Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th January 2022, 17:40   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default A 45 question not a 75 question.

I know this isn't necessarily the right place to ask about L series engines and Rover 45s, but it might make a change?

I'm most probably getting rid of our Zafira 1900 CDTI which has a number of issues. Firstly that in belches out smoke from under the bonnet when it is started ( mainly due to the weather and the fact it started doing it on Christmas eve, I've not had a chance to look at), plus the M32 gearbox gradually failing, the MOT expires in 3 weeks anyway. I usually like to fix rather replace however I'm losing the will to bother fixing it, maybe time to just scrap it.

I still have the diesel 75 tourer which soldiers on despite it's ailments

Mrs Andy has requested that whatever replaces the Vauxhall it must be a bit smaller. Personally I'd get another 75, but she who must be obeyed...
We've a budget of up to about £1800, but I'd like to spend a bit less and leave a few quid spare for some servicing costs if needed.

I've been researching C1s, Fiat 500, Corsa etc.. and you don't get much car for the money these days! Ironically there are loads of 75s for that money, I'm assuming the ULEZ is having an effect doesn't appear to have reached us yet.

As a possible 'temporary' replacement, I've seen a local advert for a 2003 45 Impression S 2.0TD with 69k miles for £500 with 11 months MOT. Allegedly everything working, there's a few minor blemishes in appearance and needs a good valet. I've not been to view it yet. The seller herself has used it as a stop gap replacement, and is now moving it on. Crucially it is smaller than the 75.

I'm not asking for an opinion on that particular car, but just some general things to look out for in the with 45s and the L series diesel engine. As I've been impressed with 75 in nearly 5 years of ownership I'm happy to get another vehicle from MG Rover. I'm not worried about servicing costs as most of what I can do will mean they are negligible.

Another thing I've noticed is that the 2.0 diesel is £80 a year less road tax than the all the petrol models, and at least 8mpg more economical around town.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 18:08   #2
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

I have owned three 75s including my current Contemporary SE Tourer CDTi which I have had for 16 years. In between I owned an early (V-regn) 45 turbo diesel. I found it particularly comfortable (suspension-wise) and faster than any of my 75s. However, I think that was because it was light and it certainly didn't feel as solidly built as the 75. Remember the 75 has a very high crash test rating. However, I have never been in a Zafira!
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 18:18   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I had a 45 2.0TD alongside the 75 CDT. The 45 is not as luxurious as the 75 but when you stop comparing the two, it is really nice. The engine revs more like a petrol unit.

As long as it drives well at time of purchase, plus the underside is rust free, it should be a low risk purchase. I did about 21k miles in mine and had no issues with it at all over the 2 years. Parts are cheap and it gives slightly better MPG than the 75 with MPG easily achievable. The engine is bullet proof.

We have a Corsa 1.2 82bhp model and again it is really nice plus easy to park etc. We get an average of about 44 MPG which is good for a petrol. But you really need to spend around £3k for a good used one.
Old 12th January 2022, 19:10   #4
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

I'd go for it.
Do like the L series as ran my old 620GSDi on pure veg oil, never ran it on diesel for the 2 years. Only down side was when waiting traffic I had a craving for fish n chips due to the smell.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 23:00   #5
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

My dad had a 400 series which is pretty much the same as a 45. He had the 1600 Rover engine and still misses his 400 to this day.

He had the top spec model and the leather seats were some of best I've know in looks and comfort. In his earlier days of ownership I know he had brake issues / calipers locking. It went for scrap after he was quoted a high price for an ABS module that had developed a fault. I couldn't say if these issues are common with this model. I know the cabin fan motors had a habit of blowing resistors but this I think is an easy fix with an uprated resistor.

I remember it being very nice to travel in. Good ride quality albeit a thirsty engine. The diesel I think will be a good option. Hope you go for it. Good luck.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 05:36   #6
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Just make sure the cambelt has been done or factor it in. Its due every 48k miles.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 09:20   #7
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Hi Andy,

The 45 diesel is a very underated car, I've seen the advert for the one you're looking at and recommended it to a friend (who's Astra has just died) only a few days ago ! But don't worry, he's a 'badge snob' so unlikely to buy it...

We've had a 45 diesel for a couple years and although it's just over 100k, it's been brilliant after some initial faults were sorted. So here goes, things to look out for:

Outer door handles: the retaining lugs that go into the door skin are weak and split. Handles still work, but you are best to put your thumb on the main body of the handle as you pull it, until a fix can be done. There are brass inserts that pull out of the plastic body but can be bonded in and strengthened.

Front footwell leaks: often found to be coming along the roof seam above the B-pillar and tracking forward behind the interior trims. Carefully remove the rubber roof trim and you'll see the spot welds have larger spacing near the central pillar. The sealer cracks (as old) and water gets in, runs along the roof, down the inside of the screen pillar and into your footwell. Also check all grommets going through the bulkhead.

Glow plugs: early L-series only had 3 plugs, but to meet increasing emissions standards, later cars have all 4. Unfortunately, the 4th one is hidden behind the injection pump. Replacement means the pump has to come off as there's not enough clearance to get the plug in/out. Worth doing as unlikely it's ever been changed.

Cambelts: L-series has 2 cambelts, the main one and a small one at the opposite end driving the injection pump. Make sure they are changed at the specified interval (although the small one breaking wouldn't actually do any damage). Easy enough to change both at home in a few hours.

Corrosion: look for rust on underbody components and pipework at the rear, around the tailgate hinges, rear arches, inner sills and underneath the floor at the front of the front footwells. There is a pressed 'bulge' here where water collects inside if the drains get blocked. Common issue but easily welded if a car is otherwise good.

Passenger Airbag 'Lifting': very common for the edges of this to lift in the sunlight and spoil the look of the dash. Just disconnect the battery, drop the glovebox, unbolt the airbag unit and trim a suitable amount of plastic off each mounting post. Bolt it back down and your airbag will fit flush to the dash, as Rover intended

Blower fan: the resister pack often fails (common 25/45/TF issue) meaning fan speeds don't all work. Drop the glovebox and replace the pack, about 15 mins and £15.

Plenum cover foam seal: this will likely have perished to dust by now and rain water can drip in past the blower motor. Remove the wipers, unclip the plenum cover, remove and clean all the old foam off, buy a new roll of water proof draft excluder in B&Q or similar (maybe £3), then reseal around the edges. Clean out all the muck that'll be in the plenum then refit and no more drips on the passengers feet !

Can't really think of much else BUT they are a far simpler car than a 75 so no problem is ever really drastic on them. As I'm sure you know it's based on a 90's Honda Civic so don't expect 75 levels of refinement and the diesel is noisier when cold, but the L-series will last for ever if serviced & looked after. Parts are cheap and if not available for a 45, then the Honda equivalent probably still is. Plenty of petrols being scrapped now too so you might be able to get coloured panels if you want to tidy it up. If the car checks out ok and drives well, I'd say with 11 mths MOT it could be a bit of a bargain....

Let us know how you get on.....
Old 13th January 2022, 09:20   #8
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Just make sure the cambelt has been done or factor it in. Its due every 48k miles.
Don't forget there is 2 on the l series. One driving cam from crank, other side driving fuel pump. Easy to do in the 600 but never did one in a 2x(x)/4x(x)
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 09:27   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

No experience of the diesel version of 45s, but have owned 4 petrol versions over the past 10 years (still have one), and whilst they are not that economical, the amount of space in a small package is vast, and the handling and ride quality are great as well.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 09:53   #10
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Forgot to say, driven sensibly a well serviced car with correct tyre pressures should see 45-50 mpg around town and nudging 60 mpg on a run (we toured around Cornwall a while back, various cold starts, road types and speeds and managed 56 mpg)