Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2018, 14:00   #21
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Thanks for reply, ACS, No mention on P47, or in the index. It may be that in 2001, it was a new option, and the handbook had not been updated. There is no evidence of anything ever being fitted in the armrest cubby; I know from reading on the internet that's where the timers tend to be fitted on CDTis. I suspect mine is the basic installation - apparently activated either by opening the door or starting the engine. BTW, how long does it take before you start getting warm air?
I must admit I thought in the early days that it was a standard fit.
Using my remote I tend to switch it on for 15/20 mins and the car windscreen is defrosted and the car is warm.
There is a way of forcing theFBH to fire up (try a search)
If the PCB has gone kaput which is quite likely then FrenchMike can test and repair them.
Look at post #9 & 10

Last edited by another_clean_sheet; 27th January 2018 at 14:02.. Reason: addition
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018, 15:22   #22
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Thanks for reply, ACS, No mention on P47, or in the index. It may be that in 2001, it was a new option, and the handbook had not been updated. There is no evidence of anything ever being fitted in the armrest cubby; I know from reading on the internet that's where the timers tend to be fitted on CDTis. I suspect mine is the basic installation - apparently activated either by opening the door or starting the engine. BTW, how long does it take before you start getting warm air?
The timer if fitted at the factory was inside the armrest. If fitted retrospectively it could be anywhere. However since you mention it being activated by opening a door, this phenomenon is a symptom of a faulty PCB as they do that when the car wakes up.

If working correctly you will get warm air within a couple of minutes.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018, 19:23   #23
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Thought I'd jump into an existing Webasto thread. Just discovered that my 2001 CDT has a Webasto heater fitted in front of the battery, I assume it's OEM, not retro-fitted. Question is, what makes it operate - I can't find any reference to it in the owner's handbook, and I haven't found any switches for it on the dash. Is it supposed to start automatically, when the temperature drops to a certain level, or do I choose when it should be on? As it's there, it would be nice to make sure it works. I am going to be setting off for work at 6.00 or earlier for the next few weeks, and there is plenty of time for frosts yet, so it would be nice to get into a pre-warmed motored.

You dont have to have an original webasto telestart to switch it on as plenty of cheaper aftermarket remotes can easily be wired in to make it start as a parking heater whilst you are still in the house , can also be wired to the ATC to bring on the cabin heater after five minutes or your own pre determined time

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 11th June 2018 at 17:21..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 19:43   #24
r2andy

Rover

Hi all.
Mike I have more questions, sorry!

I set the heater up on a test bench today with switched earth to pin 3, and tested all things properly and the water pump fault never appeared!

I flicked the switch and after a few seconds the fan went on full and got the fault on the glow plug/flame monitor short circuit, so I pluged in the heater from the bmw to check that one worked and it tested fine. So instead of taking them apart to change plugs over, I just swoped the pcb's as that was easer.

So now i have the bmw unit (with tested working glow plug) with the rover pcb in it.
Now when I plugged it in to test, it said glow plug/flame monitor interuption and underneath that, flame detector interigation 1.
I am now stuck and need your wisdom!

Andy.
r2andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 19:44   #25
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

So assuming mine was OEM fitted, and it has no evidence of ever having a timer/controller in the armrest, are you saying it would have originally been started with a remote? If not, how was it activated?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 20:26   #26
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
So assuming mine was OEM fitted, and it has no evidence of ever having a timer/controller in the armrest, are you saying it would have originally been started with a remote? If not, how was it activated?
If it has no remote then it works as a supplementary heater and will come on when the temp is 5 degrees or below and the engine is started, what I said was you can easily add a remote so you can switch it on without the engine running to warm up the car before you get in it

Robs Car Gallery

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 10th February 2018 at 17:57..
Old 28th January 2018, 20:39   #27
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2andy View Post
Hi all.
Mike I have more questions, sorry!

I set the heater up on a test bench today with switched earth to pin 3, and tested all things properly and the water pump fault never appeared!

I flicked the switch and after a few seconds the fan went on full and got the fault on the glow plug/flame monitor short circuit, so I pluged in the heater from the bmw to check that one worked and it tested fine. So instead of taking them apart to change plugs over, I just swoped the pcb's as that was easer.

So now i have the bmw unit (with tested working glow plug) with the rover pcb in it.
Now when I plugged it in to test, it said glow plug/flame monitor interuption and underneath that, flame detector interigation 1.
I am now stuck and need your wisdom!

Andy.
Are you sure the faults showing are not the historical ones from the Rover board being in the Rover FBH which has the glow plug issue?
What does the BMW heater do with the Rover pcb in it, does it continue running or shut down? It should run until coolant gets to 71 and go onto part load before reaching 77 when it goes into idle mode,

Robs Car Gallery

Old 28th January 2018, 21:16   #28
r2andy

Rover

I cleared the faults in the rover pcb before I took it out.
I don't know why the rover pcb would keep saying glow plug interuption when the same glow plug and burner tested ok when connected to the bmw pcb.

Would interuption mean connection loss/break in cable somewhere?
Old 28th January 2018, 21:36   #29
trebor
This is my second home

Is the heater shutting down ?

Robs Car Gallery

Old 28th January 2018, 21:49   #30
r2andy

Rover

Yes, when I earth pin 3 the fan revs up for a split second, then about a seconds pause, then the fault shows, then the fan goes flat out for 2 mins and it says Cooling, then it all stops.