Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2017, 19:27   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default How quickly should the engine get hot?

Okay, I know I'm stupid, but I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this. I noticed the engine temperature gauge goes from nothing to exactly half way pretty quickly, and then stays there. The engine fan comes on fairly quickly too. I've driven it gently, less gently, thrapped the living bejeezus out of it, done lots of miles nice and slowly and gently, then played rally-man brain dead moron for a bit, and the needle doesn't move. The air blowing thingies allow hot air in to the windscreen even when the climate control heater is off so I know it is getting hot, but that needle never moves.

I don't think it's a problem as such, but I've never had a car get hot so quickly. Well, I have, but that blew up due to it eating all its oil and farting out its water for a laugh. I was just curious if this rapid heating is normal for 1.8T.

<--- this is such a cute emoticon!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 19:33   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

If the temp gauge moves past the 9 0'clock position, it's too late cooked engine. Using the obd to display actual running temp is the best option. If your fan is running then it's faulty
How to display engine temp http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=185808
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 19:41   #3
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

The temperature gauge on the dash is pretty much useless. It will register half way, 9 o'clock from (you will find more accurate numbers here) about 80 to 110 degrees. Use the OBD to get more accurate temp readings, search for info on how to do this, it's simple enough. Also, you don't really quantify what you mean by the engine getting hot quickly, how quickly ? Just basic cooling checks it seems to me. Coolant level ? Radiator fan working correctly ? does fan run when you press demist button ? Plenty of stuff to read about on here.
Good luck.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 19:52   #4
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Yes the k series does heat up nice and quickly but the dash temp gauge is as much use as a chocolate teapot use the ipk for accurate temp
Old 14th March 2017, 19:56   #5
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Hmmmm. How quickly? Well, I'd say it gets to the halfway mark in about 3 miles or so. Call it 10 minutes or so. And that's just driving normally not using the thrusters, so to speak.
Fan doesn't seem to run dependant on anything else, and I've checked the oil and water and stuff and that seems normal. It's off to the garage next Friday for a check on the 3500 rev hiccough thingy (taking my printout of the answers to my thread for the mechanic because he'll probably understand them).
Not sure how the radiator fan works normally, so don't know if it's within parameters or not.
I'll have a look at checking the engine diagnostic doofah and see what the actual temperature is.
Thanks.

Last edited by Arryhall; 14th March 2017 at 19:58.. Reason: I can't spell!
Old 14th March 2017, 20:09   #6
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

I would say that is a pretty normal time for the engine to get warm enough to make the gauge read 9 o'clock. The fan check thing is simple enough, from start up, select demist and the radiator fan should run. Often they don't and the cause is a failed resistor, but this depends on your fan type, some are 2 speed, some 3 speed and people seem to change them, mine was a case of putting in an updated 'gold' resistor. I'm sure people who know this stuff off of the top of their heads will be along soon to assist you, else all the info you could possibly ask for is lurking somewhere on these forums
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 20:33   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

part of the k-series design is to allow for a quick warm up time

if your fan is coming on then the engine is around 106 degrees minimum - assuming your low speed setting is working.

the fan resistor is prone to failing on the low speed fan setting - it's easy to check if your low speed fan is functioning

with the heating control on economy press the front demist button - then check to see if the radiator fan is running - if not the resistor needs replacing

i'd be cautious taking a K-series Rover to a Garage for any diagnosis - they have an (unfair) negative rep

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 21:31   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Though they warm up quickly, the 1.8T shouldn't get warm enough to trip on the cooling fan except in specific situations that can be easily explained. It's not normal to drive with the fan running other than when the aircon system in operation. If you drive with the climate control permanently on (as suggested in the Handbook), the slow speed fan should start immediately and run continuously. However, your description suggests the fan starts sometime after driving off and does so irrespective of driving conditions. This is not normal and may be due to overheating, either of the engine or the aircon system. The absence of the slow speed may be the reason, but the running temperature should be checked to eliminate overheating as the cause. Loss of the slow speed for aircon purposes wouldn't normally cause the high speed to trip when moving at any significant speed due to the cooling ram effect. These sort of experiences is why I fitted a proper temperature gauge. The typical running temperature for the 1.8T is around 90C except in slow traffic, when it warms up more, possibly tripping the slow speed fan.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 06:54   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

There is a lot to be said for using distilled water in your cooling system once flushed. A lot of us live in hard water areas and have you seen inside your kettle?

I have seen the drive it method of using these flushing products before, works well on cars with 100% intact cooling systems but they do have a tendency of finding any holes so be careful. The problem is the scale and clagg you are removing tends to block up small holes, I suggest if you use this method you go out with a large bottle of water to top up just in case.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 14:25   #10
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I do plan on taking the heater matrix out and giving it a thorough clean which will mean replacing all the coolant. If it stays dry for a few days that is!

As for the fan, I think that was my fault. I turned off the heater, but the rear screen demister comes on automatically when it's cold which I didn't know but is awesome. In turning off the rear demister, I turned back on the heater which turned on the air con, so the running fan I heard when stopped was the air con which I inadvertently turned on. And I had done varied orders of this several times, hence the fan was on hence my thoughts it was the engine getting too hot. It does warm up fast, but seemingly not dangerously so and I am an idiot.
Thanks though people. It's nice to know these things.