Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th March 2017, 07:35   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default Erisin 2 din radio

Just though I'd pass my experience on fitting a Erisin 2 din radio to my Mgzt as there seems there is a lot of varied feedback online ranging from good to bad ,mostly issues that relate to getting any satisfaction from sellers if there is an issue but also a few regarding radio reception being poor etc.

First of all, its cheap, has a heap of functions , pretty darn good for the bucks.
Has provisions to connect to the net via a dongle,comes with free Igo map SD card cables etc.
Didn't get the Digital TV box but was refreshing to see that the TV does actually work on the dedicated TV screen rather than having to use the AUX function on the other units I have got.
Not tried the mini usb jack at the front to see if this unit charges my iphone out of it (unlike other ones ive had)
Bluetooth works great and has phone book download capacity.
IGO sat nav works great as well.

Not so good - the aerial fitting on the rear of the unit is somthing call a Fakara plug ??!! and not like a normal aerial fitting and is not supplied.
Only supplied with one block wiring loom connector - old type BMW round pin which didnt fit my car.

INSTALLING
The one I bought had the normal mounting metal plate for fixing the 2 screws into the console but also had a couple of plastic tabs that were sticking out a little.
These appear to be for fitting it to another brand of vehicle as well I think.
You need to cut these plastic tabs off back to the side edge of the unit.
I carefully used a small angle grinder with a super thin blade,worked a treat but as the side of the unit is inside the console, close enough should be ok.
WIRING
Not much instruction in the booklet that came with the unit,just a wiring layout on the top of the unit showing what all the plug pins relate to.
All I got with my unit was the unit block connector from the unit to the old BMW type block plug (round pins),a GPS aerial,a couple of smaller plugs with RCA connectors on the end,a small microphone.
I cut off the main BMW round pin block end of the cable as my car has the later 40 pin iso plugs and wired 2 female ISO block connectors ( brown and grey) to the appropriate pins so the factory ISO plugs would plug straight in.
On the top of the unit the schematic there has a list called "40 P Original" with a list of 18 pins and what each does.
The first 8 relate to speakers (+ and - ) and connect directly into the 8 pin brown female ISO plug.
If you buy a brown female ISO plug the wire colours on the plug will match exactly to the wire colours on the units factory block.,just join them together and insulate or solder etc
Ok, next need to wire the remaining 5 wires to the grey female ISO plug.
This block is for power,illumination,earth etc.
As I recollect, there should be a red,yellow,black ,green and orange left.
On this unit it appears you need to swap the yellow (normally battery 12 volt) and the red (normally for the ignition switched 12 volts) when wiring up the grey female iso plug to match up to the factory iso plug.(so from the unit -red to yellow on the ISO plug and yellow to red on the ISO plug.
Black is earth and as I recollect that matches a corresponding earth with in the GREY factory ISO plug which lines up.
Orange -illumination, matches to the orange on the iso plug.
This now leaves you with a blue (antena / amp control) and a green wire (can)
The green wire appears not to be required to be connected to anything ? however, the blue wire (anntena ) NEEDS to be connected to pin 5 on the grey ISO plug (should line up with a factory wire coloured purple / yellow)
This gives your powered anntena power to amplify your radio signal.
I made the mistake of not wiring this and had crappy radio ,it was searching for signals etc all the time and thought I had a faulty unit until I connected it up and it was perfect.
I suspect alot of complaints re radio signals on these units are from not connecting this blue wire up as alot of the other 2 dins leave this wire unconnected.

Next plug in the small 8 pin plug with cables into the back of the unit which has the 2 X brown wires listed SWC (STEERING CONTROL)
Find the 2 x wires going to the factory steering unit (purple and ?? ) cut and connect each these directly to the 2 x brown steering wires on the unit.
You will need to go to settings in the unit to program the unit to respond to the button controls to work.
Also on the small cable there is also another blue wire (antenna) and orange (illumination) connect these to the same functions on the main block (blue to blue and orange to orange)
If you want to connect cameras etc there is RCA plug points there as well.

Switch the sucker on and enjoy !!!

forgot, also is able to change the units display lighting to any of 4 colours- great for the ZT as its blue !!!

Last edited by genpk; 6th March 2017 at 07:45..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 08:16   #2
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Did you get this one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-Android...wAAOSwt5hYcEbL

That is a good price, I bought one late last year for around $400.

I didn't bother with the steering wheel controls but will give it a try now.

Cheers for the info with the radio reception, the seller told me to buy a FAKRA adapter- I'll try your suggestion first.

To hook it up, I bought an ISO connector- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/192003261...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
ozrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 09:05   #3
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

think the model was 7162 AUL .
Similar screen layout but has buttons on the each side.
Also see your model has the same plastic bits you need to prune off the sides.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:11   #4
allanv2

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default in car entertainment

Hi good info thanks, will a 2 din unit fit into my rover 75?
allanv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 09:28   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

It fits no problem (after you trim the plastic lugs off the sides)
Also the GPS aerial only has sticky stuff on the base,not magnetic base like other units.
As with my other units,I placed it on the top of the metal pipe under the dash, cable tied it down.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:51   #6
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

My CDTI has had a universal Erising DD in since 2010, bit of grief to start with its GPS failing , but since then all Good!!

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 11:55   #7
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

it will be interesting to see how reliable these units are as ive got 2 of the older original 2 din type units and they are still going well without issue after 4 years.
I got to say, the Erisin unit is cheap but im really surprised at the amount of functions built into the unit that some of the more expensive units dont have (3 g network etc) so time will tell.

Extra info- curious little quirk, the unit allows you to select your boot screen logo (there is a couple of MG ones there) go to settings / boot logo ,password 123456,select logo / update
but when you do change it you radio reverts back to AM on startup.
Found if you do change the logo, do the update,go back to the title "sound" there's a small yes / no box (think it's a reset for sound settings)bottom right ,when it asks for update press yes and it resets with the new logo and the last radio station you had on and remains that way on startup.
Only one issue is I can't seem to get the volume to come back on at the level it was when switching the radio off,comes back on 5 when it was at 3???
edit- just checked the mini usb plug on the front of the unit and IT DOES charge Iphones !!!

Last edited by genpk; 7th March 2017 at 09:48..
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:07   #8
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Sorted out fbe radio memory settings,had tbe ignition wire and the bsttery wire reversed, Great unit for thr money
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:42   #9
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Can you post a linky for the one you got
Thanks
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:46   #10
Tiff
Regular poster

75 saloon

When I fitted mine it had the BMW plug, but the car had the double DIN connectors. I followed the car loom down behind the ashtray and the BMW plug was there- plugged straight in to the unit. Saved a load of cutting and joining.
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote