Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th September 2021, 13:23   #1
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Fuel shortage, What fuel shortage??

Petrol tanker drivers have an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.
So what's changed? Nothing !!
Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.
The Result of the media scaremongering!!
Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.
And to top it the government have 1000’s of trained military personnel who are available if there was a real fuel crisis. Ruddy Media!! Ruddy sheep, Ruddy selfish mentality.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 13:59   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Petrol tanker drivers have an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.
So what's changed? Nothing !!
Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.
The Result of the media scaremongering!!
Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.
And to top it the government have 1000’s of trained military personnel who are available if there was a real fuel crisis. Ruddy Media!! Ruddy sheep, Ruddy selfish mentality.
As we see it, there may or may not be a shortage of fuel. What does that actually mean in the real world?

1. What the media say
2. What people say on the social media.
3. What people say when attempting to fill-up their vehicles.
4. What the average individual believes.

Take your pick.

Then we have to consider what kind of fuel is affected, petrol/diesel etc.

Then is it a question of availability due to reasons to do with delivery to selling stations or distribution problems from the distilleries.

In our experience many of the local sellers have run out, because they sold out, and because there have been NO DELIVERIES to them, reason not given when asked.

So there seems to be a combination of all factors, shortage of suitably qualified drivers, and panic buying, and attention grubbing media, fuelled (ha ha!) by morons on social media spreading false info.

Has Brexit been a contributing factor? who knows. As usual the government sit on the fence blaming everybody else and takes no responsibility, why should anyone expect anything different, its now policy with these lot, the poor public go along like lemmings over the cliff.

We should all calm down buy sensibly and all will become evident soon enough, one way or the other.

Then
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 14:18   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what did the media say?
Do many people refer to tanker drivers as anything other then HGV or arctic drivers?
If the media said there was a shortage of drivers and a few stations closed, if that is true then all they did were report the facts, we did the rest.
I understand that there may be times when reporting the news causes panic and the question needs to be asked, should it be reported but then should we the public, be kept in the dark?

Anyone going to admit to panic buying of fuel?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 14:23   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

Anyone going to admit to panic buying of fuel?

macafee2

My Omega is still sitting here nearly empty and will do so until the queues die down. The other cars are all between 1/4 and half full. This will last us about 3 weeks.

I did go out and buy 4L of unleaded for the chainsaw and brushcutter two days ago, but half of that is already used up.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 14:28   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The one thing that did strike me was how welcome the European drivers are being made to feel to come over. The ministaer's statement more or less said come over and help us but then we want you to p*** off before Christmas. We are not sharing our turkey and sprouts with you lot!

How nice!

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 15:06   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
We are not sharing our turkey and sprouts with you lot!

How nice!

What turkey Most producers had reduced the numbers due to the lack of and uncertainty about foreign workers. The government announced on Saturday that it will allow visas for foreign workers in the poultry industry but its too late. Christmas dinner is liable to be a cheese sarnie.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 15:08   #7
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The one thing that did strike me was how welcome the European drivers are being made to feel to come over. The ministaer's statement more or less said come over and help us but then we want you to p*** off before Christmas. We are not sharing our turkey and sprouts with you lot!

How nice!

Exactly, are we hypocrites?, would I go over to France to pick e.g. grapes when I am treated in an unwelcoming manner, no certainly not. in any case it is not the British way, so why on earth do we put up with it.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 15:19   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Exactly, are we hypocrites?, would I go over to France to pick e.g. grapes when I am treated in an unwelcoming manner, no certainly not. in any case it is not the British way, so why on earth do we put up with it.
I say this tongue in cheek, we don't want them over here talking our jobs.

Before anyone lays into me, just take a peek at this post
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=315517&page=2

macafee2
Old 27th September 2021, 15:22   #9
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Without wanting to get into politics, of which I certainly have my views (held privately) may I put the following into the melting pot. Incidentally a TV interviewee this morning confirmed, and added more detail to my point.

Put simply, the current shortage will not, indeed almost cannot, last for more than a few weeks (if that) and is best considered as a fuel storage issue.

The storage capacity of vehicle based storage tanks is a constant; being the number of cars on the road, times the average fuel tank capacity.

This EXCEEDS the storage depot capacity, in litres / gallons. By either 2, or 3 to 1; not completely sure what I heard this morning.

Over the last few days, the country's (distribution depot) fuel capacity is being transferred to vehicle fuel tanks.

HOWEVER, the rate of usage, will be largely as per pre panic.

As we can all work out, the problem is not a fuel shortage, per se; it’s an inability to transport fuel from the central depots, to the forecourts, at this increased level / demand.

Once all of the on road vehicles have a full tank, the problem will have to abate, and the tanker drivers can take a short (well earned) break.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.

Last edited by BRG75; 27th September 2021 at 19:13..
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 16:05   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post
Without wanting to get into politics, of which I certainly have my views (held privately) may I put the following into the melting pot. Incidentally a TV interviewee this morning confirmed, and added more detail to my point.

Put simply, the current shortage will not, indeed almost cannot, last for more than a few weeks (if that) and is best considered as a fuel storage issue.

The storage capacity of vehicle based storage tanks is a constant; being the number of cars on the road, times the average fuel tank capacity.

This EXCEEDS the storage depot capacity, in litres / gallons. By either 2, or 3 to 1; not completely sure what I heard this morning.

Over the last few days, the countries (distribution depot) fuel capacity is being transferred to vehicle fuel tanks.

HOWEVER, the rate of usage, will be largely as per pre panic.

As we can all work out, the problem is not a fuel shortage, per se; it’s an inability to transport fuel from the central depots, to the forecourts, at this increased level / demand.

Once all of the on road vehicles have a full tank, the problem will have to abate, and the tanker drivers can take a short (well earned) break.

Regards

Mike

Mike, by the time the last vehicle fills up the first vehicle to have to filled up will probably need to fill up again. As there was a shortage every day after the first vehicle filled up, they will panic buy again.

Either we come to our senses and stop panic buying or supply keeps up or outstrips demand.

macafee2