Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2009, 14:41   #1
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts
Unhappy One year on..... Here we go again .....

Engine's dead again!!!

Going to work this morning, she started fine, ran fine. Gently accelerating and overtaking, when all of a sudden the car lost power, looked in the rear view mirror and black smoke billowing behind, then the engine died.

I coasted to a layby, and tried to start the engine.... Horrible "dry" sound and seemingly no compression (engine turning over rapidly). Not even trying to start.

I'm on first name terms with the RAC man now!!

Took the engine cover off, no sign of anything that should not be there, oil level ok (no sign of water - did not have a chance to check the state of the water as the RAC man arrived). No oil leaks apparent.

PCV and all filters and fluids done in the last 6 months or so, with low mileage and no towing.

NO warning lights or indicators, no EP, no nothing, just normal dash lights on turning the key.

The RAC man said "It sounds expensive" Unfortunately I think I agree.

I don't think its got anything do to with the electronics, sounds a mechanical problem.
Camshaft, turbo, ???? Any ideas?

Car in local garage, feel more confident as there is no electrical work involved...

It would be nice to actually get one year of trouble-free motoring....

Signed......

Resigned....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 9th August 2009 at 19:33..
Old 7th August 2009, 14:52   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I know nothing about diesel. Really sorry to hear this Andrew, Heartbreaking after all you went through.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:04   #3
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

I know what you mean Andrew, If its not one thing its another, I have had nothing but troubles for the last year too.

Tony

Membership No 135
Old 7th August 2009, 15:06   #4
kevin

ford focus ghia

hope its a lot easier then last time to repair. sorry to hear your car has let you down again.

I know how your felling im indoors waiting for the RAC to come hope they can find the fault on my car..
Old 7th August 2009, 15:27   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hi Andrew.

I am really sorry to hear your car broke down again, and am hoping it turns out to be a simple fix this time.

I doubt the car would stop if the turbo packed up, and if the engine turns over freely then that rules out the cam chain breaking. Same for a camshft really as the valves would foul the piston tops.

We can rule out injectors as they wont all go at once.. Could be the fuel pump I spose, but I'm thinking more elec than mechanical.. Fingers crossed it's just a failed sensor.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:28   #6
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Andrew, just don't know what to say, other than expressing sympathy.

Malcolm
Old 7th August 2009, 15:46   #7
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

Sorry to hear you have trouble with the engine again Andrew. I hope it can be sorted soon.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:58   #8
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

We are very sorry to hear of your troubles with the car once again, we sincerely hope you get it fixed quickly and without too much cost.
Kind regards.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:59   #9
majedm75

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

I'm sorry to hear again of your engine trouble Andrew. I sincerly hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:08   #10
Kevlunn
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer Conn SE CDTi auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Engine's dead again!!!

Going to work this morning, she started fine, ran fine. Gently accelerating and overtaking, when all of a sudden the car liost power, looked in the rear view mirror and black smoke billowing behind, then the engine died.

I coasted to a layby, and trried to start the engine.... Horrible "dry" sound and seemingly no compression (engine turning over rapidly). Not even trying to start.

I'm on first name terms with the RAC man now!!

Took the engine cover off, no sign of anything that should not be there, oil level ok (no sign of water - did not have a chance to check the state of the water as the RAC man arrived). No oil leaks apparent.

PCV and all filters and fluids done in the last 6 months or so, with low mileage and no towing.

NO warning lights or indicators, no EP, no nothing, just normal dash lights on turning the key.

The RAC man said "It sounds expensive" Unfortunately I think I agree.

I don't think its got anything do to with the electronice, sounds a mechanical problem.
Camshaft, turbo, ???? Any ideas?

Car in local garage, feel more confident as there is no electrical work involved...

It would be nice to actually get one year of trouble-free motoring....

Signed......
My first 75 was a 51 reg CDT saloon in Gold - an ex demonstrator. I had more trouble with that car than any other car I had owned - and it was always the same problem. The fuel pressure sensor located in the end of the common rail would begin to pack up - and then fail completely. I was taken into Rover dealerships on the back of a low-loader more times than I would care to recount!

The problem was that the garages could never discover what was causing the problem. Initially, of course, they just replaced the pressure sensor (which is a simple diaphragm switch). After it had failed for the third time, however, they began to twig that it was not the sensor that was the problem but something else that was causing the sensor to fail. It seemed obvious to me - the sensor was failing because the common rail was being over-pressurised.

This problem continued until after the car was over three years old but, because it was an ongoing problem, they continued to deal with it under warranty - which was fine in one respect - but didn't remove the inconvenience of the regular breakdowns. The car once broke down completely in the middle of a roundabout - you can imagine the chaos *that* caused (my wife was fuming)!

In the end, I came to the end of my tether and decided that I would get rid of the car and never wanted to see a Rover 75 ever again. I made arrangements to go and view a nearly-new Volvo S60 but the day before the appointment the 75 broke down again! This time the garage claimed that it wasn't the sensor but rather the ECU (although the symptoms were identical!). They then dropped the bombshell that ECUs were on back-order and no-one knew when they would be coming in!

I was due to go on a caravanning holiday, towing the van down to Devon in a couple of weeks time - and just went ballistic. The dealership (James Edwards in Chester) contacted MG/Rover and they offered me a pre-registered CDTi Tourer - (my present car, a Conny SE auto in Firefrost Red) at a substantial discount. Initially I almost told them where to stick it, I was so ticked off with 75's - but when they brought the car around to show me I was won over - it looked superb!
The list price was, I believe, around £25k, and they offered it to me for £18k with a further £8k trade-in on my old heap (which they sent off to auction the moment it was running again!). That was in June 2004. I still have the Tourer and, apart from replacing the battery and alternator (and just recently the fan resistor), it has been totally reliable. No break-downs at all this time.
I'm now very glad that I swallowed my anger and decided to go for the Tourer because it has been a superb car- and I love it!
The Gold saloon that kept breaking down was DG51 JXN - so I hope none of you ended up with it!!

Last edited by GreyGhost; 7th August 2009 at 18:14..
Closed Thread