Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2021, 05:22   #21
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
So what about independence for the Shetland isles or Aberdeenshire, come to think of it let’s give everyone independence in minutiae. The problem is the rural communities are dominated by the decisions of masses in the central belt, and one could argue what do they do for us, certainly decisions are taken not in our favour.
Eventually there will be another vote for independence, when who knows but I can assure you that there are a lot of quiet folks that don’t have delusions of Mel Gibsons Braveheart in their minds that will step up to vote on the day. The independence dudes are generally all shouty and get the most coverage on media unfortunately.

Come on HMG beat them to it. Call an independence vote for England that will put the Mel Gibsons fans on the back foot.
If there is a strong feeling for it - let the people vote I say.

What about “Independence” for English Regions? If you look at post 11 I believe I have put the issue into perspective in that Scotland is only about the same size in terms of population and GDP as the SW of England.

And yet Scotland gets U.K. government funding 28% higher than the SW. Scotland has its own devolved government (that perpetually runs up a deficit even with 28% greater funding) and yet Scotland does not want to be part of the Union that provides it with all this money and self governance

Why should such a small part of the U.K. receive so much more than other regions?

The money the U.K. gives Scotland just seems to annoy the Scottish Independence seekers more and more!

Scotland needs to understand that when it’s great city of Edinburgh gets ranked 4th best place in the U.K. to live and a city like Plymouth gets ranked 59th, people start to ask why should we keep throwing money at a small region of the U.K. that constantly and consistently states it does not want to be part of the Union that actually funds it at a significantly higher level to the detriment of other, more deserving, regions.

As I have said before - What is not to like about Scottish Independence when we in the SW get just 92p per person back for every £1 tax raised whilst Scotland gets a whopping £1.16 - and yet Scotland does not seem to like it?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 07:53   #22
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
If there is a strong feeling for it - let the people vote I say.

What about “Independence” for English Regions? If you look at post 11 I believe I have put the issue into perspective in that Scotland is only about the same size in terms of population and GDP as the SW of England.

And yet Scotland gets U.K. government funding 28% higher than the SW. Scotland has its own devolved government (that perpetually runs up a deficit even with 28% greater funding) and yet Scotland does not want to be part of the Union that provides it with all this money and self governance

Why should such a small part of the U.K. receive so much more than other regions?

The money the U.K. gives Scotland just seems to annoy the Scottish Independence seekers more and more!

Scotland needs to understand that when it’s great city of Edinburgh gets ranked 4th best place in the U.K. to live and a city like Plymouth gets ranked 59th, people start to ask why should we keep throwing money at a small region of the U.K. that constantly and consistently states it does not want to be part of the Union that actually funds it at a significantly higher level to the detriment of other, more deserving, regions.

As I have said before - What is not to like about Scottish Independence when we in the SW get just 92p per person back for every £1 tax raised whilst Scotland gets a whopping £1.16 - and yet Scotland does not seem to like it?
I hear you, i just wish the Mel Gibson fans would look at it from this perspective. HMG needs to play this card more.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 08:01   #23
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
I hear you, i just wish the Mel Gibson fans would look at it from this perspective. HMG needs to play this card more.
Oh please don’t burst my bubble!!! ..... - we are all looking forward to getting some of that 28% down here in the SW!!

Last edited by Darcydog; 11th May 2021 at 08:05.. Reason: Typo
Old 11th May 2021, 11:11   #24
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I’m not unduly concerned about the money involved. In a true union of states (if we are considered equals) every region should be adequately funded. That seems, in my view, a noble and equitable aim. Very few of the regions or Counties can boast an exactly suitable mix of industry with which to fund its rural make-up, so central funding is essential.

There does however seem to be bubbling away, scared of being ‘fronted’, an unspoken, possibly historical, enmity towards anything south of the border. By a very tiny minority of angry protestors, that’s citizens rather than constituencies, Scotland is demonstrating what elsewhere would be likely to attract severe criticism. That’s sectarianism by any other name and is, everywhere else thankfully, consigned to the waste bin. Maybe it will be here, too.
Old 11th May 2021, 14:52   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I’m not unduly concerned about the money involved. In a true union of states (if we are considered equals) every region should be adequately funded. That seems, in my view, a noble and equitable aim. Very few of the regions or Counties can boast an exactly suitable mix of industry with which to fund its rural make-up, so central funding is essential.

