suggestions will be gratefully received!!
Best wishes for 2022
Bob Walker
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 11:14   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I’d try the orange clip on the fuel filter Bob.
Old 5th January 2022, 11:19   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Bob, are you familiar with the Fuel Filter Syndrome? (FFS)
Your model is in the vulnerable group (post-2001), so it would be worth checking for this as the potential culprit (it's the No1 cause of non-starting in later petrol models). There's an easy fix if you need one. Follow the guides on the forum to see if the in-tank fuel filter is fitted with the 'Fabled Orange Clip' (FOC). If it hasn't already been fitted, then fit one asap. Even if that's not the cause in this instance, it will permanently eliminate the issue.

See: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=013872...t&oq=FFS+t-cut

TC
(Trikey, SNAP!)
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 11:56   #4
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Fuel Filter

Thank you Trikey and T Cut, I have already had this issue and replaced the clip. When this happened to me it wouldn't even start (the engine would turn over), it feels more like an electrical fault rather than fuel.
Bob
Old 5th January 2022, 19:05   #5
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I would try removing the cam sensor cleaner up the end where it looks at the camshaft and the connector multiplug
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 09:54   #6
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Thanks Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave. When I got in the car after work last night, it fired up first time and drove away smoothly. This morning, it was very cold in North Yorkshire, the car turned over and fired up but very reluctantly, felt like a misfire/spluttered, the revs died away but it didn't completely stop, blipped the throttle and then everything was as normal and the drive to work had no surprises. The car has done over 90k on the original coils and leads and is a 2003 model, could these be the issue?
Old 6th January 2022, 11:14   #7
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
Thanks for the advice Dave. When I got in the car after work last night, it fired up first time and drove away smoothly. This morning, it was very cold in North Yorkshire, the car turned over and fired up but very reluctantly, felt like a misfire/spluttered, the revs died away but it didn't completely stop, blipped the throttle and then everything was as normal and the drive to work had no surprises. The car has done over 90k on the original coils and leads and is a 2003 model, could these be the issue?
Very unlikely to be a coil try cam sensor or could possibly be the coolant temp sensor faulty giving the wrong signal to the ECU for a cold start shame you are a long way away or i would have gladly had a look for you

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 12:36   #8
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave
I will have to move house, thanks for the advice. I will have a look and Big Russ is going to plug his laptop in to try and find the issue.
Best wishes and thank you again,
Bob

Last edited by Bob Walker; 6th January 2022 at 12:41.. Reason: typo
Old 10th January 2022, 11:37   #9
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default E10 fuel

Hi Everyone,
Off to see BigRuss and his test book on Friday to see if any error codes pop up on his screen, I will let you know if anything appears.
It has been suggested the E10 petrol could be the cause!
PS
Running faultlessly since I first posted my 'issue' ! I will have to post everyday so the issue doesn't reappear!!
Bob : )
Old 17th January 2022, 14:51   #10
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default No error codes!

Dear All
The latest update on my KV6.
BigRuss kindly plugged in his test-book and the only fault that showed up was a frozen window for a year ago! I could have a gunged up idle valve and Ravinder has kindly put me in touch with Terry who has a few repair kits. The car generally idles correctly, but not always, and this could be the source of my issue. Having done 90,000 plus miles and being nearly 20 years old it could be the issue! I will keep you updated and since I started posting about this problem, the car has been as good as gold!! The power of communication!
Have I got the first self-healing MGRover???
best wishes to all,
Bob