Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th December 2007, 17:57   #1
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 Club (2002)

Default Self-Levelling... How to tell?

Hi all,

First, a quick hi to you all, because I am new here. I inherited my dad's pride and joy a few days ago, because sadly he passed away due to cancer last month. It's a small comfort to have his great car (but of course, I'd much rather have him back instead!).

Consequently, I'm quite 'green' when it comes to owning a Rover, and although I have been scouring the internet for the last few days almost solidly (and have learned much from you here and in another forum, for which I am very grateful), there are still a few things I'm not sure about.

F'rinstance... how can I tell whether dad's/my Rover 75 Tourer has self-levelling suspension? My mum reckons it has, but tbh, I'm not sure whether she's fully in the know (no disrespect, but you know what I mean, eh? ).

Is there a plate or something, or a giveaway item that I can see (without dismantling the car) that'll tell me?

Thanks in advance (and thanks again for all the useful info I've already picked up here... my initial worries about having a Rover have been somewhat allayed already!)

Regards
Neil
BigJacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:44   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Lightbulb

1. Measure the height of the rear of the car from the ground using a convenient point.

2. Put something very heavy in rear of car

3. measure same point again - if it is around the same measure then you have self-levelling suspension.

hth

Mike
Old 10th December 2007, 18:51   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

I have it on my tourer as I specified it when it was being built but how to tell apart what Mike has just said I just dont know
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:53   #4
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

PS So sorry to hear about your dad but he has left you with a fine motor car
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 19:07   #5
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Thanks guys - I will try that out when I can get it onto a flat area sometime (our road is a bit uneven and drops off noticeably towards the kerb). What to use for a heavy object? Hmm.... I'd better not ask the wife to lay down in the back, or I might end up joining my dad!

Ta for the kind words, by the way... I sincerely hope I can keep this car in the manner to which it's become accustomed when it lived with dad. It's a 52-plate, and only 26k on the clock, and nought but a slight ding in the rear bumper. Everything else seems perfect! Fingers crossed!
Old 10th December 2007, 19:20   #6
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Welcome to a brilliant forum BigJacko, you have certainly inherited a fine vehicle although not in the way that you would have chosen, I dont have self levelling suspension on my car but had wondered how you can tell, well now I know, simple really, enjoy this forum, you will in due course make some wonderful friends.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:27   #7
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Thanks Raggity, I'm sure I will... I'm already feeling like this is perhaps the only place on earth where I could say: "I went outside just to sit in the car for ten minutes*" and not feel like a total sad-act! I'm sure you chaps are well-used to your steeds by now... but me, I'm just getting used to it. After a 93-model Astra for the last few years (the wife's, not mine), the Rover is a 'step-up', and no mistake!

(*ok, to be fair, I did also go out cos I had to put another parking permit on it, and to see whether I had a CHMSL... which it turns out, I do! But, I still had to sit in it, start the V6 and go "ahhhhh" in a highly satisfied way, all the same! )
Old 10th December 2007, 19:29   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJacko View Post
Thanks Raggity, I'm sure I will... I'm already feeling like this is perhaps the only place on earth where I could say: "I went outside just to sit in the car for ten minutes*" and not feel like a total sad-act! I'm sure you chaps are well-used to your steeds by now... but me, I'm just getting used to it. After a 93-model Astra for the last few years (the wife's, not mine), the Rover is a 'step-up', and no mistake!

(*ok, to be fair, I did also go out cos I had to put another parking permit on it, and to see whether I had a CHMSL... which it turns out, I do! But, I still had to sit in it, start the V6 and go "ahhhhh" in a highly satisfied way, all the same! )
Welcome to the club.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:06   #9
EXMSRalph
Gets stuck in

ZS180, MGF, Rover 400, MG Montego

There will be a label on the fuel tank access plate under the rear seat that gives the spring type code. The self levelling springs are code RH (blue/brown).
EXMSRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 21:39   #10
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Default Self Leveller 48mm Vs Std Damper 42mm OD

Quicker check is to look in behind the rear wheel, and note where the damper mounts onto the bottom of the wishbone pan, At the point just above the mounting bolt, the diameter of a Rover fitted Nivomat self levelller is 48mm OD. The standard Rover fitted damper body is 42mm OD.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote