Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th November 2021, 11:57   #1
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Default Back from the brink - my 75 resurrected by Terry Shaw

This time last week, my beloved Cowley-built 75, looked as though it might have reached the end of its road and I was wracked with worry. As well as being my daily transport since April 2009, it has become my hobby - with my enjoyment of this club, participation in the Cowley Convoy/Pride of Longbridge and the friendships I have made.

The sorry saga began just over 2 weeks ago, when switching on the sidelights, the dashboard display illumination momentarily went off, then came on again. I was concerned, of course but just thought it was a quirky glitch.

Fast forward to two Fridays ago - a dark morning in more senses than one - again, the dashboard didn't illuminate.
I rang my trusted 'guru', Terry Shaw of TS Autos, as I then discovered that only two indicators were working.

At that stage, Terry suspected a malfunctioning Light Switch Module (LSM) and like an air traffic controller guiding a passenger to land a plane, he talked me through how to extract it, undo it from the wiring loom and then spray it with contact cleaner. Unfortunately, this wasn't the cure.

By Saturday, the brake lights had also failed, as well as the number plate lights so I arranged for the AA to call early on Sunday. The AA mechanic, was polite and helpful in the pouring rain and thought the problem might be a faulty earth. By mid-afternoon, an equally courteous AA man arrived to take the car on his flat-bed lorry all the way from Guildford to Terry in South Shropshire, where it arrived early Monday morning.

Terry made it clear that this was no easy problem to solve and prepared me for the worst news as a highly likely outcome. Terry worked tirelessly for the next few days, having to partially dismantle the car��.

But he weaved his magic and was able with Sherlock Holmes-style sleuth to diagnose and treat the issue that had caused the major breakdown. It was a problem with the brown and orange live feed from the under-bonnet fuse box to the LSM, having a poor connection at the fusebox end.

The car had many leaks, centred in and near the boot, including a ventilator at bumper level and some of the side chrome strips where the foam backing has passed its design life and effectively turned to powder, enabling water to get in. On top of this, the recently installed after-market number plate unit had failed and water got into the boot latch. All told, the spare wheel well had become a well in reality too. All these issues have now been addressed by Terry, but in a 21-year-old car are a wake-up call for me - and may help others here too ��.

So, yesterday, I had an epic train trip from Guildford to Terry's - my first time on public transport since February 2020(!), which actually took me on a beautiful excursion via Wales.

Terry finalised his repairs with the original Rimmers-supplied number plate light unit and I had an uneventful
safe drive home.

The lesson for me is that never assume it is the end of the road until an expert such as Terry (who actually assembled/rectified the cars at Longbridge) has worked his magic. I am so indebted to him, as otherwise, I would have been without transport for the near future.

And warm thanks to Trikey too, for messaging me with offers to help with any parts, even in the middle of his traumatic week or two!

All the best to everyone,

Nicholas/Zircon

Last edited by Zircon; 7th November 2021 at 13:01.. Reason: Typo correction.
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 14:55   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Really pleased for you - i know the sense of relief.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 16:37   #3
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I’m glad to read that Zircon lives to drive another day, I know how much the car means to you Nicholas. Well done Terry, I really hope to meet and chat with him one day about his time on the line at Longbridge.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 17:23   #4
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
I’m glad to read that Zircon lives to drive another day, I know how much the car means to you Nicholas. Well done Terry, I really hope to meet and chat with him one day about his time on the line at Longbridge.
Really kind of you, Paul! You are absolutely right - and unlike you, I don't have the odd 75/ZT/ZTT up my sleeve. I know you would greatly enjoy meeting Terry who wears his knowledge lightly and is also a very kind gentleman who is not a averse to pulling my leg😊.

Hats off to the AA too on this occasion, the guys were all knowledgeable and helpful and Dougie who took the car for an overnight sleepover off the M5 was very knowledgeable about the demise of Longbridge.

My reasoning behind writing such a detailed post was to encourage others to believe it's still possible to keep our cars going as everyday transport when you have a access to expert support.

All the very best,

Nicholas/Zircon
Old 7th November 2021, 17:25   #5
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Really pleased for you - i know the sense of relief.
Really kind of you, Martin😊
Old 7th November 2021, 18:29   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Terry certainly knows these cars insde out. Great to hear that you are back on the road.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 18:39   #7
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

I live in Shropshire and have been wondering where the nearest expert might be for servicing etc as I look to take the plunge into ownership...I think I have just found the answer!
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 19:00   #8
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Terry certainly knows these cars insde out. Great to hear that you are back on the road.
Thank you so much, Mike - I think you and I are both 'paid-up' members of Terry's fan club😊. He was saying very nice things about you too yesterday!
Old 7th November 2021, 19:05   #9
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
I live in Shropshire and have been wondering where the nearest expert might be for servicing etc as I look to take the plunge into ownership...I think I have just found the answer!
A warm welcome to the club, Charlie - lots of luck searching out a car!

Only about 32 miles for you 😊.

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon
Old 7th November 2021, 19:32   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Good to hear the car is back on the road, Terry is an absolute legend! I’ve not had the privilege to speak to either of you for a while but looking forward to it at the next opportunity

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote