Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th September 2021, 07:35   #31
postbasher
Avid contributor

Rover Connoisseur cdt se auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Petrol tanker drivers have an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.
So what's changed? Nothing !!
Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.
The Result of the media scaremongering!!
Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.
And to top it the government have 1000’s of trained military personnel who are available if there was a real fuel crisis. Ruddy Media!! Ruddy sheep, Ruddy selfish mentality.
I think Number 6 you have hit the nail squarely on the head....
I heard an item on Radio 4 and i knew right then what was about to happen....frankly i suspect those panic buying are just the same selfish souls who voted in this government...and since the election my feeling is there is worse to come...already there is talk of having to 'save' xmas What goes around comes around..
postbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 11:05   #32
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
How about this for a theory or thought thinking process, go back 12 months or so when we were all in lock down, told to stay home, work from home, and when the streets were empty of cars etc.

No petrol or diesel being sold because our cars were not being used, now think of all the diesel & petrol lying in massive storage tanks, and all the fuel these giants have on theirs hands because of that lock down etc.

There is a sell by date on fuel isn't there? we know that diesel can get a bug in it, lets just say you are sitting on millions of gallons of fuel which is about to go bad, now these giants don't like to be it in the pocket by losing fuel due to it being old and not good, what is the best way to get rid of it.

How about saying we are struggling to get drivers to fill up the garages with fuel and create a massive fuel shortage, problem solved because joe public, are like sheep and will panic buy, no more stale fuel so no loss for the giants.

Could it happen
I Like your thinking.....

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 14:13   #33
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbasher View Post
I heard an item on Radio 4 and i knew right then what was about to happen....frankly i suspect those panic buying are just the same selfish souls who voted in this government...and since the election my feeling is there is worse to come...already there is talk of having to 'save' xmas What goes around comes around..
Whatever one's political views, the "selfish souls" were in a majority, and democracy rules.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 14:39   #34
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
I actually genuinely am interested in a change of career to HGV driving for a few reasons:
1. I don't enjoy my current job working in IT
2. I love driving and I love big vehicles like trucks and buses
3. I would feel like I'm helping the country a bit in this moment of crisis
Take it from an ex-PSV/HGV driver that you should consult the appropriate medical fraternity to check on your sanity. The reasons I gave in are:-

Long hours with finishes in the middle of nowhere
(there were some compensations - female company and beer).
Changing road conditions - Roads being narrowed, traffic lights being re-timed to ensure a load of reds (not the Commies).
Higher and higher volumes of traffic and the associated idiots!

I would be appolectic with "smart" motorways!

Pay was good for a free batchelor but I blame Tony Blair, he wanted everyone to go to University (well....50%) and of course it is human nature for the elite to look down on the jobs that are needed to be filled but are beneath them.

Kev
p.s.
They have power steering and gearboxes now - nice
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 14:55   #35
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Never mind, when all the plonkers who were so desperate to fill their tanks, find out next week that they haven't actually driven anywhere, will not be at the pumps and we can resume normal madness.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 21:09   #36
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Never mind, when all the plonkers who were so desperate to fill their tanks, find out next week that they haven't actually driven anywhere, will not be at the pumps and we can resume normal madness.
Either that or they will continue driving around looking for petrol stations that have fuel, wasting the fuel they didn't need in the first place.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 21:19   #37
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The Co-op have announced that they are going to prioritise key workers for fuel sales at certain times at their stations.

I've suggested to the Mrs a trip to Ann Summers for a nurse's outfit but she's not convinced that the white PVC really goes with her XF-S.

Why? It's the same colour as the car
Old 30th September 2021, 20:31   #38
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

Did one of my regular 300 mile plus round trips in my ZT CDTI yesterday and today and had no problem filling up either at the weekend or replenishing today. A tip: go out of towns to a small countrey garage and on both occasions had no problem in filling up with diesel.

Some garages allow say no more than £40 sale of fuel. Why not turn it on its head and say minimum of say £25 spend no matter what is pumped. That way you at least stop those who may be putting in two or three gallons regularly. Just a thought.
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 21:55   #39
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbasher View Post
I'm one of those selfish soles, a case of choosing, in my opinion, the least worse option. However, I can assure you that I didn't hoard toilet rolls or hand gel. I didn't hoard flour and I certainly haven't hoarded fuel. Being retired I can choose when and how often I go out and I'm actually conserving fuel by reducing my driving. I reckon I've got about 120 miles worth of fuel remaining which gives me about 4 trips to my nearest supermarket which will leave about 2 gallons, the minimum I like to leave. If necessary I certainly won't waste gallons chasing around different garages, I'll walk (slowly) a mile each way and use my Old Codgers pass.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 14:40   #40
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
Did one of my regular 300 mile plus round trips in my ZT CDTI yesterday and today and had no problem filling up either at the weekend or replenishing today. A tip: go out of towns to a small countrey garage and on both occasions had no problem in filling up with diesel.

Some garages allow say no more than £40 sale of fuel. Why not turn it on its head and say minimum of say £25 spend no matter what is pumped. That way you at least stop those who may be putting in two or three gallons regularly. Just a thought.
Not very helpful for someone who might be living from pay packet to pay packet and needs that two or three gallons of petrol to see them safely to work for the rest of the week.

People just need to stop buying more than they need, it’s pretty simple.

It’s shambolic that a government has allowed a key infrastructure such as the freight network to get into such a state in the first place. Surely this kind of thing is the very basics of running a country. *shrug*
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote