Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2022, 18:04   #11
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Did anyone find a fix for this or know what causes it please? Mine has started doing it today with text over to the right and distorted looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Mine is the same, I've got a new screen on order from you as it needs replacing as it's full of lines and missing pixels.
When I switch the car on the display is usually centred, but within a few minutes it has shifted to the right, I assumed (as in a guess based on little or no evidence) this was a fault of the actual screen and associated wiring ribbon,

Steve
It's a very strange problem and I've never been able to 100% identify what causes it.

Initially I believed it to be a problem with the instrument cluster, and that replacing it would resolve it which has worked in the past as I supplied a replacement cluster for a 75/ZT that had this issue and the problem was resolved.

However, last year I installed a new screen on a cluster that had this problem and the problem remained. So I tried another highline cluster off the shelf and the problem still persisted, which ruled out it being an issue with the cluster.I found if I kept the revs at around 2k minimum the screen would stay fine, but once the revs were back at idle the screen would soon return to being skewed to one side. The car had not been used much prior to the booking appointment, so believed the issue may have been voltage related, either the battery not having enough charge or needing replacing. After a good run to charge the battery and regular use of the car the issue went away.

It's a strange one I don't have a 100% solution for unfortunately.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 18:26   #12
rover2300

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
It's a very strange problem and I've never been able to 100% identify what causes it.

Initially I believed it to be a problem with the instrument cluster, and that replacing it would resolve it which has worked in the past as I supplied a replacement cluster for a 75/ZT that had this issue and the problem was resolved.

However, last year I installed a new screen on a cluster that had this problem and the problem remained. So I tried another highline cluster off the shelf and the problem still persisted, which ruled out it being an issue with the cluster.I found if I kept the revs at around 2k minimum the screen would stay fine, but once the revs were back at idle the screen would soon return to being skewed to one side. The car had not been used much prior to the booking appointment, so believed the issue may have been voltage related, either the battery not having enough charge or needing replacing. After a good run to charge the battery and regular use of the car the issue went away.

It's a strange one I don't have a 100% solution for unfortunately.

I had the same issue after you changed my IPK, it has got better but still not completely eliminated, it still skews randomly on start up or when driving along it will suddenly skew, I have had a new battery fitted as the old one died, so perhaps not a battery issue?
On my other car had a strange incident with the IPK after car came back from having a new thermostat fitted, the screen was upside down.Unfortunately I didn't take a pic and it hasn't done it again, will take a pic if it does it again.
rover2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 20:34   #13
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
Alternator playing up?

The car is being driven on a daily basis or occasionally? If you drive it daily and the battery is good and the alternator is OK than I fear your only option is to consult an expert. A bit out of my league
Definitely just occasionally but is hooked up to a battery tender when parked up. Could be alternator, certainly worth taking a closer look that’s for sure. Certain this misfire/blip is the issue but is it caused by a dodgy alternator or spark plugs/coils etc.
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2022, 21:15   #14
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Well after further running around, my issue looks almost certainly to be down to the misfire. It ties in as other have noted, this occasional misfire occurs semi regular at idle sometimes more noticeable than others but this is when the IPK glitches. If driving normally and I get a single misfire it’s stays ok, so revs/engine load come into play as someone said earlier.
Once I get the misfire sorted out, likely a coil or plugs but leaning more to a coil just now I reckon that will sort it. Again I will update once I get time to do so.
Plan getting the updated IPK, in matching amber from Rick some point soon anyways (not to try and solve this issue).
Old 13th March 2022, 17:31   #15
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

For me it’s looking like replacing the coils packs has stopped this. Had a misfire as said which was getting worse so got a full set of 6 from dmgrs and fitted them today, IPK even has less lines on it which is probably just coincidence
Old 13th March 2022, 17:55   #16
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
For me it’s looking like replacing the coils packs has stopped this. Had a misfire as said which was getting worse so got a full set of 6 from dmgrs and fitted them today, IPK even has less lines on it which is probably just coincidence
That will be ambient temperature - more lines if very warm or very cold -

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2022, 22:05   #17
Bazzateer

Is there some sort of battery or capacitor in the IPK circuitry which needs to be charged ?
Old 14th March 2022, 16:48   #18
MidlandRoyal

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 Instrument Panel LCD Screen

I have a Rover 75 1,8se Connoisseur Turbo Automatic but the problem I have is that the screen is losing pixels, making it difficult to read,
Is there a fix, do I need a replacement screen, can I even get one and if so are they easy to fit?
Regards
Rodney
MidlandRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 18:21   #19
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlandRoyal View Post
I have a Rover 75 1,8se Connoisseur Turbo Automatic but the problem I have is that the screen is losing pixels, making it difficult to read,
Is there a fix, do I need a replacement screen, can I even get one and if so are they easy to fit?
Regards
Rodney
Have a word with Rick https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=260807
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 18:32   #20
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Got an update on the display being out of alignment, this has been the case since I bought the car 12 months ago, a replacement IPK screen was fitted by Rick but the fault persisted, the display was fine when initially starting the car, but became corrupted after driving several miles, usually after stopping at a junction with engine dropping to idling speed, I had long suspected that a very slight, intermittent misfire at idle (so slight no fault code logged) was the root cause of the display being corrupted.
Car went into the garage for a service this week and I supplied new coil packs (from DMGRS) to be fitted along with new plugs, when I picked the car up, engine idling was noticeably improved and guess what, no more corrupted IPK display, car has been in use since Monday afternoon with no sign of the display being corrupted.
So it would appear that there could be a link between corrupted display and an ignition system fault!

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote