Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th January 2022, 10:39   #101
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Oil, gas etc are sat in the ground or wherever. They are free at that point. It costs to get them out of wherever and transport them to me and you. I get all that. What I don't get is how it suddenly cost a vastly different amount! I even get supply and demand but not so much difference over such a small time. Somebody somewhere is profiteering.
Old 20th January 2022, 12:06   #102
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's the seller of the asset as usual. In this case, a country. Oh, and the imperative to using it's assets strategically.

Notice I did not say anything about ownership or any governmental involvement or the purposes behind such activity. However, I urge caution.

Discussion of what is a life changing condition on a hugely and entirely Social scale is occasionally not considered 'social'. If a reader/member does not enjoy/like/tolerate individual relevant participation he's best off not reading about them. Or does anything appertaining to us all suddenly become a banned subject? Or is even that gentle criticism offensive to the ear? We don't have to take sides, just behave reasonably and toleration, with practice, comes easily. Cheers and goodwill to all men.
Old 20th January 2022, 13:02   #103
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The tax thresholds would operate the same as now. Somone earning £49.9k would pay 20% tax on the whole amount. Another earning £52k would pay 20% on £50k and 50% on the £2k. The sliding scale means that someone earning £100k would take home less than £75k, but no one could take home more than £75k. I am ignoring NIC but that can be accommodated within this formula.

AVC's are not tax avoidance because they are a government scheme to encourage saving for the future. I also made good use of AVC's.

Sell their assets i.e. property if necessary, which will help recycle properties at reasonable prices because there would not be any incentive to pay high prices, the prices would be naturally regulated.

There will also be additional mechanisms to cover the irresponsible and the reckless.

The top 5% of the population are worth more than £1m in the UK ie.they either earn or have assets of more than £1m or both. Liberate their wealth and you automatically address the needs of the other 95% including the poor.

I agree about the poor needing to work, hence the policy that all living citizens who are able to work will work in order to live. It will be their duty to work.

Your counter revolutionary tendencies have been noted!
thank you for explaining a bit more on the tax issue.
I have to disagree, AVC's are tax avoidance. If memory serves me well, then if I earn £1,000 lets say I am "taxed" on £1,000. If I earn £1,000 and put a £100 into an AVC, I am taxed on £900. I know it is a government thing but I have just saved the tax on £100.

over the years since I have been married I have had 2 jobs at the same time, been down to less than £1, my wife has sat and cried not knowing how we would pay our bills, we have walked the streets posting advertising leaflets through letter boxes, my wife has been to jumble sales to buy items to sell and me to car boot sales to buy things to sell, I have worked as a dishwasher.
You now want me to sell my assets to help the poor? I'm sure you can guess what I think about that idea.
If I have to sell my assets, then what was all the effort and hardship for in the years past?

Even now, if I could find a suitable job I would go back to work but only a day or two a week. Would I be taking a job from a poor person?

MSS, if you are one of the 5%, then you sell or give away your assets.

Back to energy bills, the line at which people fell into hardship may well rise this year. I hope pay day loans and loan sharks don't have a field day. I'm sitting here typing no heating on and apparently it is about 3-4 degrees. I came in from the garage to warm up

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 13:20   #104
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
thank you for explaining a bit more on the tax issue.
I have to disagree, AVC's are tax avoidance. If memory serves me well, then if I earn £1,000 lets say I am "taxed" on £1,000. If I earn £1,000 and put a £100 into an AVC, I am taxed on £900. I know it is a government thing but I have just saved the tax on £100.

over the years since I have been married I have had 2 jobs at the same time, been down to less than £1, my wife has sat and cried not knowing how we would pay our bills, we have walked the streets posting advertising leaflets through letter boxes, my wife has been to jumble sales to buy items to sell and me to car boot sales to buy things to sell, I have worked as a dishwasher.
You now want me to sell my assets to help the poor? I'm sure you can guess what I think about that idea.
If I have to sell my assets, then what was all the effort and hardship for in the years past?

Even now, if I could find a suitable job I would go back to work but only a day or two a week. Would I be taking a job from a poor person?

MSS, if you are one of the 5%, then you sell or give away your assets.

Back to energy bills, the line at which people fell into hardship may well rise this year. I hope pay day loans and loan sharks don't have a field day. I'm sitting here typing no heating on and apparently it is about 3-4 degrees. I came in from the garage to warm up

macafee2

Ian the reason AVC's are not an individual tax avoidance scheme is that all those who pay into a pension receive the same tax advantage. An AVC is just one way of putting money into a pension pot. You pay tax when the money is paid out of your pension pot to you in the form of a pension. If you paid tax on the AVC input and then the pension, you would be paying tax twice on the same earnings.

'You now want me to sell my assets to help the poor? ' Only if you are one of the top 5% as the mechanism would only kick in at £1m in savings and assets. In which case, you should consider it a privilege!

It's cold in my house too - about 13 C at the moment.
Old 20th January 2022, 13:23   #105
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default I salute your eforts

Ian, thanks for that! i salute your efforts and hope you find something suitable. Oh, also agree with your remarks on tax structure and those who would seek advancement to their own capabilities and efforts, no matter what the expected earnings might be. There is nothing that removes the incentive to do better than to place arbitrary limits on what to expect or try for. Good luck.

Last edited by wraymond; 20th January 2022 at 13:26..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 14:42   #106
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Ian the reason AVC's are not an individual tax avoidance scheme is that all those who pay into a pension receive the same tax advantage. An AVC is just one way of putting money into a pension pot. You pay tax when the money is paid out of your pension pot to you in the form of a pension. If you paid tax on the AVC input and then the pension, you would be paying tax twice on the same earnings.

'You now want me to sell my assets to help the poor? ' Only if you are one of the top 5% as the mechanism would only kick in at £1m in savings and assets. In which case, you should consider it a privilege!

It's cold in my house too - about 13 C at the moment.
13, I'm on my way to you

I'm not sure you answered my question, what was all my hard work for in years gone by? If as you suggest I have to sell my assets to fund the poor, then that would make me a fool. The person that blew £250,000 enjoyed all that money they were given, yet you don't want me to enjoy the money I worked hard for, instead you want me to fund the person that blew £250,000. I'd be a fool to have worked hard. I sincerely hope that your suggestion never becomes law.

What about you selling your assets? You up for that?
How much money do the top 5% put into the economy via the money they spend? With the prices of London and the South homes, plus million pound lottery winners I am very surprised it is only 5% that have assets worth the magic million, the million I dreamed of when I was a teenager. That million is not the million it used to be. Is a person with a house worth a million with £10,000 cash any better off then the person with a house worth £250,000 and £50,000 in cash?
The value of a house is really nothing when you live in it, you "cannot spend its value"
I think you rate a million too much and I still don't have any heating on.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 15:46   #107
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Just come indoors as it's too cold out there now, I've just put the heating on here as it's 13.5 on the thermostat & I'm being told to put it on. Just been into our new energy company Octopus account to raise the DD payment yet again by another £40/month, I very much doubt that will suffice over the course of the Winter

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 16:35   #108
mbev51
Banned

Removed

It’s a timebomb.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 16:38   #109
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Thanks for the offer MSS, we’ll pass on it, he’s getting a new smart meter fitted shortly and he’ll just say he’ll just pay the bills, he’s turned 100 and doesn’t care.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 23:48   #110
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
............also agree with your remarks on tax structure and those who would seek advancement to their own capabilities and efforts,..........

As indeed I expect Philip and Tina Green conclude whenever the question of the BHS staff pensions comes up in conversation during sunbathing sessions on their super yacht in the Mediterranean.