Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th April 2021, 11:24   #51
cantabro75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn SE 2004

Gentlemans, my deep feeling from Spain for the passed away of His Royal Highness. We have in Spain seen Him allways not only as relative of Her Majesty Queen Sophia , but also as a person that he said what he thought many times, and was popular here for that.
We pray God for his Soul, for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, all the Royal Family
R.I.P
Old 11th April 2021, 11:36   #52
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Work have put the flags at half mast..

Old 11th April 2021, 14:06   #53
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Are you able to say how you met HRH Prince Phillip?

I was a member of the Royal guard when they visited HMS Dolphin for the trooping of the Submarine colours, something that had happened rarely in the past. When they inspected us he was always lagging behind the queen as he constantly stopped to have a chat with most of the guard. I think he felt most at home and at ease when it was a naval duty to perform considering his early career in the service.
Met Diana the year before when she came aboard HMS Trafalgar for a day at sea.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Old 13th April 2021, 19:26   #54
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Never date or marry a woman that considers the horse her partner....

Kev
Old 14th April 2021, 08:33   #55
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Some not quite on the mark:

On a trip to China in the 1980s, he warned British students: "You'll get slitty eyes if you stay too long."

- During a visit to Oban in Scotland in 1995, he asked a driving instructor: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the (driving) test?"

- In 1999, while on a tour of a company near Edinburgh, Scotland, he saw a poorly wired fuse box.
"It looks as though it was put in by an Indian," he said.

- While touring Australia in 2002, he asked an Aborigine whether they still threw spears at each other.
Old 15th April 2021, 08:59   #56
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I'm in agreement with his sentiments,however they are perhaps a little hypocritical from someone who hunted now endangered species for sport.
I was always mystified how someone with a dubious history on animal welfare could become president of The World Wildlife Fund.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 15th April 2021 at 11:56..
Old 15th April 2021, 12:09   #57
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

He is occasionally blunt, almost to the point of mockery in a once-upon-a-time gentlemanly manner. Just as I, and many others, have been on here. Those times are as departed as the man himself.

Times change and later assessment warrants a realisation that all things change, sometimes not necessarily for the better. His history now falls hostage to the ‘woke’ industry and an open season (to use his own terms) on generationally established practice.

An example from today’s press which goes quite a way to highlight his succinct and unstated natural courtesy:

‘Norman Tebbit’s late wife Margaret fretted about a state dinner at Buckingham Palace because of her difficulty using cutlery*. She was even more horrified on arrival to find that she had been placed next to Prince Philip. However, the minute the first course arrived he handed his cutlery to the footman and then ate the entire meal with his fingers. Of course, Margaret could then do the same.’

Can anybody care to hazard a guess just how much one’s cutlery at a state dinner is on table?

*Lady Tebbit's difficulties are widely remembered.

Last edited by wraymond; 15th April 2021 at 12:12..
Old 15th April 2021, 13:10   #58
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

An example from today’s press which goes quite a way to highlight his succinct and unstated natural courtesy:

‘Norman Tebbit’s late wife Margaret fretted about a state dinner at Buckingham Palace because of her difficulty using cutlery*. She was even more horrified on arrival to find that she had been placed next to Prince Philip. However, the minute the first course arrived he handed his cutlery to the footman and then ate the entire meal with his fingers. Of course, Margaret could then do the same.’

Can anybody care to hazard a guess just how much one’s cutlery at a state dinner is on table?

Wow, what a great example of his character.
Old 15th April 2021, 18:44   #59
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
He is occasionally blunt, almost to the point of mockery in a once-upon-a-time gentlemanly manner. Just as I, and many others, have been on here. Those times are as departed as the man himself.

Times change and later assessment warrants a realisation that all things change, sometimes not necessarily for the better. His history now falls hostage to the ‘woke’ industry and an open season (to use his own terms) on generationally established practice.

Time will show us many examples of how he was, things we didn't get to hear will be talked about, and then we'll know the quality of the man that's been lost to so many.
Old 16th April 2021, 07:07   #60
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

No doubt the BBC will be broadcasting the funeral for the next week.