Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd November 2021, 21:32   #21
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
The last bus company that I worked for in the appropriate capacity self insured up to £500,000. Very costly when a driver decided to drive a brand new Scania Omnicity down a bank, through several gardens and into a house. Bus was a write off and house moved partially of its foundations.
Old 17th January 2022, 08:55   #22
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Good morning All,

my saga is nearly at an end, but not without further twists & turns. The bodyshop finished the panels Dec 23rd, however, I was unable to collect as I was at work. I then had to wait until Jan 4th for them to reopen to collect the parts. All back together by the evening of the 5th only to find I needed a new battery.... then to find my MOT had run out too
Before I could have the MOT I needed to have the exhaust replaced as the welds to the hangers on the back box were broken & leaking. I did have this booked back in November, unfortunately due to the accident I wasn't able to attend.
So, on Friday 14th I visited Powerflow @ Risby & had a S/S backbox, plus a new flexi joint as mine was disintegrating, made up & fitted. Followed by an MOT at my local ATS, which it promptly failed as both front springs have snapped. What is really frustrating is that these springs were only fitted about 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm now back at work for the week so I am unlikely to be able to get the springs replaced until next week, unless I am able to book a days holiday anyway.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement, but at least there is now an end in sight. I do hate not having a car & having to ask for lifts to work. Oh, well. Worse things happen at sea...

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 09:33   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Thanks for the update, long time with no car. What happened with insurance, did they write it off?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 10:23   #24
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Yes it is a Category N write off. The payout I wasn't enough to cover all the work sadly, not helped that I decided to do additional work while I had the chance.
The passengers front wing was unaffected by the accident but I still chose to have it blasted & repainted as rust was showing in places.
New intercooler was fitted as the fins on mine were disintegrating, one alloy refurbed (still need to get another one done, although ideally I would get all 3 done but cost will be an issue), I also replaced the spacesaver with a full size wheel plus a new tyre.
The additional costs of a new battery, both front springs & an MOT were not welcome, I can tell you that!!
When the insurer paid out, they didn't tell me I'd only have a week with the courtesy car, so I was somewhat surprised when Enterprise phoned me when the week was up asking for me to return it!! Fortunately I have been able to get lifts into work

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 12:44   #25
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Your worst case situation is the insurer paying out market value minus what they would get for it from a salvage company and allowing you to keep the car. Being able to show receipts for recent work to improve the car would increase the likely payout to an extent. Tracking is just maintenance.

At the end of the day, you do need to be realistic that it is a 19 year old car with a market value around its scrap value. Discussing the offer with the insurer's valuer/engineer politely as opposed being on the offensive charged with emotion would be my recommendation. The engineer will not be out to insult you!

These things happen. It's not the end of the world - as I kept reminding myself when first my pride and joy Rover 820 and later Rover 420 were written off many years ago.
When mine was written off as a result of an oncoming car misjudging a corner, the resulting head on collision destroyed the front end and popped 3 out of 4 new tyres. Luckily for my partner who was driving, the cabin remained intact and the doors still opened, although they stuck slightly. My insurers paid out within a week, a very fair settlement well above my expectations. They also paid for the scattered Christmas shopping and full tank of fuel. My frantic Ebay, Autotrader and other advertisers checks was a waste of time because the offer was so good.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 17:50   #26
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

When my ZT190 was written off I got a very fair settlement and a cheap buy-back from my insurer, in large part because the estimators at the claim centre were so impressed by the car. You know it's going to go well when the head estimator calls and says, "All of the boys in the shop were checking out your car."
Old 18th January 2022, 20:10   #27
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Just remember the car is yours. It does not belong to the insurer unless you allow them to 'purchase' it from you by accepting a pay out without confirming you are keeping the car.

I would say this should be the first part of the communication with your insurer. Explain the car has been damaged in an accident and you will be keeping the car with a view to have it repaired one way or the other.

When my ZT-T was deemed uneconomical to repair, I think I was initially offered £800 minus the buy back/scrap value. After a few discussions I received £1100 minus scrap value. Quite a considerable percentage increase.

Good luck. I'm sure there will be plenty of help from us here. Some parts are getting a bit harder to find now so you may need to wait a little.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote