Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2006, 17:39   #1
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

Default CDTi boost problem

Just started to get a 'whooshing' noise from my CDTi when driving and the revs climb over 2.5/3k any ideas where this possible leak could be coming from
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 18:09   #2
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall View Post
Just started to get a 'whooshing' noise from my CDTi when driving and the revs climb over 2.5/3k any ideas where this possible leak could be coming from
Hi
check all the intercooler hoses (connections), a leak here can be given away by an oil staining. Also check the air cleaner box, ensuring the lid is on correctly and fixings are tight. It is very easy to get the lid on incorrectly, which will cause an air leak. Also, during development, we used to get this type of problem from the plastic outlet elbow on the end of the intercooler. Not sure how it entered production, but during development it was secured by a bolt and sealed by an o-ring. Sometimes the fixing came loose, releasing the clamp load on the o-ring, and leading to an air leak.
Also check the exhaust manifold to head joint, and the downpipe and the exhaust flexi.
Also, if the inlet manifold has been off, sometimes the gaskets drop off on refit. Each inlet manifold tract has (had) an individual gasket, and there should be a telltale poking out from the joint to show it is fitted. It is also possible that one of these has failed. You could check this with a little soapy water, but be careful not to use too much!
Unfortunately there is loads of stuff that could cause your symptoms, but I hope this helps a little bit.
Andy
M47Rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 18:38   #3
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

I found a loose jubilee clip on the boost pipe that comes off the turbo, this cured the problem for a short while but on the way home up the M11 this evening i lost all boost pressure again.My baby is now at the local dealer awaiting to be looked at tomorrow .
Old 15th November 2006, 03:18   #4
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Jubilee Clips

Quote:
I found a loose jubilee clip on the boost pipe that comes off the turbo, this cured the problem for a short while but on the way home up the M11 this evening i lost all boost pressure again.My baby is now at the local dealer awaiting to be looked at tomorrow .
It's not the first instance of a loose clip and seems to be quite common also on cooler hoses. Either they were not tightened sufficiently on assembly, or, they loosen over time, probably from compression of the rubber. Assume they will find another loose clip or a split pipe. Please let us know.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 12:53   #5
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Quote:
Let us know what they find. The rubber hoses tend to be prone to coming off as they become impregnated with oil from the breather system, and as the torque on the clips gradually reduces. We aslo introduced a different type of clip, to the standard jubilee type (name of which I can not remember!) which is supposed to reduce the torque relaxation. They were only partially successful, as your experience shows!
Andy
M47Rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 18:05   #6
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

The garage found another loose clip on the rubber boost pipe and also reset the fault codes, will pick it up tomorrow and see how long the clips stay on this time.