Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2020, 08:41   #41
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Had a set delivered from Rimmers last week, cost including vat and postage is now £27.54. These will be fitted to Copperleaf next week.
Moonstone Y reg already has them.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 21:23   #42
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The first set I got from Rimmers was missing one of the large bolts.
I e-mailed and asked them to send a replacement bolt but they insisted on sending another kit. If I lived in the UK that would have been great but I ended up having to pay $25.00 in import duty. and I now have an almost complete kit spare. Luckily I have a local mate with a couple of 75s that should be able to make use of them. (And he can source a replacement bolt!)
Old 31st May 2020, 21:41   #43
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just come across this post again. Guess what? ..........Still not fitted.
I did the same thing after having a new set of damper struts off DMGRS fitted 3 1/2 years (16K miles) back (see post #24).
Attacking a front-end off job over the last couple of week (replacing the AC condensor and releasing a stuck bonnet) and remembered the protectors.
I had to fit a new wheel arch liner anyway so decided to fit the protectors first - only to find the O/S damper is leaking!
I offered up the protector anyway - and it don't fit, the spring seating flange profile is different!!! Got hold of Matt who appeared to be vaguely aware of the situation by suggesting that "old tooling was lost and things have altered meantime". I can appreciate the sentiment but whilst things changed why didn't 'they' incorporate the shielding feature in the revised flange design; it also appears negligent and a liability to prevent a recall safety feature from being retro fitted whilst ignoring a known design fault/weakness. I'm guessing the SIAC cars could also bust springs and subsequently puncture tyres and all that entails.
...and beware replacement dampers.
Still waiting for Matt to let em know about the leaking damper.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 15:30   #44
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I did the same thing after having a new set of damper struts off DMGRS fitted 3 1/2 years (16K miles) back (see post #24).
Attacking a front-end off job over the last couple of week (replacing the AC condensor and releasing a stuck bonnet) and remembered the protectors.
I had to fit a new wheel arch liner anyway so decided to fit the protectors first - only to find the O/S damper is leaking!
I offered up the protector anyway - and it don't fit, the spring seating flange profile is different!!! Got hold of Matt who appeared to be vaguely aware of the situation by suggesting that "old tooling was lost and things have altered meantime". I can appreciate the sentiment but whilst things changed why didn't 'they' incorporate the shielding feature in the revised flange design; it also appears negligent and a liability to prevent a recall safety feature from being retro fitted whilst ignoring a known design fault/weakness. I'm guessing the SIAC cars could also bust springs and subsequently puncture tyres and all that entails.
...and beware replacement dampers.
Still waiting for Matt to let em know about the leaking damper.
Don't wish to highjack the thread but felt I should update the damper issue (and, as far as I know the protectors will NOT fit 'OEM' replacement struts now being supplied from SIAC sources - so there is a real safety issue that needs addressing....).
DMGRS (Mat and I presume Scott) has agreed to replace the O/S/F leaking damper, they are now waiting for me to check the N/S. What do you guys think about replacing just one side of the front suspension in the event there isn't a guarantee that it's existing N/S mate (supplied 3 1/2 years back) is the same spec. since exact OEM match dampers were not available i.e. I've a Contemporary SE Hi-line with sport suspension (whatever that was?) and I think the replacements were advertised as the ZT 'comfort' spec. - I only purchased the dampers and drop links, not complete assemblies.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:07   #45
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

I don't have any bolts to fit these protectors which I will get fitted after drivers front spring snapped yesterday and cost £130 labour to get a replacement fitted.

Any suggestions of where and what fixings to get.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:24   #46
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBIE View Post
I don't have any bolts to fit these protectors - - - Any suggestions of where and what fixings to get.
These are what they use with the MGR kit. Maybe Rimmer will supply them?

Notice the upper bolt is cupped.

I can't find anything like them on eBay, though there are plenty of 6mm and 8mm (not 7mm) self-tapping bolts for concrete. They're nothing like the above and don't cut metric threads.

Maybe the spring retainer plates could be threaded by hand to take standard bolts?

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th February 2021 at 16:05..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:35   #47
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBIE View Post
... drivers front spring snapped yesterday ...
Hi Stuart,

That's three of us that have suffered this in a week or two. I suspect that the recent freezing temperatures were a factor. It's nearly always the driver's side that breaks too.

Simon
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:41   #48
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Asked jules and he said to just get m6x20 bolts and nyloc nuts
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:29   #49
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I had tyre protectors fitted, the fittings provided are self threading. In my case the spring broke and the tyre protector caught it but the force stripped the self threading fitting and the protector landed on top of the tyre, still undrivable but caught the spring and saved the tyre ( that was going to be removed 40 mins later )

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:30   #50
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Stuart,

That's three of us that have suffered this in a week or two. I suspect that the recent freezing temperatures were a factor. It's nearly always the driver's side that breaks too.

Simon
Yes its a bummer, had a pair ready to be fitted by Lates but haven't had opportunity to get it done yet.

Will get both front suspension struts overhauled with new springs, shocks and drop links as soon as possible

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote