Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th May 2007, 16:46   #11
Horntourer

75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 bhp (with RR STM1D)

JDC - many thanks for your continued interest in this.

Among the possible causes suggested were an intermittent fault with the cam or crank sensor, one injector with intermittent leak back, the pressure regulator solenoid on the HP pump sticking or underbonnet pump jamming.

The solutions Ron suggested included using Millers Diesel Plus in the fuel and
getting a can of switch/contact cleaner and spraying the engine sensor contacts - cam sensor, fuel rail sensor and if possible, the crank sensor.

To date I have used the Millers Diesel Plus, and acquired a can of contact cleaner. I've used a couple of tanks of diesel with the Millers in it and it seems to me that the car goes a bit better (although since fitting the Synergy unit it has always been good).

However, my problem is that there appears to be no clear cause for the problem, and it has only happened twice in a year, so I have no way of knowing what works and what does not. For example, the absence of the problem for the next six months would not confirm that the pressure regulator solenoid had been jamming and now does not because of the treatment.

I will shortly be cleaning all the sensor contacts as suggested (been a bit pressed for time recently!), but I am at a loss to know how to find out if there is a fault on the sensors if the diagnostics don't show anything, adn I guess the only alternative would be to replace them anyway. Snag is that cleaning them might solve the problem - but again, how can I know given the extremely rare occurrence of the fault?

Anyway, I will keep you posted, and I will keep a lookout for other posts with a similar problem.

Cheers,

Chris
Horntourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 22:53   #12
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Intermitent Faults are a Pain in the new know where in any product you are Trying to repair.
Once everything cleaned, hopefully there will be no reacurrence, as you say if it doesn't read faulty do you change it? Don't think I would until everything else checked out.
Will keep our fingers crossed for you.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 23:24   #13
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

I have same year car and CDT 2.0 and have had same problem. As has already been mentioned here it was the front fuel pump. Wiggle the wires going into the top of the pump next time it wont start.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 21:17   #14
andrewmsteve
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Wink itermitant breakdown

had this problem somtime back soaking wet ecu run asearch on this site
andrewmsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:16   #15
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Had exact symptoms at christmas and always after short journeys, when left overnight car started perfect.
I removed the camshaft sensor from the head and gave it a good allover clean, had no problems since, touch wood.
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:21   #16
Rufras
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

My one also did this last Christmas where I was visiting a supermarket and 20 minutes later it would turn over and would not start. I called RAC and they were there in 10 minutes, the RAC guy used to work with Land Rover with the TD4 (same BMW M47 engine)and showed me how to start it by leaving it in ignition position II for at least 10minutes, where it started, apparently it the pumps are starting to fail you have to do this so that they get up to pressure. I took the precaution of adding Redex soon after and the problem has never re-occurred.strange?
Rufras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:05   #17
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Hmm not too sure what leaving the ignition on for 10 minutes will achieve
The pumps start to run when the ignition is switched on but are then turned off by the ECU about a minute later they don't run again till the ignition is cycled again or an attempt to start the engine is made
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 22:07   #18
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Would'nt it depend on which of pressure or time made the ECU switch the pumps off ??

If pressure maybe leaving on for 10 minutes gives the failing pump a chance to get to a workable pressure ??
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote