Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2006, 18:16   #1
Cheshire Cat

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Petrol drip - Intermittent!!

As posted on a previous thread I had my fuel pump fixed by the AA a few days back when the car refused to start. All sorted I thought. But yesterday after a long run through some very hilly Welsh roads I filled the petrol tank and shortly afterwards parked the car up .. on a slight incline - nose forward. Returning a couple of hours later the was a trickle of petrol coming out from under the car! I moved it forward a few feet and could clearly see a small amount of fuel running along the underside of the tank.

Took the car for a short run - (I had to get home) - and then left it parked, this time on the flat. No drip .. and this morning again nothing ..?

Is there a known issue with petrol seeping out when the tanks are very full, or could it be related to trapped fuel somehow stuck in a cranny from the earlier pump repair? Or could it be the pump not sealed up properly.

(Sorry that was so long)

CC
Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 20:24   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Petrol expands quite a lot when it's warm. It is possible that it has exited the vent at the top of the tank.
Keep a close eye on it, it is not a normal occurrence and I would not expect it to happen at this time of year. In summer the fuel in underground storage is at a much lower temperature than in your tank so some expansion is inevitable after transfer.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote