Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2020, 18:53   #11
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
The HGV should keep a longer distance but often the load dictates the amount. For instance, 38 tonnes of steel piping/bars on the back of a flatbed will, on heavy braking, travel through the cab. One would have to strap the load down correctly.
Kev
Never having done steel I can't say how to load these properly but a load should ALWAYS be secured correctly as you never know if or when you will need to brake harder than usual or take evasive action. I would say something like 50% of steel carriers I've passed on the road have had lose chains. I've even been shocked on occasion that drivers have used straps to restrain steel 'I' beams with no sleaves on them!
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 18:11   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
Or alternatively could be thinking 'as I am on the main road it is my right of way therefor the van pulling out from the side road ought to stay where he is' While there will always be the proverbial 'bad egg' in any industry, I feel that the roads would be a lot safer if upon passing a car test every driver was made to take a lesson in a loaded truck to see the issues we HGV drivers have and hopefully in the majority of cases it would open car drivers eyes to the issues we face daily on the roads.
#

Well if that's what he's thinking then he's not entirely correct. He's overtaking immediately before a junction. There's a vehicle waiting to emerge from the junction and the vehicle in front of him is indicating to turn left and slowing down. What does he think will happen? If he's supposed to be a 'professional' or at least experienced driver there is no way he'd contemplate the risk of overtaking in such a dangerous spot. I'm not sure if that's what you meant when you mention 'bad egg' .
Most car drivers would benefit from both large vehicle driving and motorcycle experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Can I add go onto 2 wheels, both bicycle and motorbike........

Absolutely.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 14:22   #13
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Well if that's what he's thinking then he's not entirely correct. He's overtaking immediately before a junction. There's a vehicle waiting to emerge from the junction and the vehicle in front of him is indicating to turn left and slowing down. What does he think will happen? If he's supposed to be a 'professional' or at least experienced driver there is no way he'd contemplate the risk of overtaking in such a dangerous spot. I'm not sure if that's what you meant when you mention 'bad egg' .
Most car drivers would benefit from both large vehicle driving and motorcycle experience.
I think the HGV drivers mistake was assuming the van driver was competent, it would have been perfectly safe to move around a slowing vehicle if everyone obeyed the rules of the road...ie not pull out in front of another vehicle from a minor road. We also don't know how much warning the OP gave, all to often people use indicators as something to tell other road users they know they are turning NOW and not putting them on early enough to give people chance to ease off, increase gaps and travel smoothly which to any HGV is important for both the vehicle and the fuel consumption! 2 miles to the litre when cruising for mine....when having to accelerate 44tonnes I daren't contemplate.
Old 4th December 2020, 14:39   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

See it so many times, the attitude that "my journey is way more important than anyone else's!".

Saw a beauty once. A bus stopped just beyond the bus stop and next to a traffic island effectively blocking the road, I was 2nd in the queue behind it. Another car stopped behind me but the next car passed everybody, wrong side of the traffic island and away. The car behind him was an unmarked traffic car, pulled him in just along the road. For once the police were there when you wanted them!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 20:45   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
I think the HGV drivers mistake was assuming the van driver was competent, it would have been perfectly safe to move around a slowing vehicle if everyone obeyed the rules of the road...ie not pull out in front of another vehicle from a minor road. We also don't know how much warning the OP gave, all to often people use indicators as something to tell other road users they know they are turning NOW and not putting them on early enough to give people chance to ease off, increase gaps and travel smoothly which to any HGV is important for both the vehicle and the fuel consumption! 2 miles to the litre when cruising for mine....when having to accelerate 44tonnes I daren't contemplate.

So what you're saying is that the HGV was following the vehicle in front too closely. Forcing him into a dangerous overtake because he couldn't stop in time.

There's no rule to say that you can't emerge from a side road if there's traffic approaching, that would be ridiculous - every city centre would be in perma gridlock. If it is safe and clear to do so then it is fine.

Quote:
Highway Code Rule 167: 167
DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

• approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
Rules 170 and 172 cover the van driver's obligations.
(relevant portions only)
Quote:
Quote:
Take extra care at junctions. You should

• not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.

170 is a 'should' rule so not enforceable directly, and would probably only go against a driver contravening in the case of an actual accident when apportioning blame (in court).

172 is a 'Must' If the driver was confident that the approaching vehicle really was turning left at the junction (and it did QED) then he can make a fair judgement as to whether he can clear the junction in time. I.e. turn onto the left side of the road he's turning right onto fully so as not to be blocking the opposing lane. Given rule 172 he has no expectation of the HGV driver moving into that lane to overtake the turning vehicle.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 5th December 2020, 22:58   #16
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Never having done steel I can't say how to load these properly but a load should ALWAYS be secured correctly as you never know if or when you will need to brake harder than usual or take evasive action. I would say something like 50% of steel carriers I've passed on the road have had lose chains. I've even been shocked on occasion that drivers have used straps to restrain steel 'I' beams with no sleaves on them!
Back in the early 70's I had a light haulage job as a student. Rubbish for the hours worked, but my main compensation was getting to drive a Ford Transit V4 pick up truck. One job was to deliver an incinerator door to Porton Down. The boss used old clothes lines to tie it down and I wasn't happy but told to get on with it!. I had to brake heavily when an overtaking car cut me up and the 1 ton steel door tried to join me in the cab. The steering went really heavy for the rest of the journey. A bit later I argued with my boss overloading the truck with around fifty steel gates, again tying off with clothes line. After around ten miles the load toppled out on a ( fortunately deserted ) minor road which got me fired (for being careless.)
Lots of hard lessons learned working for that guy, especially how not to secure a load.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:41   #17
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
So what you're saying is that the HGV was following the vehicle in front too closely. Forcing him into a dangerous overtake because he couldn't stop in time.

There's no rule to say that you can't emerge from a side road if there's traffic approaching, that would be ridiculous - every city centre would be in perma gridlock. If it is safe and clear to do so then it is fine.

Rules 170 and 172 cover the van driver's obligations.
(relevant portions only)

170 is a 'should' rule so not enforceable directly, and would probably only go against a driver contravening in the case of an actual accident when apportioning blame (in court).

172 is a 'Must' If the driver was confident that the approaching vehicle really was turning left at the junction (and it did QED) then he can make a fair judgement as to whether he can clear the junction in time. I.e. turn onto the left side of the road he's turning right onto fully so as not to be blocking the opposing lane. Given rule 172 he has no expectation of the HGV driver moving into that lane to overtake the turning vehicle.

If we all pulled out in front of traffic that is on a main road then of course there would be gridlock as everyone would be embedded in other vehicles, pulling out in front of oncoming vehicles is a moronic thing to do whether they are overtaking or not and whether they are in the right or wrong. Its beggars belief people are actually defending this kind of behaviour. No I did not say the HGV was following to closely, I said it is important to an HGV to keep the vehicle moving as it is costly and time consuming to slow the vehicle and get it moving again in fuel, time and wear and tear on the vehicle, all of which are important to an HGV driver and their company and other road users who are held up behind slow HGVs. As for rule 172 if we are going by the rule book (how many motorists have read it recently let alone be able to quote it!) says give way to traffic on the main road...it doesn't specify which direction that traffic needs to be coming from and in which lane. it says "GIVE WAY to traffic on the main road" and not "give way to traffic on the main road unless it is overtaking a slower vehicle in which case pull out in front of it and potentially cause a huge pile up with many fiery deaths"
Old 28th December 2020, 01:32   #18
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Overtaking at junctions where other traffic is present is wrong and downright dangerous in any situation. There are no if's or but's about it. safe driving trumps any economic need or pressure to be on time.

Quote:
I said it is important to an HGV to keep the vehicle moving as it is costly and time consuming to slow the vehicle and get it moving again in fuel, time and wear and tear on the vehicle, all of which are important to an HGV driver and their company and other road users who are held up behind slow HGVs.
Absolute rubbish. Economics of the HGV don't supercede either the rules of the road or safety of others. Where would that stop: His journey is no more important than mine or yours or anyone elses.
The highway code doesn't require drivers to be clairvoyant and expect such dangerous maneouvres from so called professionals. Like I said, the driver of the HGV was either too close and forced to swing out for an overtake due to his own bad judgement, or putting his own schedule above safe driving. It's ludicrous to claim anything else. Another HGV in a hurry to arrive 30 seconds earlier at his destination.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 28th December 2020, 01:50   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I've ridden and driven many different types of vehicle over the years, and reading the road is one of the most important things you can do irrespective of the size of vehicle being driven.

There are two people at fault here, the van driver for pulling out from the side road, and the driver of the heavy for overtaking the vehicle turning left, both drivers displaying impatience and lack of regard for their fellow road users.

It is always better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world, than five minute early in the next.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 09:33   #20
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Not on time....!!!!! Could you imagine not been on time. Th customer would implode having to wait till there "MUST HAVE IT YESTERDAY" shinney shinney arrived... They'd give you th sack. Or something worse ... Like a demotion to..... "TH OLD TRUCK"