Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd November 2021, 08:24   #11
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I hope so, however it's old cars they want off the road.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:23   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The devil will be in the detail. As you say easy enough to do with the next generation of vehicles. I doubt anyone could tell me what spec my old Norton Commando left the factory with!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:22   #13
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

I don’t think its possible for this kind of 'type approval' legislation, which Germany has had for at least 45 years, to be retrospective as the volume of data required would be staggering and therefor unenforceable, which is the main point.
It would be difficult even on new vehicles but at least do-able. It sounds like something manufacturers would want and push for as it puts everything through their dealer network which keeps it profitable and avoids warranty work on what they would consider to be tampered vehicles.
In a car where the manufacture disappeared 15 years or a perfectly legal import that hasn’t been made or imported for 10 – where would you even start? I don’t think we have anything to worry about.
I lived in Germany 40 years ago and I remember putting a mini through a TÜV test (their MOT) and having to change a standard steering wheel to a smaller non-standard wheel, because that car had had its steering wheel changed by a previous owner and that change was recorded into the cars log, but when he sold it he put it back to standard and consequently the car contravened its approval.
Old 8th November 2021, 21:27   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I can confirm the steering wheel story. My son who lives in Germany, when he came over to GB on holiday, bought a steering wheel for his German car. When he took it for the two year MOT, it failed on the specs sheet because it was not a tuv approved part, and not in the specs for the car. He had to change it back to the old one which he had luckily kept.
Old 9th November 2021, 07:19   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

My guess plugging into a cars OBD port will be part of the MOT test in the next few years. This will show up all those hidden faults that are being hidden by timed warning lights and of course will tell if EGR's are switched off ect.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2021, 08:15   #16
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The devil will be in the detail. As you say easy enough to do with the next generation of vehicles. I doubt anyone could tell me what spec my old Norton Commando left the factory with!
I appreciate what you're saying, however lifting the bonnet to find a cold air intake with large K&N fitted would be very noticable

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2021, 08:48   #17
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

How would I know what spec my car is, I bought it as seen I am not aware of any updates so I am ignorant to that fact.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2021, 09:49   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

How would I know what spec my car is, I bought it as seen I am not aware of any updates so I am ignorant to that fact.

Rev.

Ignorance is not a defence in compliance and law!

I suspect there would be a system that will maintain the approved build spec of each car. Any deviations from the spec would be recorded at the annual checks. This is why the change can only really be effectively implemented for cars that have the necessary inbuilt capability and a system has been established to track approved specifications.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2021, 11:58   #19
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
........The modern cars will be like a robot reporting any faults etc to the manufacturer and authorities!
I think that you are correct and it is just around the corner.
EDR (Electronic Data Recorders) have been compulsory in the US for many years now.
In an event, such as airbag deployment, data is locked and recorded.
This gives information such as vehicle speed, attitude, brake pressure, any activation of ABS or airbags, whether seat belts are being worn etc. etc.

Worldwide, including Europe, are now following suit.
I was looking at a list of vehicles, produced by Bosch. The list is huge, but, as an example, you only have to look at A&B to realise that Audi and BMW models are either EDR compliant, or will be by next year in 2022.

The other thing is if a vehicle has a factory fitted infotainment system.
This will enable information to be captured and transmitted, such as where you have been, what calls you have made/received and even what music you have been listening to!

Big brother is now looming.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2021, 12:23   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
............... even what music you have been listening to!

Big brother is now looming.

This will not need much complexity. The answer will be Tina Turner, Meatloaf or Non-compliant.

Also, you forgot to mention terminators to eliminate speeding motorists.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote