Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2017, 17:47   #21
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
BTW,do you remember what make is your slave ?
It was fitted by a rover garage. I am assuming LUK. I'll have to check receipts to confirm.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 10:49   #22
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

Been to 2 independent clutch garages today. Both have said the noise is caused by the flywheel and a full clutch kit would have to be fitted. The master cylinder will be left as is.
Getting quotes later today.
Old 8th February 2017, 11:45   #23
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Been to 2 independent clutch garages today. Both have said the noise is caused by the flywheel and a full clutch kit would have to be fitted. The master cylinder will be left as is.
Getting quotes later today.
Sorry to cast doubt on the opinions you have been given, but it is quite rare for the flywheel to need changing. A whirring noise really does suggest a release bearing/slave issue. Flywheel issue is more likely to give judder/knocking. Unfortunately, some garages will not change a clutch without selling you an expensive flywheel at the same time. When getting quotes, you should specify that only good quality clutch kits (B&B or LUK) are used - they should check the tolerances of the flywheel and only change it if it is outside the accepted tolerance (more than 25mm play between the two masses).

Keep us informed

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:49   #24
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Sorry to cast doubt on the opinions you have been given, but it is quite rare for the flywheel to need changing. A whirring noise really does suggest a release bearing/slave issue. Flywheel issue is more likely to give judder/knocking. Unfortunately, some garages will not change a clutch without selling you an expensive flywheel at the same time. When getting quotes, you should specify that only good quality clutch kits (B&B or LUK) are used - they should check the tolerances of the flywheel and only change it if it is outside the accepted tolerance (more than 25mm play between the two masses).

Keep us informed

Cheers

Pete
Thanks pete, just got one quote in, 880 euros full clutch kit including flywheel and slave cylinder. LUK brand.
Old 8th February 2017, 11:57   #25
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Thanks pete, just got one quote in, 880 euros full clutch kit including flywheel and slave cylinder. LUK brand.
That's about 800 pounds, but almost 300 pounds of that is for the flywheel. I would expect a clutch change to cost 400-500 pounds (slave and LUK/B&B clutch kit without flywheel) based on what forum traders tend to quote - many garages have higher labour charges of course.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 19:22   #26
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

My money is still on the release bearing as I would expect a failing DMF to make noises etc (rattling/ vibration) even without the clutch being depressed.
You're getting the whirring sound because you're applying pressure to a failing release bearing (I use the word bearing lightly as it's not strictly a bearing as such).
As I said, my ZT-T was doing exactly the same thing.
I wonder if the garages are just being very cautious & trying to cover themselves?
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 20:27   #27
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
My money is still on the release bearing as I would expect a failing DMF to make noises etc (rattling/ vibration) even without the clutch being depressed.
You're getting the whirring sound because you're applying pressure to a failing release bearing (I use the word bearing lightly as it's not strictly a bearing as such).
As I said, my ZT-T was doing exactly the same thing.
I wonder if the garages are just being very cautious & trying to cover themselves?
I somewhat agree but I got 135k out of the original clutch, only 66k(at the mo) out of the replacement. Could a worn flywheel have decreased the lifespan of the 2nd clutch kit?
Its the labour that is the killer with this job, I can barely think about replacing it for a 2nd time never mind a 3rd.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:20   #28
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I wonder what make of clutch was fitted when you had it replaced 66,000mls ago?
You certainly did well on the original clutch.
It would make perfect sence to replace the three parts of the clutch when the gearbox is removed & the DMF can be checked for tolerance when the clutch is removed.
The clutch should be checked at the very least.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 22:42   #29
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Peelaa (Ian), I fear, as I experienced, impending failure of the slave.

My experience is HERE

However, It is rarely required to change the DMF, unless it is measured out of spec.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 10:30   #30
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
I wonder what make of clutch was fitted when you had it replaced 66,000mls ago?
You certainly did well on the original clutch.
It would make perfect sence to replace the three parts of the clutch when the gearbox is removed & the DMF can be checked for tolerance when the clutch is removed.
The clutch should be checked at the very least.
Not sure , it was fitted at a rover garage using original parts. I am assuming LUK.