Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th August 2016, 20:39   #51
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Good news Brian, she is back, better than ever before, all 6 cylinders running as they should be Its such a big relief, even SWMBO had a tear in here eye when we heard that gorgeous purr again.
Fantastic news! There's nothing like the sound of a KV6 purring at its best

much kudos to Phil

Ben.

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 20:49   #52
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bed_sat View Post
Fantastic news! There's nothing like the sound of a KV6 purring at its best

much kudos to Phil

Ben.
Thanks Ben, she sounded great before, now she sounds amazing, who needs a V8.

SWMBO and my daughters gave her a polish this morning, we took her out on her new belts, drove to Burley out in the New Forest.

Couldn't resist a pic.

Last edited by Dallas; 16th August 2016 at 20:51..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 07:26   #53
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Ref: the rattle/clatter the engine had previously, as seen in the Youtube clip... we think it was the tensioner at fault (the next few days will confirm this), I hope.

Ref: the deep knocking cam sound the engine had after the mobile mechanic had attempted to time the engine using the tipex method, he hadn't tensioned the front belt correctly, the allen key on the tensioner was way too tight. The mobile mechanic had timed the engine using the rear belts, he had already removed the front belt due to himself thinking he would use the 2.5 tool to get the cams locked in place on the 190 (the timing was out by one-two teeth).

The mobile mechanic was not confident to change the rear belts due to all the stress and problems he was experiencing, so the job would have never been 100% completed.

He hadn't even tightened any of the bolts on the engine mount.

I'm sure Phil will be along to explain it better than what I have.

Well i have finally recovered now, just in time to start another V6 cambelt and waterpump change today!

Yes the timing was out and the free play on the belt around the water pump was too loose for my liking, The concentric tensioner pulley wheel had been wound round too far and caused the tensioner pin to be pushed fully home all the time.
So basically it was a case of stripping it down again, removing the belt and setting it all up and then changing the rear belts and putting it all back together and tightening up the bolts

The noise at start up was due to lack of oil, the mechanic had replaced the filter etc, but not primed up the system before starting it by removing the main relay and cranking until the oil pressure light went out and then topping it back up after the filter was full and the element was fully soaked in oil.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 18:27   #54
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Well i have finally recovered now, just in time to start another V6 cambelt and waterpump change today!
Phil, we were stood in the sun for at least 8 hours, its not surprising some recovery was needed but great for the body to produce vitamin D.

Thanks again Phil.
Old 17th August 2016, 18:43   #55
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
The noise at start up was due to lack of oil, the mechanic had replaced the filter etc, but not primed up the system before starting it by removing the main relay and cranking until the oil pressure light went out ...
I have an alternative (and simpler) method of priming the lubrication system. I fill the filter manually before fitting it to the engine.

Simon
Old 17th August 2016, 20:01   #56
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have an alternative (and simpler) method of priming the lubrication system. I fill the filter manually before fitting it to the engine.

Simon
I thought everyone filled the filter before putting it back on!! Have I been doing it wrong for 35 years (I`m no mechanic by the way).
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 22:05   #57
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
I`m no mechanic by the way ..
Oh yes you are!

Simon
Old 18th August 2016, 21:03   #58
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
Yes i always do that too, a bit difficult on a 1.8 K series with its horizontal filter and I always crank it over afterwards until the light goes out, just filling up the filter doesn't actually "prime" the system as you're not circulating the fresh oil
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 20:51   #59
Dallas
This is my second home

Well! its been a few days now, and I cant believe how quiet the engine is, she sounds so smooth.

All you hear is the deep deep burble, I cant believe a timing belt kit can make that much difference.

Thats her done for another 6 years, because she certainly wont rack up the miles, I keep her wrapped up in cotton wool.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

Phil T4 you're the man, thanks again Phil. You are always welcome to pop in when ever you are passing.
Old 30th January 2020, 00:00   #60
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default Timing is everything!

Hi Folks,

Wes, I thought I'd resurrect this one as it appears that my V6 160 has just developed what appears to be an eerily similar cold start-up 'knock' to what you had over 3 years ago. Irregular and like a knock not a rattle.

Ironically, mine has done 24k miles since a full belts, idler, tensioner and waterpump service was carried out using Conti belts and INA units (not sure on waterpump TBH).

It's going quiet after about 30 seconds for me but it appears that there is some belt tension lacking from cold and it does sound like something is tapping the cover.

Just wondering if the tensioner has simply reached the limit of available travel on the piston as I have no other odd noises like bearings giving up (that was the reason I got them done last time at 56k miles - now nearly 80k).

I have a bit of investigating I might do but am I to assume that I have to accept that it's all going to have to be done again after just 25ish thousand miles?

Regards,

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote