Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd June 2018, 02:00   #11
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Hard shoulder was in use apparently:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...y-12635148.amp

West Midlands Police said in a statement: "At the time, the lane was a running lane as part of the smart motorway scheme.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 06:36   #12
Stu67
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

One word “dangerous” it causes untold chaos and far longer tailbacks. I live just north of the M25 and use it frequently there is always a problem with breakdowns etc. I wonder at what point a criminal charge for corporate man slaughter could be brought should deaths occur when there is no “safe haven”.

Let’s not forget this was only brought in to help general traffic flow and to save the cost of building additional lanes and as an experiment I think it leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway shouldn’t be a problem with autonomous vehicles I suppose.
Stu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:55   #13
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Sorry for the family and their loss, I know that strecth well was down there a couple of weeks ago, it's like all our roads they are being turned in to race tracks by impatient and ignorant drivers. There have been plenty of deaths on normal not live hard shoulders it's a pitty people have to die in this country before anything is done.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:19   #14
Borg Warner

None

It appears someone has asked a question with regards to the accident rate on such motorways:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tion-of-the-m3
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:08   #15
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

There can be no such thing as a "Smart" motorway, since motorways are inanimate objects. Sadly they still rely on humans watching the cameras so the inside lane can become a no go area in the case of a breakdown. As said, a cheap and dangerous way of increasing road capacity. Avoid at all costs!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:48   #16
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Is it safe to assume that the gantry speed limit warnings were in operation?

There have been many accidents where lorry drivers for a variety of reasons were not concentrating sufficiently on the road or where excessive speeds have been a factor - cutting down the stopping distance in critical cases.
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:57   #17
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
There can be no such thing as a "Smart" motorway, since motorways are inanimate objects. Sadly they still rely on humans watching the cameras so the inside lane can become a no go area in the case of a breakdown. As said, a cheap and dangerous way of increasing road capacity. Avoid at all costs!

Why avoid them? Plenty of dual carriageway A roads with no hard shoulder were the the speed limit is the same with little or no cameras or variable speed limits.
Old 3rd June 2018, 14:40   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Why avoid them? Plenty of dual carriageway A roads with no hard shoulder were the the speed limit is the same with little or no cameras or variable speed limits.

My view exactly. I've just driven 490 miles to Liverpool and back to Ipswich over the weekend. There's no real difference in speed or a vehicle's ability to stop in a live lane in order to avoid an obstruction between the smart sections of the M6 and the A14. Ditto the smart sections of the M25 and the A11 or A12
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:02   #19
kev-rev180
Avid contributor

mg ztt 190+

my job is to deliver cars van and trucks my day is mainly spent on moterways the biggest problem is the lainers who will sit in the middle lane or any of the other 2 it dose not matter what they are driving its what helps make are moterways a mess you then get the smart moterways that tell us there is congestion when you can see there is not i have had were they have the speed set at 30 with only me and another vehical on the road i have also had it when you get a laner stuck in the middle lane trucks cant use lane 3 so you have no choice to go on the insid truck driver are limitted on there hrs they can drive so sometimes they do do daft things if we run out of time you are stuck and that could mean from friday till monday and if you want to get home to see your familie our roads and the fact alot of drivers dont know or dont want to, dont help. have now had my winge
kev-rev180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:00   #20
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Apparently, the gantry signs were already on 60, but it happened so quick before there was time to react, the first HGV swerving around the car and the second, unsighted, took the car out.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote