Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th May 2011, 21:29   #21
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Hi Chris,

My worry over copper is that it would be too soft, although not an expert on metals, I wasn't sure if copper would react with anything.

Just in the stage of testing the components in a running system, bringing the car upto temperature and checking coolant levels before and after to see if there is any problems (also naturally checking under the car)

Due to the vital nature of this part in the running of the engine, I believe stainless is the best way to ensure engine longevity.

Best,

J
You are perfectly correct about longevity - 316 stainless steel is marine grade and will resist all manner of nasty things.

One thing to bear in mind though. Stainless is not so good at heat dissipation - copper is much much better - so it's probably an idea to try your set out before ordering more. The pipes will probably get hotter than the originals, so make sure they are clear of anything that may suffer.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:03   #22
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
You are perfectly correct about longevity - 316 stainless steel is marine grade and will resist all manner of nasty things.

One thing to bear in mind though. Stainless is not so good at heat dissipation - copper is much much better - so it's probably an idea to try your set out before ordering more. The pipes will probably get hotter than the originals, so make sure they are clear of anything that may suffer.
Thanks for the pointer Jeremy - as you say it will hopefully be tough enough. We want to get the car up and running and on the road by the end of the month, but to ensure the parts are doing their job - we're running the car every evening on the airfield to make sure all is tickety boo!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 22:10   #23
Exile_Brummie
Member No. 705

MG ZT 190+ & Supercharged ZT 260 SE

Please count me in. Need a set for my 190 quite soon please.

Cheers, Tony Cotter
Exile_Brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 21:17   #24
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

My uncle did offer to make some of these up for other members after making a set for my car (which are still going strong a year later - see post 21 for pics http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=54316) but we needed an old set as he had thrown away the measurements. Unfortunately nothing progressed from there.

He would probably still be up for helping a few members out if we could get the measurements. Think he was looking at around £30 plus p&p.

I could look at picking this up again if anyone is still interested!
rgtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 12:14   #25
ashb
Avid contributor

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtly View Post
My uncle did offer to make some of these up for other members after making a set for my car (which are still going strong a year later - see post 21 for pics http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=54316) but we needed an old set as he had thrown away the measurements. Unfortunately nothing progressed from there.

He would probably still be up for helping a few members out if we could get the measurements. Think he was looking at around £30 plus p&p.

I could look at picking this up again if anyone is still interested!
At that sort of price i'd be very interested, but i can't help with an old set i'm afraid.
ashb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 12:55   #26
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

In terms of materials of construction, I see no reason why copper pipework would be unsuitable. It will be more prone to external corrosion from road salt, etc than stainless steel. but internally there should be no issues. It's essential that the OAT coolant is at the specified concentration and serviced every four/five years. A heat resist paint could be used to protect it. Whatever metal is used, they will all run at the same temperature as the coolant. Heat loss through the pipes will be insignificant so there will be no difference in running temperature.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 21:03   #27
Crezzer
Regular poster

Jaguar STR

Yeah copper would be fine, currently about £6 for a 3 metre length so a lot cheaper to...
Crezzer is offline   Reply With Quote