Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2009, 17:49   #11
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thanks guys for your kind words and suggestions. All duly noted.

Looks like another big bill will be heading my way, hopefully in the near future

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Old 7th August 2009, 20:30   #12
bobthethird
Avid contributor

Rover75 CDT Saloon Auto

Andy,

Sorry to hear of your problems, and I hope it is not too serious this time, although it may seem silly' but if you want to keep it, I think it would be cost effective in the long run if you have a word with Mr Lates, or a similar expert. Even taking into account towage charges I think it may well pay to get a real expert to look at it.
I feel for you and hope you get it sorted one way or the other very soon, you do not want another 16 weeks of uncertainty.

Regards Bob.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:41   #13
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
I know nothing about diesel. Really sorry to hear this Andrew, Heartbreaking after all you went through.

Wish I could help by GG about covered it, no idea when it comes to oil burners - sorry
Old 7th August 2009, 21:03   #14
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Spoke to Lates this morning whilst waiting for the RAC man, He gave me a couple of pointers, but fair do's, he's booked up till end of August .

I'm beginning to think more of a breakage in the engine itself.,,, piston ring, conrods?

I've a feeling that it's something mechanical this time.......

Who said these engines were bulletproof!!!?

Andrew
Ich Dien

Last edited by Dragrad; 7th August 2009 at 21:05..
Old 8th August 2009, 00:16   #15
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hi Andrew, I am still not sure it can be "major" as the engine turns over freely. Most things like a broken con rod, knackered crank, etc would cause a lock up, or at the very least, make horrible noises when the engine is turned over..

Piston rings would not have stopped the engine, I have had loads of them go in bygone years and had to rebore some engines, but they still ran...

There are not many things that can stop a diesel engine from running really (excluding ECU stuff) the main one being lack of fuel. That is where I would start my search. Check the fuel supply chain working backward from the injectors. Then if that all proves ok, check the timing of the injection and the pressure in the common rail.

Good luck with the car, I hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply.

Last edited by James.uk; 8th August 2009 at 00:18..
Old 8th August 2009, 00:22   #16
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Hi Andrew, I am still not sure it can be "major" as the engine turns over freely. Most things like a broken con rod, knackered crank, etc would cause a lock up, or at the very least, make horrible noises when the engine is turned over..

Piston rings would not have stopped the engine, I have had loads of them go in bygone years and had to rebore some engines, but they still ran...

There are not many things that can stop a diesel engine from running really (excluding ECU stuff) the main one being lack of fuel. That is where I would start my search. Check the fuel supply chain working backward from the injectors. Then if that all proves ok, check the timing of the injection.

Good luck with the car, I hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply.
Interesting.........

There is a "horrible" noise when I crank it...... Sounds as if something is "loose" I first of all I called it a "dry" noise, (How do you describe something you've never heard before?)

The car started OK, ran OK, then when I applied the throttle, for an overtake on a long stretch of clear road, the world fell apart (as in post 1) ?

This has me flummoxed! Never heard the like of it.... and all that smoke?

Fuel tank was just over half, normally never let it run below 3/4... Been a heavy week with many late night meetings

Looking for enlightenment

Andrew
Ich Dien

Last edited by Dragrad; 8th August 2009 at 00:40..
Old 8th August 2009, 11:35   #17
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Hi Andrew

Don't despair. (well, not yet anyway)!

If this has happened twice now with a "normal" bit in between, and both times you have seen a smokescreen, then you would appear to have a problem with drastic overfuelling caused by ???? Have a search on here to see the common causes. Another possibility is the pipes to the turbo. If there is a problem here then I think you would get similar symptoms.

HTH

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
Old 8th August 2009, 12:13   #18
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Sorry couldn't be more help on the phone Andrew!

Can't agree more with Kevlunn's comments though.
Every make suffers a "runt in the pack" or "Friday afternoon car"

We still consider the M47R engine to be "bullet proof" but there are always going to be exceptions with any make

Like I've said before, we only hear "problem stories" on here rather than the 1000's & 1000's of trouble free miles & years owners enjoy that go unreported.

We've owned & used around 15 CDTi's over last 5 years. (also sold over 200 of them !!) Nothing really bad has happened to any of them!

Out of interest Andrew I know this doesn't help you one little bit, but before you owned the Tourer, did it come with Service history docs & proof of mileage, previous MOT's etc .

Regards
Jules

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Old 8th August 2009, 12:36   #19
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>There is a "horrible" noise when I crank it...... Sounds as if something is "loose" <<<

Now that is not good news! the question becomes.. Is it cheaper to replace the engine, or to repair the existing one..??

If -- you decide to repair, then the head has to come off first, if that shows nothing amiss, then it's an engine out job, and a replacement engine becomes viable, there doesn't seem to be a third option.

To start out on the repair route -- We need to list the things that can come loose and stop the engine running, not just that, but that can stop the engine suddenly without a lock up.. Not many things fit the bill really, whatever it is, it had to dissable at least 2 cylinders.. Hmmm, I just wish I knew more about the common rail fueling system...

Bear in mind this is not a "75r" issue, it is an M47r engine problem, so maybe the people on this site can help, they have some very experienced diesel engineers as members.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ They are an offshoot of the original GSF site, so they include German and Swedish cars.

Last edited by James.uk; 8th August 2009 at 12:42..
Old 8th August 2009, 13:14   #20
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Andrew, sorry to hear of your problems.

From your original post it would seem to have suffered an over fuelling problem and some form of mechanical damage to one or more cylinders.

Have come across similar occurrences and my first reaction would be to remove all 4 injectors, as it is not unknown for the tip of the injectors to shear off due to either age or metal fatigue where they enter the cylinder.

The injector body would still be sealing so giving compression but neat fuel entering instead of fine spray giving black smoke.

If one or more tips have broken off and dropped into the cylinder would be enough to cause mechanical damage to cylinder head and piston also possible valve and seat damage.

If it is not the injectors then it will give you the opportunity to do a compression check.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread