Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd November 2018, 08:44   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
It is scary to hear how some people check their tyre pressures every 3 months. You have to wonder, what else are they not doing? Would there be diesel drivers where performance is everything and they are doing these checks more often because of the wellie

If one looks at MOT histories of cars, I would say the other thing most people do not check is that their lights are working.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 09:25   #32
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I agree that it's valid in that it complies with the way the official data is presented. However I much prefer to know that both my wheels are angled equally.
Any good tracking depot will aim for a balanced left-right toe setting after locking the steering wheel in the correct position. The difference between individal wheel specs and an axle spec doesn't affect the result because the toe settings are measured relative to the thrust line.

EDIT: Here's my drawing again so people understand what I mean.
These rear wheels are equally set relative to the thust line but unequally set relative to the car's axis. Obviously the numbers are exaggerated for demonstration.
The Thrust line ideally corresponds with the car's axis (centre line).

Quote:
I have done it with my Hunter print-out. It is the same as you found; the range for toe, both front and rear, does not correspond with MGR's figures whereas all the others do (unless we're missing something mathematical).
I suspect statistically people will get the right result whatever specs are used because most FWD cars have similar requirements for toe. However, I've no doubt in my mind that it's possible to set a car within the (say) Hunter spec, but outside the MGR spec.

Quote:
Incidentally there was a revision for front camber (Tech. Bulletin 0061 dated 22.02.02) from minus 0.33 degrees to minus 0.50 degrees (the tolerance remaining unchanged).
I'll check that out and amend the diagram I use as appropriate. Clearly an example of a specification that was set too tight for an imprecise system like road car suspension (imprecise to minutes of arc anyway). It also exemplifies how a car could be in spec one day and out the next. There's also operator error to be built into all this. A few tracking 'techs' have not given me the best impression.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd November 2018 at 10:30..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 09:38   #33
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
- - - can I interpret from your comments that the readings that are indicated are broadly OK in your opinion or not so much?

As the guy told you, the adjustable settings (toe) were set correctly and any parameter that moves out of spec (like camber) must be accepted as a minor colateral effect. A few minutes of arc 'out of spec' is unlikely to have any practical effect on driveability or tyre wear. If the colateral effect is due to worn joints/bushes then I'd expect the tracking depot to spot that anyway. They don't (shouldn't) attempt to track a suspension without at least checking the parts for slop/play. It's impossible to track a system that's worn out.

Quote:
- - - one would have thought that the machine database settings would automatically correspond to the MG requirements.
Indeed and that's the point of my comments. My observations suggest they're not always the same, but most cars will come out fine. The odd ones will be returned as 'not feeling right'. Unlikely, but it's not that uncommon.

TC
Old 3rd November 2018, 14:48   #34
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
It is scary to hear how some people check their tyre pressures every 3 months. You have to wonder, what else are they not doing? Would there be diesel drivers where performance is everything and they are doing these checks more often because of the wellie

I think there are lots of drivers who assume an annual service and/or MOT is all a car needs, apart from fuel of course.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 16:01   #35
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
If one looks at MOT histories of cars, I would say the other thing most people do not check is that their lights are working.
I drive my car on the motorway and a variety of roads most days. I visually check my tyres every week or so. If it's handling characteristics change or it starts to pull, I'll check the pressures. The fronts are 6 months (8,000 miles old), the rears half that. The only time I have actually put a gauge on them is when they were first fitted, to correct the fitter's over-inflation. This car's alloys are the best I've had on any car for not leaking; even it's badly, and unevenly worn predecessors never leaked. As for lights, mine needed a new headlight bulb, and one of the number plate bulbs, which I told the tester about, I just ran out of time before the appointment, fixing a handbrake I thought only needed adjustment. Strangely, the headlight bulb did not show as a warning light on the dash, although a non-functioning rear light did, just the week before. Now the dark evenings are here, you really notice all the duff lights driving around. Police are gonna have a field day!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:13   #36
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Has anyone a chart showing the standard R75 toe in settings please ??

Front and rear.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:20   #37
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I check mine quite often by kicking them. --Less often by gauge.
Never seem to vary much at all.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:03   #38
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Has anyone a chart showing the standard R75 toe in settings please ??

Front and rear.--
I just found this on my collection of manuals and how-to's which is not in line, really, with the RAVE about Toe settings.
This should be one of the last TB concerning R 75 wheel geometry.
Cheers,
Canio
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MG_rover wheel Geometry.pdf (284.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:12   #39
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Has anyone a chart showing the standard R75 toe in settings please? Front and rear.--

This is the TB0061 update, which replaces the table I've previously posted from the 2004 Handbook.

TC
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:42   #40
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Thanks Vilas - that makes much more sense than the figures given previously. Although the front/rear total toes are the same the +/- figure coming down to 0.1 from 0.25 makes much more sense. With the previous figures the fronts could toe out and still be in spec. Now it's clear that both front and rears must toe-in.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote