Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2021, 04:07   #1
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts
Default Betamax

Way before I got into Rover 75s and ZTs I had and still have an interest in the old Betamax video format.

Back in the day, my folks went for Beta over VHS for picture quality reasons but as we all know, VHS won the format battle. In the 80s I worked as an assistant manager in our local video shop and when the owner decided to sell off the Betamax stock, I started to collect them.

Spool forward 30 years and I still have a collection of over 1,000 pre recorded Beta rental tapes, all of which play perfectly in my equally large collection of Betamax video recorders.

I still regularly trawl eBay for Betas to add to my collection which must be somewhat unique these days. What memories, experiences do you have of this old video format? Anyone still have any tapes in their loft or machines still running from yester-year?

Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 07:13   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Way before I got into Rover 75s and ZTs I had and still have an interest in the old Betamax video format.

Back in the day, my folks went for Beta over VHS for picture quality reasons but as we all know, VHS won the format battle. In the 80s I worked as an assistant manager in our local video shop and when the owner decided to sell off the Betamax stock, I started to collect them.

Spool forward 30 years and I still have a collection of over 1,000 pre recorded Beta rental tapes, all of which play perfectly in my equally large collection of Betamax video recorders.

I still regularly trawl eBay for Betas to add to my collection which must be somewhat unique these days. What memories, experiences do you have of this old video format? Anyone still have any tapes in their loft or machines still running from yester-year?

[/CENTER]
Just a few then Paul

Out of interest, when did the movie studios finally stop producing movies on betamax ?
Old 13th March 2021, 07:41   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

That is some collection Paul. I bet you're popular with Mrs Reebs
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 08:08   #4
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Just a few then Paul

Out of interest, when did the movie studios finally stop producing movies on betamax ?
It’s hard to say, but the general opinion is 1989 in the UK (I have a copy of the Bond Movie Licence To Kill from 1989) and around 1991 in the USA.
Old 13th March 2021, 08:09   #5
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
That is some collection Paul. I bet you're popular with Mrs Reebs
She is very tolerant
Old 13th March 2021, 11:59   #6
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
It’s hard to say, but the general opinion is 1989 in the UK (I have a copy of the Bond Movie Licence To Kill from 1989) and around 1991 in the USA.
This might surprise you then. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax#End_of_production
Old 13th March 2021, 12:27   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

That is an incredible collection, on modern digital TVs can you still tune a pre-scart VCR into it.

Dont have any tapes from it, but my dad's VCR of choice at the beginning was V2000! A top loading Philips model (I think Grundig were the only other brand who were involved in the format).

something like this one

A pre recorded video was a treat, and we would go to the 'video shop', which in the late 70's and 80's were rather seedy affairs lol, to pick out a video to watch on a Friday night or Saturday.

VHS had a big selection devoted to it, Beta roughly half, and then V2000, one or two racks . But my dad was not particularly interested in pre recorded videos (I am not a fan either), however it was used for recording 'the other side' when he couldnt watch something, or for something that he couldnt get to watch (from work or whatever).

He had a diary that would list all the tapes, and their timer positions, because the V2000 had a 'goto' function. Press go to, and type in the counter number, and off you went. Also side A or side B too. Double sided tapes, effectively giving you twin speed without the reduction in quality, before twin speed was a thing. Pre recorded tapes did not need to be turned normally.

It didnt last very long though, as media started to become difficult to obtain. Then it became a VHS, and in July 1983 (I still have its receipt somewhere) for the princely sum of £599, a Hitachi twin speed (1983!) with a tape remain display, became our VCR. Along with that, around 500 numbered tapes, recorded with films and TV series again, catalogued in a diary, again with their times marked to make it easier to find.

My uncle was a Beta fan though, but he was an audiophile, and preferred it over the quality. When Beta became difficult to obtain, he had to relent and get a VHS, but it had to be the highest quality, with the NiCam.

Where I work, we have 1000's of Beta tapes mainly broadcast tapes, as we hold the archive of UTV's collection.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 12:28   #8
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
Yeah, I knew about that. The production of blank cassettes carried on for years after the machines stopped being produced, but the pre recorded movies fell by the wayside way before that time sadly.

I’m amazed though how many ex rental movies are still knocking about for sale on eBay even now though
Old 13th March 2021, 12:30   #9
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Impressive! Are there themes to your collection or do you just buy every tape you can?
Old 13th March 2021, 13:04   #10
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwoodhou View Post
Impressive! Are there themes to your collection or do you just buy every tape you can?
It’s a general spread really, but I don’t go after every tape there is. I’m not bothered with the early video nasties titles that a lot of Pre Cert collectors are always hankering after. I have just amassed a wide range sometimes from shop clearances.