Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th November 2006, 16:26   #1
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Default bonnet/bumper shutline adjustment

has anyone got any actual measurements for what is desirable/achieveable? I have only started looking at the shutline now I've put the bumper back on, and it now looks too large although I read the How to - very good - and adjusted according to the notes there.
I did wonder how one is able to move the bumper UP... the bolts along the top edge dont seem to account for this.
Are some people using spacers underneath the plastic panel and if so, what spec?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 16:39   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
has anyone got any actual measurements for what is desirable/achieveable? I have only started looking at the shutline now I've put the bumper back on, and it now looks too large although I read the How to - very good - and adjusted according to the notes there.
I did wonder how one is able to move the bumper UP... the bolts along the top edge dont seem to account for this.
Are some people using spacers underneath the plastic panel and if so, what spec?
Spacers are in my case galvanised washers. Can't remember exactly, I think it was five on the two centre fixings down to two on the outers.
There aren't any measurments as such, I think as much as you can get out of it is the best you can hope for.
I had someone insert washers while I lifted the bumper, took a few goes before I was satisfied.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 16:45   #3
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Silly point Grey Ghost, but is there any benefit to using non-metal washers to try and stave of local rusting at these point?? I need to adjust teh shutline on mine and am thinking that what you describe above is the only way for me as I have no more play using the existing "settings".

Cheers

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 16:51   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Silly point Grey Ghost, but is there any benefit to using non-metal washers to try and stave of local rusting at these point?? I need to adjust teh shutline on mine and am thinking that what you describe above is the only way for me as I have no more play using the existing "settings".

Cheers
I have to admit that galvanised washers were used because that is what was to hand. Thinking about it now it was not the best choice.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 20:39   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Jon most of the adjustment should be done by the bolts holding the alloy cross member that the slam panel bolts on to if fitted correctly washers should not be necessary imho
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 13:45   #6
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

ahhh... very interesting. An alternative school!
So, do I surmise from this that, iyho, the alloy cross member should just be pulled as high as it can go before being tightened... and that it, with gravity, can slip a bit over time causing people to find other avenues to solve this problem?
Surely the cross member couldnt be, by default, suggested as a trimming device as it is a stage further back in the process! If so it would seem frightfully inefficient...taking bumper on and off and resetting the member?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 13:58   #7
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Jon most of the adjustment should be done by the bolts holding the alloy cross member that the slam panel bolts on to if fitted correctly washers should not be necessary imho
Can you expand on "alloy cross-member" please? where/what does that look like??

Cheers

in banana veritas
Old 13th November 2006, 14:21   #8
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

This thing

The slam panel the bumper bolts to is sandwiched behind it so I reckon (I could be totally wrong) that if the slam panel was fitted at the right height in the first place (assuming there is some flexibility there) then washers will not be required or at at least fewer of them
Old 13th November 2006, 14:24   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Jon chances are early in the production procees either tollerances were tighter or maybe a few trial fits adjusting in between was performed to get the shut line as good as poss during assembly

Maybe later the lob it on approach was adopted to save time and money?

The ideal way to get a good fit imho is to buy a bumper from the Breakers then cut the front and bottom off so the crossmember bolt can be reached then you can adjust to your hearts content

Last edited by Keith; 13th November 2006 at 14:26..
Old 13th November 2006, 14:27   #10
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Thanks Keith. But is that monster adjustable? I assumed not - which means it is an academic argument! yes?!

in banana veritas