Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2018, 16:24   #121
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

So we're doing character witnesses now? Jesus ducking christ
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 16:34   #122
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

I'm glad I bought a diesel
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 16:37   #123
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Well Brian, I'm not surprised to read this because it's the only exit you have. It's obvious to most of us that an air filter and a sparking plug cannot possibly deteriorate simply due to the passage of time. Therefore MGR's motive for specifying replacement on this basis has to be commercial. After all, it's what keeps not only the car industry but our entire economic system going. Timing belts are no exception.

Brian; you have repeatedly asked my profession. This makes no difference to the validity of my argument. After claiming to be an "engineer", you should be able to deal with a simple principle such as mine without having to resort to childish and disrespectful tactics. The fact that you are unable to do this speaks volumes. I know many excellent engineers, and your behaviour on this forum resembles a cross between a school bully and a salesman who has turned into a "keyboard warrior". I hope that one day you will be able to adopt a more mature and tolerant attitude towards others.

Simon

Simon, an air filter will degrade due to the passage of time, they contain a large amount of polyurethane which due to hydrolysis (amongst others) causes the polymer to harden and lose its properties.

Coupled with temperature variation, this will degrade the filter even if it appears to be perfectly ok to the eye.
Old 13th June 2018, 16:51   #124
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Well Brian, I'm not surprised to read this because it's the only exit you have. It's obvious to most of us that an air filter and a sparking plug cannot possibly deteriorate simply due to the passage of time. Therefore MGR's motive for specifying replacement on this basis has to be commercial. After all, it's what keeps not only the car industry but our entire economic system going. Timing belts are no exception.

Brian; you have repeatedly asked my profession. This makes no difference to the validity of my argument. After claiming to be an "engineer", you should be able to deal with a simple principle such as mine without having to resort to childish and disrespectful tactics. The fact that you are unable to do this speaks volumes. I know many excellent engineers, and your behaviour on this forum resembles a cross between a school bully and a salesman who has turned into a "keyboard warrior". I hope that one day you will be able to adopt a more mature and tolerant attitude towards others.

Simon
Simon, you are the most irritating person I've ever had the misfortune of crossing words with.

Sparking plug? for heavens sake man are you running Golden Lodge in your car? they are spark plugs and yes they do deteriorate without the engine being run.

You will find that atmospheric humidity find find it's way past open valves, via both the inlet and exhaust and cause corrosive deposits, the "metal tomb" which is not a hermetically sealed chamber, hence why I asked about the car being garaged or not.

Similarly the air cleaner is not in a hermetically sealed chamber either, but these have no bearing whatsoever on the timing belt, and they will not cause a car to be scrapped when they fail.

You strike me as a person with little idea of how hostile an environment an engine actually is, and I suspect you've never gone further than playing with the outer components.

As I say I have no problem whatsoever with the way you choose to look after your car or not as the case may be, but you now claim to be the complete expert in the field because you've muddled your way through a job that takes a competent person no more than a few hours to complete to a satisfactory standard, over many weeks.

Now at every possible opportunity you are dispensing without any idea of the condition of any other persons car, a stalwart promise that their car will be perfectly safe to be used with aging components that you have no idea of their condition.

There is a colloquialism for people such as your self, it is a dilutey an example of this is someone who fits a new fuse to a 13 amp plug, then claims to be an electrician.

I wish I had your supreme confidence in knowing everything there is to know about everything, but I don't, and I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone that they should heed my advice based upon one case study of an old banger, versus the research and development made by the designer and manufacturer of the engine.

As to being a salesman, how about this for a sales pitch, a local member came to me for a bit of advice about his V6 tourer, and was asking if I could replace his belts for him.

I told him just to run it until it goes bang, because the car had been messed around with various bodges, and to be fair although I could have quite happily done the work and charged accordingly, why bother, it was a £500 car, run it until it's broken and buy another was my advice.

I take great exception though to your belittling of the fact that I carried out a five year indentured engineering apprenticeship, along with four years of technical college.

Not only do I know what I'm talking about, I possess the skill and acumen to actually carry out all of the jobs I discuss at length on this forum and beyond.

You claim to be attempting to help fellow members achieve "best value", well I actually do that, I don't just talk the talk, I can walk the walk.

So you can stick that in your pompous pipe and smoke it !!
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 16:54   #125
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I met Simon at a local meet and we became involved in a lengthy and in depth discussion about everything over a few drinks in the pub. In fact we forgot to have lunch as the conversation was stimulating and exciting He showed me how to check the dipstick on the V6. Anyone who meets him will say what an okay guy he really is, quite different from how he is portrayed on the boards.

Changing a belt. Oh my, oh my .....

I will leave it to the experts. I found the banter here between Brian and Simon quite stimulating
Phil - As one of the silent majority on this thread, I concur wholeheartedly with your comments about Simon and have always enjoyed exchanges with him even when we disagreed. A true gent in my view. Ditto Marinabrian. It is their collective depth of experience and analytical capability that is most stimulating.

This particular exchange is no exception.

What I do find laughable is that some who never usually comment on anything car related on the forum seem to have jumped at the opportunity to add their bit. It must be the attraction of topics beginning with B. Not aimed at anyone in particular, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Simon, you are the most irritating person I've ever had the misfortune of crossing words with.
wot - not me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine Mark View Post
I'm glad I bought a diesel

Start a thread to the effect and we may convince you otherwise!

Last edited by MSS; 13th June 2018 at 17:05..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 17:00   #126
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Simon, an air filter will degrade due to the passage of time, they contain a large amount of polyurethane which due to hydrolysis (amongst others) causes the polymer to harden and lose its properties.

Coupled with temperature variation, this will degrade the filter even if it appears to be perfectly ok to the eye.
What do you know about long chain polymers and the effects of hydrolysis?, and what does that have to do with my thirty year old Champion L10 sparking plugs that are not allowing my 1172 sidevalve to start?

How dare you challenge the all knowing all seeing sage of north west London, now get back into your box before I have you up in front of the committee
Old 13th June 2018, 17:07   #127
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
back into your box before I have you up in front of the committee

He won't go back in there, box cafe run out of desserts and not enough Hob Nob crumbs left in there to sustain him.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 17:15   #128
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
He won't go back in there, box cafe run out of desserts and not enough Hob Nob crumbs left in there to sustain him.
Ran out of thanks, but splendid........how well you know Andy

Brian
Old 13th June 2018, 17:16   #129
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
What do you know about long chain polymers and the effects of hydrolysis?, and what does that have to do with my thirty year old Champion L10 sparking plugs that are not allowing my 1172 sidevalve to start?

How dare you challenge the all knowing all seeing sage of north west London, now get back into your box before I have you up in front of the committee

Your sidevalve will be fine as long as the Bakelite distributor cap holds out 🤟
Old 13th June 2018, 17:17   #130
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Ran out of thanks, but splendid........how well you know Andy

Brian

My reputation is far and wide (just like my belly with all this cake retention)