Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2020, 15:58   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Red face Hi-line issue?

Hi folks,

My 2004 Connie SE has the Hi-line sat nav and screen setup.

Only recently bought the car so please bare with me.

It has the MK3 GPS unit in the boot and it came with a 2003 cd. The cd was badly scratched and the GPS unit kept ejecting the cd. Made a backup for testing purposes and found that sometimes it will read and others it won't.

When it does read the cd I'm able to select the GPS option on the screen, clicking this it appears to always select Andorra as the default country. Selecting United Kingdom and then city it appears to freeze and lockup.

The other day I also got in the car to use the car for work and the trip computer and TV option and GPS option were all greyed out (although the trip computer on the i.pk worked fine).

I've had the GPS unit out of the car and taken the top cover off and everything appears fine and clean and the connections were correctly secured with the tabs pushed down fully, clicking into place.

The red led on the front of the unit remains lit too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 20:29   #2
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Hi Rob,
If the red light on the CD drive in the boot is constantly illuminated, this suggests that there is a fault with the unit.
With the ignition off, open the boot and then leave it open, watch the drive light to see if it goes out, from memory, the light should flash and eventually go off, this can take several minutes so be patient and don't open or close any of the doors or boot.
If, after several minutes the light remains lit, it suggests there is a fault with the drive. Eventually the car battery will be discharged due to the drive constantly drawing power, even with the ignition off.
Issues with reading CD's can point to the laser unit in the drive becoming 'tired', though this is more of an issue with the later, Mk IV DVD unit, or it could be a badly marked CD.
The GPS system freezing, being slow to read the CD, rebooting and losing the default settings (i.e. resetting itself) again points to a faulty CD drive / computer.
The easiest way to diagnose the faulty drive it to swap it for known working unit and see if the system works as it should.
Regards,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 21:10   #3
biffa75
Trader

Thanks for the great response, I know the light remains on solid, but will check how long for tomorrow. One minute it will read and then freezes and can only be used if you turn off the ignition. Turning the ignition back on the screen displays a different menu lay out without the GPS option even visible. (This menu looks like an older version of the menu) if that makes sense.

Wonder if I'd be able to get a good working drive, as I take it the MK3 drive is quite old now.

Thanks
Rob
Old 13th October 2020, 21:28   #4
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Thanks for the great response, I know the light remains on solid, but will check how long for tomorrow. One minute it will read and then freezes and can only be used if you turn off the ignition. Turning the ignition back on the screen displays a different menu lay out without the GPS option even visible. (This menu looks like an older version of the menu) if that makes sense.

Wonder if I'd be able to get a good working drive, as I take it the MK3 drive is quite old now.

Thanks
Rob
If the display changes on the bord monitor (the dash display) to a low resolution type display, which from memory is sort of blue and grey colour, that could be an issue with the video module in the wheel well, the satnav has a 'fall back' display should the primary video output fail, usually as a result of water ingress into the video module, another question is, does the radio still work i.e. do you still get audio, whether CD, radio or satnav voice direction? if the answer is no, this again points to water damage to the radio module, which is also in the spare wheel well.

If you want to borrow a good drive, I have a couple here, I could post you one over to try, at least that'll give you the opportunity to eliminate a faulty CD / satnav computer, but I'd also have a look at the two modules in the spare wheel well to check for any signs they've been for a swim in the past,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 14th October 2020, 11:23   #5
biffa75
Trader

Thanks for this very useful information.
Thankfully the radio does work (although only gets two or three stations).

There was a little bit water in the boot when I bought it and has now been resolved ( rear light gasket had split)

The water in the boot only an inch deep if that, I've taken the cover out of the way and seen both of the boxes and appeared okay. Nothing to suggest they had been submerged in water at any point. There was two boxes on left (TV module?) And one on the right (radio?)

If I could try one your spare drives, that would be great, I have checked on eBay however there doesn't appear to be any MK3 type drives ( will other GPS drives work if the connections are the same?)

Having just checked the drive in the boot, I noted after just a few minutes the red led went out (no cd inserted).

With cd inserted, again the red led goes out after just a few minutes. Sometimes will go past the message "no cd inserted" and go to the city etc.

The cd multi hanger works, radio works so.. a dead GPS drive?

Thanks
Rob
Old 14th October 2020, 12:15   #6
biffa75
Trader

Thanks for this very useful information.
Thankfully the radio does work (although only gets two or three stations).

There was a little bit water in the boot when I bought it and has now been resolved ( rear light gasket had split)

The water in the boot only an inch deep if that, I've taken the cover out of the way and seen both of the boxes and appeared okay. Nothing to suggest they had been submerged in water at any point. There was two boxes on left (TV module?) And one on the right (radio?)

If I could try one your spare drives, that would be great, I have checked on eBay however there doesn't appear to be any MK3 type drives ( will other GPS drives work if the connections are the same?)

Having just checked the drive in the boot, I noted after just a few minutes the red led went out (no cd inserted).

With cd inserted, again the red led goes out after just a few minutes. Sometimes will go past the message "no cd inserted" and go to the city etc.

The cd multi hanger works, radio works so.. a dead GPS drive?

Thanks
Rob
Old 14th October 2020, 15:17   #7
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Hi Rob,
I can send you over a known working drive no problems, with a good map CD, so at least you'll be able to eliminate any issues with your current drive / disc set-up.
I'd still be tempted to remove the radio and video modules just to check internally for any signs of previous water ingress, 1" of water is a lot of liquid to be sloshing around when the car is in motion, or going up and down inclines.
A Mk IV DVD drive is a direct 'plug 'n' play' solution, however, given their ages it's likely that the DVD laser will require replacing, but the CD laser will still probably be OK, so it is possible to use a CD based map disc in a MkIV DVD drive unit, as it uses a different laser to read the disc,

Steve

Old 14th October 2020, 21:57   #8
biffa75
Trader

Thanks Steve, it is useful to know that MK4 DVD drives plug and play, even just for future reference as I intend to hold on to the car for as long as I possibly can.

On my days off if I get Chance I will remove both the radio and TV modules and open the units up. If they have had water ingress, is there anything I can do with them? Clean up the boards or contacts with electrical cleaner if needed?

Would you like me to pay for the GPS cd drive posting? If you find out how much the postage is I can send payment via PayPal if that's okay?

Hopefully then, everything will work and then I can't return the cd drive and map cd and source a good unit. Least I know everything else is okay ( touch wood!)

Thanks
Rob
Old 15th October 2020, 09:00   #9
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Hi Rob,
If you send me your address in a private message I'll get it posted to you as soon as I can, no need to bother about the postage, I'll pay to send it to you, you pay to return it to me once you've tried it to make sure the rest of your set-up works OK - you can keep the 2015 map CD (the last date produced) for use in your drive unit, in fact, try the CD first in your unit, it may be that the CD you have is too badly damaged to be read properly.

I've had some success drying the modules out, provided they've not been immersed for too long by putting them somewhere warm to dry them out then giving them a good clean with switch cleaner to remove any residue from the flooding that's left on the board, unfortunately some units are beyond saving as the damage is too severe.

If the modules are damaged, BMW units are available on Ebay, the radio module is a BM24, which is a better unit that the Rover unit (it has twin tuners which means the TMC system works without having to be tuned into Classic FM all the time), if you go down the BM24 route, you need the 'round pin' module, so it will match the power and data plug on the Rover wiring loom.

You can also swap the original bord monitor with the 4:3 aspect ratio screen for a BMW 16:9 aspect screen, but then you'd need the corresponding BMW video module to drive the 16:9 screen, again, all these units are 'plug 'n' play'.

Steve

Old 15th October 2020, 15:47   #10
biffa75
Trader

I'll send my address details via pm then.

I'll give the cd you send a try that first (fingers crossed it will work okay) the cd I have tried it with, was a "backup" of the original cd that was badly scratched so.. even though the backup is fine, the info could be missing.

Failing that, I'll just swap the drive over and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info too on the video and radio modules. As soon as I get Chance I will give them both a bit of tlc.

Thanks
Rob