Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd October 2021, 11:58   #1
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Default Reversing Sensors

My reversing sensors don’t work, so having checked out some old threads on this issue I have gone through the basics.

Is it wired up. Yes.
Is the fuse good. Yes.

I couldn’t find a sounder under the rear parcel shelf so assume that’s part of the IPK? Another thread on this subject mentioned that if your sounder is part of the IPK it is working if you can hear the binging when you leave the headlights on and open the door. Is this correct?

Not sure what to check next. Any tips would be welcome.
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 16:18   #2
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

When mine were playing up, I first checked the sensors to hear if they were clicking when powered up, and they were. then i removed the rear loom from the the sensors, having had the bumper off anyway for something else. My problem was the loom, either broken wire somewhere or the large multi plug which was quite green inside. Rather than test every wire, I just got a used loom off fleabay which solved the issue for a good while, but its started playing up again now, so will need to check it all again soon! good luck.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:22   #3
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Get a Cisbo set up off eBay, cheap but effective, much better and less hassle and easy to install.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 10:44   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Not sure but do they work through gearbox reverse switch ??----

Just checked.---They do.--

Last edited by COLVERT; 4th October 2021 at 19:12..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 10:50   #5
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
My reversing sensors don’t work, so having checked out some old threads on this issue I have gone through the basics.

Is it wired up. Yes.
Is the fuse good. Yes.

I couldn’t find a sounder under the rear parcel shelf so assume that’s part of the IPK? Another thread on this subject mentioned that if your sounder is part of the IPK it is working if you can hear the binging when you leave the headlights on and open the door. Is this correct?

My reversing sounder, lights on and electric seat bleeps are all silent.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 13:36   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post

Is it wired up. Yes.
Is the fuse good. Yes.

Would think an 04 has an IPK sounder and white parking ECU - yes your door warning chime if working shows your sounder is working. As suggested

1 - Is reverse switch working - if your reversing lights are ok then its not the switch.
2. As suggested put the car in reverse and get someone to listen to each sensor - if clicking the sensor is ok - if silent the sensor is dead.
3. If sensors are working check the connector that draws the 4 sensor looms together before linking to the parking ECU. This connector can suffer from water ingress leading to corrosion leading to no signal to the parking ECU and silence.
4 Finally the parking ECU may have packed up but i have never come across this to date.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 21:20   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Would think an 04 has an IPK sounder and white parking ECU - yes your door warning chime if working shows your sounder is working. As suggested

1 - Is reverse switch working - if your reversing lights are ok then its not the switch.
2. As suggested put the car in reverse and get someone to listen to each sensor - if clicking the sensor is ok - if silent the sensor is dead.
3. If sensors are working check the connector that draws the 4 sensor looms together before linking to the parking ECU. This connector can suffer from water ingress leading to corrosion leading to no signal to the parking ECU and silence.
4 Finally the parking ECU may have packed up but i have never come across this to date.

with point 2, who ever checks, do they need to be in the sensors line of sight or not?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 22:24   #8
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
with point 2, who ever checks, do they need to be in the sensors line of sight or not?

macafee2

The only time they would be checked would be if the park aid wasn't working, no need to check otherwise, you have your ear close to them so would be directly in their line of sight.

Not quite right, they can still click, all that tells you is that it is transmitting the ultrasonic sound, it can't determine if the receiving side of things is OK.
Old 6th October 2021, 16:58   #9
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
The only time they would be checked would be if the park aid wasn't working, no need to check otherwise, you have your ear close to them so would be directly in their line of sight.

Not quite right, they can still click, all that tells you is that it is transmitting the ultrasonic sound, it can't determine if the receiving side of things is OK.
But if the sensor is silent it has failed - which is a starting point - as you say the sensors can be still working but no bleeps - hence my suggestion to check the the loom connector/plug between the sensor loom and the ECU for corrosion which does happen or possibly the parking ECU has failed

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 17:59   #10
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post

Thanks, that’s correct it is a white ecu box, I will get someone to help me test the sensors and connectors themselves at the weekend.
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote