Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2012, 12:45   #1
caerfryn

Rover 75 Saloon

Default rear numberplate lights

Hi all

Can anyone help with this please:
I have a failed bulb warning (intermitent) showing on dash - I have traced this to the rear number plate lights.

This fault can last for hours or days and will then 'repair' itself only to reappear some time later.
The bulbs are OK - are there any suspect areas for this problem? - has any one else suffered this? - Is there a quick Fix?

Thanks in anticipation !

K
caerfryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 12:55   #2
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

I'm sure someone will be along with a more detailed fix in a bit but If i remember correctly it has something to do with the can bus corroding
I have the same problem and intend to replace the bulbs with LED's which have a built in can bus so does away with the problem.

Ill find the link to the bulbs and post back

Here is the link to ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3308046497...84.m1438.l2649

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 13:47   #3
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

This is usually caused by the actual fitting itself being faulty. They all corrode where they connect onto the copper retainers for the Bulbs. This is sometimes caused by 10watt bulbs being fitted instead of 5watt. (Burning out the connections).

They are repairable but easiest is to replace the unit that sits behind the Chrome Handle. It's actually stuck to the car body with strong double sided tape!

Last edited by MangoMan; 7th December 2012 at 13:56..
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 14:02   #4
EssexAndy

MGZT-T & MG ZT260

Default Failed light bulb

Had the same problem in my ZT. Ditto MangoMans comments. You will probably need to replace the whole unit. It has a small printed circuit board inside plus various connections etc. which are vunerable to corrosion. In my case when the old unit was taken out the bulb worked fine so the problem was in the unit itself.

I replaced mine with a new unit from Lakeland Mini Centre who I find are always helpfull but 'other suppliers are available'

Also be aware that, from memory, the part numbers vary depending on whether or not a rear spoiler has been fitted which it was on the ZT but most likely is not on a 75.
EssexAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 16:58   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Had exactly the same fault on mine, but caused by a break in the earth return cable within the rubber gaitor between boot lid and body, so do check with a meter before you go ripping anything apart.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 21:13   #6
Exile_Brummie
Member No. 705

MG ZT 190+ & Supercharged ZT 260 SE

I had the same problem on my 190. I asked Austin Garages to repair it when it was in for a service a couple of weeks ago. Nick fitted a brand new MG7 one, and it's now perfect. In fact the manufacturer of the new MG7 units have addressed two issues which led to the problems on the former unit. There are now very small drain holes to prevent a build up of condensation. They've also fixed the corrosion problem - can't remember what exactly.

TC

Supercharged MG ZT 260 SE Trophy Blue
Reg 11 May 04 VIN 077

MG ZT 190+ Trophy Blue
Reg 08 Jan 03 VIN 270154
Exile_Brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 14:19   #7
caerfryn

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks to all - very helpful info

regards

K