There does however seem to be bubbling away, scared of being ‘fronted’, an unspoken, possibly historical, enmity towards anything south of the border. By a very tiny minority of angry protestors, that’s citizens rather than constituencies, Scotland is demonstrating what elsewhere would be likely to attract severe criticism. That’s sectarianism by any other name and is, everywhere else thankfully, consigned to the waste bin. Maybe it will be here, too.
A brilliantly worded post as per usual Ray.

And I agree - all regions should be treated fairly. And yes - enmity towards the “olde enemy” south of the border is thinly disguised within some individuals but most certainly not all!!

(Edit - this reads not as I meant it - I meant that “not all” show enmity - quite the reverse in my experience- I did not mean to convey that “not all” are able to thinly disguise such enmity - Apologies)

And also yes, (you are brave to say it - ) it is sectarianism - not least because those of us in the SW with a region of similar size, GDP and equivalent geography (large areas of farmland and moors with hi tech industries in key area - plus the largest onshore oil field in Europe at Wytch Farm in the Purbeck Hills of Dorset) - we wonder exactly why, an equivalent region to ourselves gets its own Parliament Building with 129 MSP’s at a build cost of over £400million and running costs of said Parliament of £millions a year - plus a further 59 MP’s in the House of Commons in Westminster......

When we in the SW exist on just 55 MP’s at Westminster. But get 28% less funding........

Last edited by Darcydog; 11th May 2021 at 15:19.. Reason: Correction
Old 11th May 2021, 15:43   #26
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's a tricky subject but, I'm sure we are mature enough to conduct it with respect to our Hibernian cousins!

The obvious disparity in funding is a result of appeasement over the devolution issue.

Those restless highland breasts 'came slightly less obsessed
With patriotism, when Barnett came and went.
The pipes corked, the skirl muted, the glens fell still and silent.
The heroes all gone, the battles now won, we settled for a handful of grain.
Our glory is there, we need not face them again.

Thought it was worth a reappraisal of mine of August 2016 to forestall any charges of bias!:

'I had a Scottish grandparent and two great-grand parents, maybe that’s why I would want Independence if I were ‘more’ Scottish. Even so, to become part of EU after becoming Independent from UK would be a worse option than staying part of UK. If Scots think they are somehow under the yolk as they are, the thought of changing UK for EU is a horror story.

Whatever Scots may think of the English part of the UK, you are wrong. Scotland is admired and respected as a nation, as people, and celebrated as probably the most distinctive part character-wise of the whole.

The dream of self-determination is everybody’s dream, and you already have it! With UK about to become free of the mess over the channel, your future is about to develop hugely to your advantage'.

Now, following events 5 years later:

The dream for independence is, for the SNP, allied with membership of EU. This is only granted when certain monetary standards are met. For instance, an application to become a member can only be considered if the applicant signs up to the Euro and current statements from SNP confirm they will ‘retain’ the £ for an uncertain term.

The Scottish national debt is also way out of kilter with EU basic requirements and the loss of UK regional funding/support would be bankruptcy before they started. UK is hardly likely about to fund Scotland’s membership of EU!

In the news recently the NatWest says they will remove their HQ from Scotland to London in the event of independence! Now that’s just a bit short of a recommendation! It’s not Scotland that wants this, it’s the SNP. They are perfectly entitled to want it of course, but the wider electorate might not agree.
Old 11th May 2021, 17:22   #27
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

[QUOTE=
"those of us in the SW" and "When we in the SW" ........[/QUOTE]

Isn't Fordingbridge in the SE ?

Would it not be better to compare the data for that area with Bonnie Scotland as it would be more relevant to your own location?
Old 11th May 2021, 20:39   #28
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
Isn't Fordingbridge in the SE ?

Would it not be better to compare the data for that area with Bonnie Scotland as it would be more relevant to your own location?
I live 5 min from Wiltshire and 5 min from Dorset. My office/place of work was Ferndown and Bridport.

Where is “Home” for you?
Old 12th May 2021, 19:39   #29
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Made the comment as your profile says Forgingbridge, which is in the SE, unless its moved. https://www.visitsoutheastengland.co...bridge-p647141
Just thought it would be better to compare the statistics of your own district with Bonnie Scotland instead of your next door neighbours for all to scrutinise. Just saying like.
Old 12th May 2021, 19:46   #30
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I think Scotland deserves better than a “one trick pony”.
Not a dickie bird about how the distributed debt would be serviced.

Not a dickie bird about a currency.

Not a dickie bird about border control (an insistence by the EU if they successfully join).

Not a dickie bird about how higher taxation (of Scottish population either resident or overseas) would be necessary or the acceptance of very limited service provision.

Good 'ole Tony "I'm a straight sort of guy" Blair and his sofa cabinet!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote