Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd December 2020, 15:11   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Disgusting behaviour

By the British government,leaving thousands of foreign lorry drivers stuck in their cabs without food or drink. It should not be left to charities and the Sikh community to provide this for them. Fair enough France closed the border but the UK has been aware of the new variant since September and failed to act until it was out of control AGAIN. France is only protecting it's population. It's inhuman to treat people like this. As someone involved with the transport industry I really feel sorry for these drivers who will not spend Xmas with their families,through absolutely no fault of their own. France has ordered testing for the drivers before letting them in, this should not be necessary unless they are actually stopping in France. If they are just driving through then they should be allowed to just pass through.
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:28   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Like most of the rules Richard, they have not been thought through properly.

The very least they should have is a line of communication, it’s awful for them to have to wait without knowing what is going on regardless of the need for food, drink and washing facilities.

On the radio yesterday was a woman complaining about trucks parked in her street blocking access to the shops. Pity she didn’t put the kettle on for the drivers and make them a sandwich.
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:42   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Like most of the rules Richard, they have not been thought through properly.

The very least they should have is a line of communication, it’s awful for them to have to wait without knowing what is going on regardless of the need for food, drink and washing facilities.

On the radio yesterday was a woman complaining about trucks parked in her street blocking access to the shops. Pity she didn’t put the kettle on for the drivers and make them a sandwich.

The Kent council have applied for & been given powers to clamp lorries to enable the council to keep roads in the county clear of illegally parked HGVs in Ashford, Canterbury, Dover, Folkestone and Hythe, Maidstone, Swale and Thanet.
Where the heck are they supposed to go!!!! It's outrageous.

https://www.transport-network.co.uk/...-parking/17027

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:51   #4
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Here we go again, all so very easy with hindsight!

Initial variant found in September but the medical comments were not made until last week.

Nobody could have forseen the abrupt French closure, whatever has happened to the usual protest that "they could have given us more notice" that seems to occur when the rules are changed here?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:01   #5
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Surely the lessons learned from operation stack over the years has sussed it out that drivers need feeding, watering and toilet facilities.

Dad’s army comes to mind
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:05   #6
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Here we go again, all so very easy with hindsight!

Initial variant found in September but the medical comments were not made until last week.

Nobody could have forseen the abrupt French closure, whatever has happened to the usual protest that "they could have given us more notice" that seems to occur when the rules are changed here?
I bet they wish that that announcement was never made in an effort to try and scare the public in UK. It certainly worked around the world despite it being rife around the globe already. Sometimes our boffins should think about the impact of their brothers Grimm stories before going public.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:20   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

With hindsight (again), the job of Operation Stack should have been given to the Road Haulage Association perhaps?

They would have better understood Driver's needs rather than a bunch of office bound Civil Servants!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:28   #8
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Be nice if the RHA were professional and trustworthy to start with, The member that represents my small part of the industry is one of the biggest rule breakers I know....but you are right they would have a better idea of drivers needs. These drivers are going abroad so should have provision for food and a change of clothes but toilet and wash facilities will be sorely needed.

Last edited by GJ53 DGO; 23rd December 2020 at 17:33..
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 18:54   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
Be nice if the RHA were professional and trustworthy to start with, The member that represents my small part of the industry is one of the biggest rule breakers I know....but you are right they would have a better idea of drivers needs. These drivers are going abroad so should have provision for food and a change of clothes but toilet and wash facilities will be sorely needed.

I hope they're not taking Ham or Cheese sandwiches across the channel from next week! https://truckerworld.uk/2020/12/uk-t...d-into-the-eu/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:01   #10
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

At least the French have to keep their disgusting cheeses on their side of our moat!
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote