Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd May 2007, 20:12   #1
smoothound63

ZT 190+ 2003

Default M G Zt 190+ 2004 V I S

Hi all i have read many post concering the v i s on the kv6 intake manifold and wanted to know if you can not repair the two units with motors and pcb s can they be purchased on their own or do you have to get a new manifold as my engine managment light has come on so i took the car back to the dealer and it came up with a fault that being that the butterfly was sticking the guy has told me to take it back as he has another machine that can test it and free it up but even if it does free up without taking it out and cleaning it it will soon stick up again
smoothound63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:20   #2
smoothound63

ZT 190+ 2003

Default M G ZT 190+ 2003 v i s motors

Hi all can any one tell me if i can buy new motor units that control the vis if so how much or do you have to buy a new manifold as im having probs with mine took car to garage where i got it from and the guy recons he has a thing hecan plug in to car that will operate the motors and hopfully free them up but dont know if this is bull or not any idea s
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:27   #3
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Lots or useful info already here try the search function and read this

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=140
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 22:37   #4
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

A sticking vis motor is common but will not be the cause behind the mil light being on.They are available separately too.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:07   #5
Prometheus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

I'm not always good with punctuation and comma's and all that other stuff. But boy that was hard for me to read.
My vis vaulve was stuck too had the whole inlet manifold replaced never had the Engine warning light come on though.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:18   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Yes I agree with Lates VIS motors don't seem to cause a Mil light
So you may have something else wrong as well.
Was the car put it Testbook as you need to correctly identify what is causing the Mil light to come on.

There is no such machine that can test and "free them up" they either works or are busted and if so motors can be easily repaired but the inlet manifold is not so easy.
Old 23rd May 2007, 18:56   #7
smoothound63

ZT 190+ 2003

Hi I took the car back today the fault code was a stuck butterfly. The guy plugged his box of tricks in put a little box on the dashboard went to his laptop. With the engine not running he connected via a bluetooth link and was able to operate the balance valve and the other bit it n the manifold which i cannot put a name to now. He was also able to operate many different systems. I could hear the motors in the inlet working. Sorry about my spelling and punctuation. I have dislexia.I Came on here to ask a question about a car and do not feel that it is appropriate to be made to feel that i am dim
Old 23rd May 2007, 19:46   #8
Departed
Retired

--

The motors are repairable, both Keith and myself have done them recently. However the repair might be simple, but also might be a complete .....

On my KV6 both valves weren't working. The relays clicked, but that was all. On one it was dry joints and a faulty microswitch. The other had faulty soldering, a motor blocked up with carbonised oil, a burnt out track, and a damaged motor winding caused by me trying to fix the problem. SWMBO was a bit fed up with the oily bits hanging around, and the car being off the road for two weeks while I played.

On earlier cars the MIL doesn't come on for the fault, mine didn't either. However I would expect that the later cars which are properly OBD compliant (as I understand) would need to put on the lamp for this fault, as it would affect emissions.

The guy with the laptop was using the diagnostics to drive the outputs. Testbook will do this, but I'm sure some other systems will too.

I can't comment on the stuck valve: I only had faulty motors. Now they are fixed, the car is great.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 20:22   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothound63 View Post
Hi I took the car back today the fault code was a stuck butterfly. The guy plugged his box of tricks in put a little box on the dashboard went to his laptop. With the engine not running he connected via a blue tooth link and was able to operate the balance valve and the other bit it n the manifold which i cannot put a name to now. He was also able to operate many different systems. I could hear the motors in the inlet working. Sorry about my spelling and punctuation. I have dyslexia.I Came on here to ask a question about a car and do not feel that it is appropriate to be made to feel that i am dim
I don't think Prometheus was making a comment about you, I think he was referring to the Howto I referenced but if he was referring to you I would expect him to apologise. I to am slightly Dyslexic so spend quite a while having to double check what I write

From your description the mechanic probably used either Testbook or Rovacom via blue tooth either system can do as you describe I have my own Testbook and can do the same tests.

So what was the outcome if he was able to operate both Vis valve motors that would suggest they are at least working but probably do need the repair described above as intermittent faults can lead to erratic performance

A good mechanic should also be able to hear if you have a broken butterfly within the manifold and unfortunately for that you would need a replacement
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:47   #10
smoothound63

ZT 190+ 2003

Hi Keith thanks for your help . When the guy operated the two valves i went over to the car and listened to the they seemed to be moving i also put my hand on them to see if i could feel them moving. As for the performance i cant really comment i have only had the car a week and have not driven one before .I also own an astra softop 2.2 auto and the Z does nt seem to be alot faster but has a lot more grunt.But they are such different car i cant really compare think i will have to see if there are any for sale at any dealers and have a test drive. My car did seem to have a bit of hesitation which seems to be better now touch wood. The idle is not as smooth as some v6 engines i have had before but its far from rough.It does seem a bit firsty i done 115 miles all motor way and A road did nt go over 70 and it only done 25 mpg.There does not seem to be any rattle in the manifold area.The car has only done 28000 miles has a full sevice history.Fuel pump was replaced at 12000 miles. The guy also said if it were his car he woul run it on super unleaded what are your thoughts on premium fuel ?. Any way im rambling on a bit so i will again say thanks to you and every one else who has posted a reply.