Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2007, 17:20   #1
sebguy87

MG ZT

Default KV6 160 Inlet Manifold and VIS Motors

Hi all,

First of all great site and thanks, have been browsing silently for a while now and it's been a massive help with a number of things. I've finally got the money together to buy a new inlet manifold... the rattle is unbearable!

I paid for the part, but also enquired about replacing the VIS motors as I'm worried that they've burned out. The guy at the local garage says that the VIS motors come included in the assembly. Can anybody confirm that this is usually the case?

Also, does everybody think it's worth paying around £220 to get it fitted?

Can it go awfully wrong with my haynes manual and the correct tools?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by sebguy87; 23rd May 2007 at 17:34..
sebguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:34   #2
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi sebguy87,

Glad to see you posting at last

I would of thought that the unit should be fairly easy to swap over as long as you know you way around a spanner, but wait for one of our smart guys to reply

let us know how you get on and the difference you find in power.

Good luck
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 20:34   #3
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I didn't think you could buy the manifold without new motors?
Lates may confirm that but if you can buy a genuine brand new manifold less motors I would certainly go that route first and over haul the original motors.

The motors will either be ok or not there is not really a middle ground it will be the switches on the PCB that will most likely need attention, easy to do.
As for £220 to fit it that seems steep for what I think is no more than two hours work max, I personally would diy it
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 11:44   #4
Prometheus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default I did it ... With some help

I changed my manifold about 3 months ago. yes the Vis motors come included in the new manifold and are already secured in place. It's all pretty straight forward.

Remove airbox. Easy
Remove battery box/battery. Done to get some space.
Remove engine cover. Easy
Remove Trhottle body assembly. This is kinda sucky cause there is one hose on there that you can't seem to disconnect on the TB itself maybe somewhere else i just left it connected and put it to the side. (While disconnected give it a good clean !!)

Disconnect lines hoses (maybe even keep track hoses lines and plugs you disconnect)

Remove manifold ( harder 2 bolts at the back are a pain. Need a good ratchet for that.

Top TIP
Check if your due for Sparkplug change. Cause with the manifold off the sparkplugs are easally changed.

Prising the manifold off need a good prybarr for that cause the rubber seals that plug it in the engine are tight on there (you get new ones with your manifold)

Refitting you need pretty stern force to put the manifold on.

And take pictures if you do do it yourself so you know where what goes back when in doubt

Overall impression pretty doable just take it easy and step by step.

i did it with my uncle he's a Mechanic with his own garage (lucky me) A safety net with 30 yrs of auto machanic is pretty nice

Total time 2 hours 30 mins.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 20:55   #5
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Replacing this manifold should be reasonable easy for a self-taught mechanic,but I would always take pictures before hand and during to make sure you can see what goes where when putting things back. Digital cameras have now made this very easy. I used to use a Polaroid instant camera (remember them !!). The new Haynes book is quite good too. There is also a Russian web-site with a load of drawings of the engine components.

www.rover2/ru

It's in 'Russian' english. Funny how the Ruskis have all the info. Must be those KGB types had Rovers as company cars !

On the other hand.............

If it really is 2 hours then around £40-50 an hour is reasonable, giving a price of £80-100 plus the VAT = £94 - 117. £220 looks a bit toooo much to me.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 22:17   #6
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Another link to the site above but put through a Russian/English translation program first.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...c%2Fr%2F122520
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 22:20   #7
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebguy87 View Post
Hi all,

First of all great site and thanks, have been browsing silently for a while now and it's been a massive help with a number of things. I've finally got the money together to buy a new inlet manifold... the rattle is unbearable!

I paid for the part, but also enquired about replacing the VIS motors as I'm worried that they've burned out. The guy at the local garage says that the VIS motors come included in the assembly. Can anybody confirm that this is usually the case?

Also, does everybody think it's worth paying around £220 to get it fitted?

Can it go awfully wrong with my haynes manual and the correct tools?

Thanks in advance
£220 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New motors do come with the manifold and and hour is standard book time to replace. ps you have email
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 09:58   #8
sebguy87

MG ZT

Thanks for your response all

I can't really build up the courage to diy it incase anything goes wrong or I don't put something back properly so I'm going to take it up to Lates (can't fault the quote for fitting)

I'll let you all know when it's done and whether I notice a difference in power (it does seem a bit lazy at times.. especially at lower revs so hopefully this will sort it)

Thanks again for all your advice
sebguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote