Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2018, 19:42   #261
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I think if that were true we'd see more evidence of it now.

I think the countries you've mentioned have problems in their economies that are long standing and have been the issue of many of the governments. They are copping it in the neck for this, but the EU I don't see any great sway in opinion like here in the UK.

Italy is an interesting one, the anti establishment parties have rowed back on various promises.
Like I said early there's flashes here and there but it's not like here. The UK has had issues since the beginning, other places are more (not to repeat myself but) they see the EU as bystander rather something to be gotten rid of.
Well the 2017 “Parlemeter Survey” across all 28 member states tells a differing story. As you may expect the majority of those interviewed in Italy Greece and Cyprus felt that the EU had done little for their country.

But what was more interesting is where less than 60% felt the EU was beneficial.

France came in at 58%

At the same time - the U.K. came in at 55%

Italy came in at 39%

And I personally do not find it surprising that those countries that found great benefit in EU membership - are those self same countries that are net RECIEVERS of EU funds.

I mean - really..... - just how spooky is that?

Now this was a survey - not a census. But think on a Referendum in Italy if we in the U.K. voted OUT with a survey result of 55% thinking the EU was beneficial - whereas in Italy the figure was only 39%.........

Last edited by Darcydog; 27th March 2018 at 19:49..
Old 27th March 2018, 19:43   #262
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
I know what will happen. The uncivil will be cast out into the wilderness and rightly so, leaving the thread to continue with healthy exchanges devoid of any lack of civility.
On the other hand once the soapbox has been kicked away we could just start talking about cars again.

That's my favoured option
Old 27th March 2018, 19:48   #263
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Just bringing this discussion back to the Start -

'Trade deal after Brexit

Ok, l will start:

Country/Trading Block: USA
Population: 325 Million
Trade Deal Relevance: Very High
Prospects of good trade deal: Low
Reason: America First Attitude

Country/Trading Block: EU
Population: 500 Million
Reason: We decided to leave, and now have to pay to get a worse deal
Old 27th March 2018, 19:52   #264
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Well the 2017 “Parlemeter Survey” across all 28 member states tells a differing story. As you may expect the majority of those interviewed in Italy Greece and Cyprus felt that the EU had done little for their country.

But what was more interesting is where less than 60% felt the EU was beneficial.

France came in at 58%

At the same time - the U.K. came in at 55%

And I personally do not find it surprising that those countries that found great benefit in EU membership - are those self same countries that are net RECIEVERS of EU funds.

I mean - really..... - just how spooky is that?
Like I've said early on, they are more seen as a bystander. That survey is quite selectively worded, not so much as in a conspiracy way but in a non positive way.

When I say evidence I'm talking of serious, sustained and widespread appetite to leave the EU across the 4 countries you mentioned. It's reasonable, i think, to say it's not there.

Now perhaps you think that's not right and there should be and i get that. But their history and attitudes are very different to here.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 27th March 2018, 19:55   #265
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have stayed out of the this debate on the basis of "why bother".

But, I have to say that we remainers (I believe that is the correct spelling ) lack something which the few strong Brexiteers on this forum possess - mutual support and gratification. Some seem to be so close with their constant offers of mutual support and congratulations that it would require a man-size crowbar to try separate them, and the crowbar would be defeated.

MODS - my apologies in advance and self-slapping of wrist duly administered.
Old 27th March 2018, 20:06   #266
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Just bringing this discussion back to the Start -

'Trade deal after Brexit

Ok, l will start:

Country/Trading Block: USA
Population: 325 Million
Reason: America First Attitude

Country/Trading Block: EU
Population: 500 Million
Reason: We decided to leave, and now have to pay to get a worse deal

My word - TWO trading partners listed.

As many as that!

My word we will be spoilt for choice.....

Or maybe - just maybe - we could have a reality injection and look at a list of our existing trading partners both within and outside the EU and have a reasonable discussion on how existing trade can be maintained (we are after all the 5th largest economy in the world - so who exactly will suffer or benefit from making things difficult ?) and many EU nations sell more to us than we buy from them and new trade deals outside of the EU have not been possible whilst the U.K. has been an EU member.
Old 27th March 2018, 20:07   #267
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

But, I have to say that we remainers (I believe that is the correct spelling ) lack something which the few strong Brexiteers on this forum possess - mutual support and gratification. Some seem to be so close with their constant offers of mutual support and congratulations that it would require a man-size crowbar to try separate them, and the crowbar would be defeated.

I'd offer to help whip us into some kind of sensible frenzy but......I don't think it would suit either of us.

Someone kick the stool eh
Old 27th March 2018, 20:17   #268
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

Personally I think it sad that rather than engage in the debate - looking at the data presented - or being respectful of others differing views - yet again we see you and others being rude in a juvenile way by citing those with opposing views to you having

“ constant offers of mutual support “

Requiring a “ man sized crowbar to try separate them - and that crowbar would be defeated “

Sad
Old 27th March 2018, 20:21   #269
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Personally I think it sad that rather than engage in the debate - looking at the data presented - or being respectful of others differing views - yet again we see you and others being rude in a juvenile way by citing those with opposing views to you having

“ constant offers of mutual support “

Requiring a “ man sized crowbar to try separate them - and that crowbar would be defeated “

Sad
OK, if you like from what I've seen it's your way or no way. I have seen no attempt from you to actually discuss anything other than views you share with people who share exactly the same point of view as you. Anyone who disagrees is wrong/miserable/etc etc.

Last edited by mystabe; 27th March 2018 at 20:37..
Old 27th March 2018, 20:38   #270
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
My word - TWO trading partners listed.

As many as that!

My word we will be spoilt for choice.....

Or maybe - just maybe - we could have a reality injection and look at a list of our existing trading partners both within and outside the EU and have a reasonable discussion on how existing trade can be maintained (we are after all the 5th largest economy in the world - so who exactly will suffer or benefit from making things difficult ?) and many EU nations sell more to us than we buy from them and new trade deals outside of the EU have not been possible whilst the U.K. has been an EU member.

I know only 2, but that's over 800 million people.

Ok,here's another one

Country/Trading Block: China
Population: 1,415,045,928 (only around 1/4 to 1/5 of worlds population!)
Reason: High import tariffs

But no doubt Liam Fox (International Trade Secretary) is working very hard with say, Cuba, Cayman Islands and maybe Taiwan To make up for any poor deals elsewhere - he must have tons of Air Miles already!
Closed Thread