Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th May 2021, 12:40   #1
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Default Diesel cooler return earth wire 🤔

Just behind the offside rear wheel sits the return diesel cooler. There appears to be an earth wire that should be attached to it approximately 6 inches long. Is this wire actually needed. Due to rusted brackets I would have to drill into the spare wheel well to get a good earth, which I'm reluctant to do.

Can I safely dispense with this earth wire?

Tia, Martyn.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 13:41   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I respectfully suggest it should be fitted

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 18:21   #3
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

I’m pretty sure mine has parted company from whatever it was attached to on one of the cars.
I only noticed it when replacing rear arms last year.
Needless to say it was one of the jobs I’d intended to get round to but forgotten about.
I know it’s there for a reason, but nothing untoward has happened to me yet.🤞
Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 18:49   #4
squire
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
I’m pretty sure mine has parted company from whatever it was attached to on one of the cars.
I only noticed it when replacing rear arms last year.
Needless to say it was one of the jobs I’d intended to get round to but forgotten about.
I know it’s there for a reason, but nothing untoward has happened to me yet.🤞
Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbh I don't know how long mine has been like it. Only noticed it trying to put the low pads warning light out!
Old 19th May 2021, 19:19   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Just behind the offside rear wheel sits the return diesel cooler. There appears to be an earth wire that should be attached to it approximately 6 inches long. Is this wire actually needed. Due to rusted brackets I would have to drill into the spare wheel well to get a good earth, which I'm reluctant to do.

Can I safely dispense with this earth wire?

Tia, Martyn.
Probably has a good reason to be there.-- Wouldn't like to see you go up in a ball of flame.--

A hole in the wheel well will do no harm whatsoever.--I've had 3 holes in mine for over 13 years.--Don't need them now as I found out where the water was getting in and fixed it.---

Will take only a few minutes to fit an earth wire ----so, do it.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 19:47   #6
squire
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Probably has a good reason to be there.-- Wouldn't like to see you go up in a ball of flame.--

A hole in the wheel well will do no harm whatsoever.--I've had 3 holes in mine for over 13 years.--Don't need them now as I found out where the water was getting in and fixed it.---

Will take only a few minutes to fit an earth wire ----so, do it.---
Thanks for the reply, I'm just hoping there's enough thread left where it screwed into the ally cooler lol. I might use the self tapping screw which hold the rear bumper to the body, it's quite convenient, if I don't like that it's a self tap in the spare wheel well. I doubt if a ball of flame would erupt though, diesel is not so flammable as petrol, however it'll be done once I've sorted brake pad warning light staying on, got to bridge the wires when the rain stops and the ground is dry to lie underneath the car.
It's having one hissy fit after another at the moment and I'm a bit more than fed up with it lol.
Old 19th May 2021, 19:49   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It should probably be attached, but the wire on my old diesel has been loose for 53000 miles (or 8 years) During my ownership and never caused a problem
Old 19th May 2021, 19:55   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

That brake pad light.---When you changed the pads did you replace the wear-away sensor ??--When I did mine I bridged the gap with a spot of solder to complete the circuit.---The sensor is an earth connection. When this connection is broken the ECU puts up a light on the dash to warn you of worn pads.

Sometimes, after a short time. the ECU detects the replaced sensor and switches off the dash light.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 20:44   #9
squire
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
That brake pad light.---When you changed the pads did you replace the wear-away sensor ??--When I did mine I bridged the gap with a spot of solder to complete the circuit.---The sensor is an earth connection. When this connection is broken the ECU puts up a light on the dash to warn you of worn pads.

Sometimes, after a short time. the ECU detects the replaced sensor and switches off the dash light.---
I changed rear pads, discs and handbrake shoes about a year ago, the sensor wires broke very close to where they come out of the plug, I had to cut some of the plug away to solder them together so it's here the problem might lie. If it's dry tomorrow I'll try and check it with a meter for continuity and maybe see if I can find a scrap yard with some 75's/ZT's in to see if can get some better ones with a bit more wire attached so I can solder the wires together better.
It's been fine until yesterday coming back from Wales, half way back the light came on , I've had a quick look and unplugged it a couple of times but I may not have plugged it in far enough, will have to get the car up on axle stands.
Old 19th May 2021, 20:52   #10
squire
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
It should probably be attached, but the wire on my old diesel has been loose for 53000 miles (or 8 years) During my ownership and never caused a problem
I wonder how many more are the same? Most of the support bracket for the cooler has rotted away, I think it's held up by the pipes more than anything, something else to sort out . Btw Andy, have you got any spare brake pad sensors with a decent bit of wire? Want to make up a couple of bridging connectors.